Old 04-21-2003, 10:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Oh man, my trailer was melted down into a molten puddle of aluminum this morning!! Pics to follow! I guess I should have read the can?

Seriously now, it hasn't done any damage as far as I can see but did get to my porchlite lense, I need to be sure and tape off all of my lites before I proceed any further. I did cyclo a few areas just to see what the outcome will be and I am impressed, just worried about how much maintenance it's gonna be to keep it up for now on.

Chas

Old 04-21-2003, 05:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I sent an email to Jasco and this is their reply. She really does not say why Aluminum is listed in the Compatibility section.

Hello;

I have read the MSDS on Jasco Sealer and Adhesive Remover. It states:

INCOMPATIBILITY (MATERIALS TO AVOID)
ALUMINUM, POSSIBLY SODIUM, POTASSIUM AND MAGNESIUM.

Could you tell me why to avoid using it on Aluminum?

Best Regards:
-Bobby Wright

Reply:

If you are using to remove paint from aluminum frames or wheel covers, the Sealer and Adhesive Remover can pit the aluminum, this may be acceptable if you are planning on painting it again.
Most people do not realize that MSD'S are meant for large quantities of material, for fire and explosion hazards, and large spills. Our best information to you is just that. We always suggest to TEST a small area to see the results before doing an entire project.

ROXANNE ECHEVARIA
JASCOCORP

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I checked the can and unless it is written in spanish I don't see any cautions about using it on aluminum. I am almost done stripping and will probably have used 2 gallons of it, heavy clearcoat removal on the sides and hardly any to remove on the roof.

Chas
Old 07-08-2003, 08:41 PM   #18
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Chas,

Thanks for your info on my spare tire concern. Since that doesn't seem to be a critical issue I'm moving that down on my to do list. Since the interior of my new 1969 trailer seems to be in pretty good shape, I think I'm going to focus my immediate attention to the exterior (it looks like it has sat outside its entire 34 year excistence). I was going to first try Citristrip until I ran across this thread. Was Citristip that dissappointing? Do you still recommend the Jasco product?

Thanks

John
Old 07-08-2003, 09:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Jdleezer,

Citristrip would probably work fine on yours if your clearcoat has degraded quite a bit. It worked OK on my roof which had very thin to non-existent clearcoat residues but on the sides it was slow and barely took it off. I would get a small jug of it and try it, always best to use the less agressive regimens first and then move on to the harder stuff. The Jabsco adhesive remover is very agressive, works quick but also drys out quick as so you are best off doing small areas at a time.

Just a warning, the stripping, compounding and cyclo polishing process will take a lot of your time. I have spent untold hours on mine and am still not completely done but man, does it look sharp!! Try to space it out between camping trips, you will occasionally wonder"what have heck I gotten into" but keep the course, 1,000 points of light, etc., etc., you will eventually finish it!

Chas
Old 07-12-2003, 08:59 PM   #20
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Chas,

Camping trips? Are you suppose to take these vintage Airstreams camping? I thought they were just oversized lawn fixtures. And if I don't get mine moved to the back yard soon the subdivision police are going to come-a-knocking.

I'm now waiting for cooler weather before I start the stripping/polishing process. These Texas summers are killing me.

I also rarely camp in the summer, to many crowds and to hot.

John