Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2002, 01:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Stripping...Clearcoat that is!

Well, I started stripping clearcoat this weekend...there's no going back now! I've added a page to our website under "During", then "Stripping & Polishing" to share my thoughts...

Maxwell's Webpage

Any suggestions, would be appreciated...

Here's to shiny trailers!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 04:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Stripping with the best of em!

I am also currently in the process of stripping my 67 Caravel. I found that the spray works great for the hard to reach and brush areas on the roof. No doubt that the thick gooey paint on is best for the sides. Have never tried the BIX ... I will stick with the aircraft paint remover. My after pictures will be posted soon.

Anyone in Chicagoland have a dual Cyclo I could rent?
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Hello my fellow stripper!

Good point about using the areosol on the hard to reach places. One question though...

If you're using it on "hard to reach areas", how then do you remove it?

I find that I have to wipe it off by hand, hosing it off doesn't work...it's just too gooey. Do you suppose that's because of the lack of humidity here in Denver vs. Chicago? Does hosing it off work for you?

I haven't yet gotten to the roof part...I just assumed I would build some sort of scaffolding to reach it better....any other suggestions?

Shari
Old 07-16-2002, 07:46 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Strippin and Hosin

Shari,

Fortunately for strippin purposes, Most of the clear cote on the top of my Caravel had failed and long turned to dust.

I was able to reach the top areas with a large ladder and WAS
able to hose and wipe it off accordingly.

I have been amazed by the different actions and reactions the both aerosol and paint have had on different areas of my trailer.

No panel has acted the same against this chemical onslaught.

I WILL be renting scaffolding when I polish.

But thats another chapter waiting to be written.

The photo I uploaded doesn't do the change justice. (Cheap old Digital Camera)

Film at 11:00.

Dave
Old 07-16-2002, 08:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks Dave ~

Especially,

"I have been amazed by the different actions and reactions the both aerosol and paint have had on different areas of my trailer."

...I thought I was nuts or the fumes were getting to me! I ran into the same thing...some areas seemed as though they had different clearcoat products applied because they reacted so differently. Some areas bubbled-up real nice others just turned to sludge...

Hmmmm...I'll have to try the aerosol on those %*$#*! "tough spots" I came across...I guess I just assumed it wouldn't be any different. That's why I got out the Bix to see if it would do the trick, to no avail!

Thanks again...

Shari

P.S. I can see the difference in the photos...looks GREAT!
Old 07-16-2002, 09:02 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Strippin show and tell

Shari,

Thanks for the kind words! I need all the encouragement I can get.

The people around here just don't understand my Aluminumitis.

They are trying to find a cure.

Dave
Old 01-04-2003, 04:54 PM   #7
JLD
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JLD
Aerosol stripper

What aerosol stripper are you using and why not use ift for the entire trailer if it works so well?
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 05:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Strippin......

It was the Aircraft Paint remover .... only in a spray can.

The reasons for not usin it on the entire camper .....

Twofold:

1. Like any spray on application .... the potential for OVERSPRAY!

2. COST!

Good Luck- good strippin!

DMC
Old 03-14-2003, 10:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Marshall44
My Wal-Mart doesn't carry Aircraft Stripper. Does anybody have any other suggestions where I might find it?

Thanks. Marshall
Marshall44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 10:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool Bug'em

Marshall44
I also found that, the local Wally's World fixer upper didn't carry it..
Sooooo, I just bugged'em till they got it in..
It worked.....
Good luck~
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 11:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
We found it at Auto Zone. It was in the spray can, pint and gallon cans.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 03-15-2003, 06:54 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Stipping, paint... that is

I just got through with my 31' Excella 1978 vintage. I would be very careful with spray strippers. I don't think inhaling the mist would be too good for the lungs. Probably best to wear a respirator.

I used the gooey Aircraft Stripper by Kleen Strip. It is toxic and you need gloves and eye protection but it works great. I used a cheap brush to put it on and a soft plastic scraper to take it off. There was always some crystalized paint left after the first application and a second coatj worked in with the brush took care of that. The result was a clean smooth finish. I rinsed with water. Check out www.perfectpolish.com for some great hints.

I have pictures of the progress and finished job on airstreamphotos.com

Good luck! Stripping is easy, polishing is another matter. My new arms and shoulders are on order.
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 02:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I started the polishing project on my Overlander this weekend, took advantage of the three day weekend and overcast skies. I found a stripper that I believe will knock the socks off any others. Tried all the so-called aircraft strippers and Citristrip which will work, but too slow for me. Tried some Jasco Sealer and Adhesive remover which I had left over from my door gasket debacle and it kicks butt! Comes in gallons and is on the shelf at your Home Depot. A semi-paste that takes about five seconds, yes five seconds, to turn the clearcoat white and crinkle it up! Afterwards wash it down while scrubbing it a little with a soft white scuff pad and your done! It is very aggresive stuff, be sure to wear gloves, long sleeve shirt and eye protection!! Hasn't eaten my blue trim but will make Vulkem get a little soft.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Chas;

I think you might want to give Jasco a call (714)547-6951. The MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Jasco Sealer and Adhesive Remover states:

INCOMPATIBILITY (MATERIALS TO AVOID)
ALUMINUM, POSSIBLY SODIUM, POTASSIUM AND MAGNESIUM.

The full MSDS can be found here.

Jasco MSDS

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Oh man, my trailer was melted down into a molten puddle of aluminum this morning!! Pics to follow! I guess I should have read the can?

Seriously now, it hasn't done any damage as far as I can see but did get to my porchlite lense, I need to be sure and tape off all of my lites before I proceed any further. I did cyclo a few areas just to see what the outcome will be and I am impressed, just worried about how much maintenance it's gonna be to keep it up for now on.

Chas
Old 04-21-2003, 04:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I sent an email to Jasco and this is their reply. She really does not say why Aluminum is listed in the Compatibility section.

Hello;

I have read the MSDS on Jasco Sealer and Adhesive Remover. It states:

INCOMPATIBILITY (MATERIALS TO AVOID)
ALUMINUM, POSSIBLY SODIUM, POTASSIUM AND MAGNESIUM.

Could you tell me why to avoid using it on Aluminum?

Best Regards:
-Bobby Wright

Reply:

If you are using to remove paint from aluminum frames or wheel covers, the Sealer and Adhesive Remover can pit the aluminum, this may be acceptable if you are planning on painting it again.
Most people do not realize that MSD'S are meant for large quantities of material, for fire and explosion hazards, and large spills. Our best information to you is just that. We always suggest to TEST a small area to see the results before doing an entire project.

ROXANNE ECHEVARIA
JASCOCORP

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I checked the can and unless it is written in spanish I don't see any cautions about using it on aluminum. I am almost done stripping and will probably have used 2 gallons of it, heavy clearcoat removal on the sides and hardly any to remove on the roof.

Chas
Old 07-08-2003, 07:41 PM   #18
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Chas,

Thanks for your info on my spare tire concern. Since that doesn't seem to be a critical issue I'm moving that down on my to do list. Since the interior of my new 1969 trailer seems to be in pretty good shape, I think I'm going to focus my immediate attention to the exterior (it looks like it has sat outside its entire 34 year excistence). I was going to first try Citristrip until I ran across this thread. Was Citristip that dissappointing? Do you still recommend the Jasco product?

Thanks

John
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 08:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Jdleezer,

Citristrip would probably work fine on yours if your clearcoat has degraded quite a bit. It worked OK on my roof which had very thin to non-existent clearcoat residues but on the sides it was slow and barely took it off. I would get a small jug of it and try it, always best to use the less agressive regimens first and then move on to the harder stuff. The Jabsco adhesive remover is very agressive, works quick but also drys out quick as so you are best off doing small areas at a time.

Just a warning, the stripping, compounding and cyclo polishing process will take a lot of your time. I have spent untold hours on mine and am still not completely done but man, does it look sharp!! Try to space it out between camping trips, you will occasionally wonder"what have heck I gotten into" but keep the course, 1,000 points of light, etc., etc., you will eventually finish it!

Chas
Old 07-12-2003, 07:59 PM   #20
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Chas,

Camping trips? Are you suppose to take these vintage Airstreams camping? I thought they were just oversized lawn fixtures. And if I don't get mine moved to the back yard soon the subdivision police are going to come-a-knocking.

I'm now waiting for cooler weather before I start the stripping/polishing process. These Texas summers are killing me.

I also rarely camp in the summer, to many crowds and to hot.

John
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote