Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

1971 31' Sovereign
edinburg , Texas
swirl marks on upper part of roof

Can anyone recomend how take off swirl marks, started to polish 71 airstream last week 90% of trailer has the mirror finish, except upper roof section has visible swirl marks .

Thanks!! Caldan / 2 1/2 yr. project almost done first timer stream owner
caldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Picture would be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldan View Post
Can anyone recomend how take off swirl marks, started to polish 71 airstream last week 90% of trailer has the mirror finish, except upper roof section has visible swirl marks .

Thanks!! Caldan / 2 1/2 yr. project almost done first timer stream owner

I have an idea of what went wrong. If I saw some pictures I could be sure. What I think might have happened is during the compounding process, you have to cut the distance between the vertical paths used in order to get a smooth compounding.

In my experience, while compounding the straight panels with a 7" pad, I got a good 4" area of completely compounded surface. I dotted F7 vertically about 3 inches apart and worked it with steady pressure and angle as I brought the polisher down the panel. I found it best to go from right to left because the excess polish will be picked up on the following pass.

Where I came on a problem was around the curved panels coming down from the roof. Because it is higher and curved, it is harder to keep the polisher at the optimum angle to get a proper compounding pass. The added softness of the panels makes the compounding pad contact more area, thus distributing the needed pressure across a larger area. It seems only about 2" of the center of the pad (instead of the normal 4") are properly compounded. Everything looks the same until you Cyclo when any inperfections show up. It is best to lessen the vertical path of the pass to 2" from the center of the last pass (at least on the curved upper panels). This way the compounding process will be evenly done across the panel.

This problem is especially noticeable in the sunlight and good lighting. It looks like cloudy, milky grey vertical stripes to about the top of the windows?

Hope you can follow what I was trying to write and also hope it helps.
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
If you have the $ to purchase a cyclo polisher, they take all the swirls out with some Nuvite S polish. Easy as pie.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote