Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2002, 06:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Stripping an Argosy

I recently purchased a 1977 Argosy motorhome. The girls who owned it spent TONS of money having high dollar curtains, carpets, and interior components correctly replaced...It looks NEW inside. Really nice...Okay I love the interior...The outside, however ,somewhat annoys me. Everywhere I go someone calls my Argosy a "Travco"...It does have that sort of "Travco" look about it, but I sure would like to show them what's under that paint! WHAT SORT OF FUN SHOULD I EXPECT TO RUN INTO, BY TURNING MY ARGOSY INTO AN AIRSTREAM CLONE? I've seen it done with Argosy trailers. And other than the galvanized crowns I see very little difference between the Argosy and the Airstream...I'm not a big Dodge fan (I had Superior motorhomes that were really nice but broke down all the time) and feel offended when someone mistakes my Argosy for a Travco...IF SOMEONE IS GOING TO BE MISTAKEN ANYWAY,I SURE WOULD RATHER HAVE THEM MISTAKE MY ARGOSY FOR AN AIRSTREAM!
CHRIS CANNON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 06:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
This is a good thread on painting

http://www.airforums.com/forum...aluminum+paint

About halfway through is a link to GMC Co-op which is getting into Airstream/Argosy refurbishing. Also a good link to check out.

You can't really polish it because of the caps being galvanized, but there is a paint number that is supposed to match aluminum, or design your own.

I spent a couple of hundred hours (and a lot of cash) removing trim, stripping, painting, and getting it all back together. I figured if I was going to do this I didn't want it to be mistaken for anything else either.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 12:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I ALSO SUGGST YOU LOOK AT KZNER40 - KEN'S POST, AS HE LATER PAINTED HIS AIRSTREAM SILVER. HE SAYS IT LOOKS TERRIFIC, CAN'T BE TOLD FROM CLEAR AND COVERED A LOT OF MINOR PROBLEMS. HE IS NOW DOING THE STRIPING, WHICH I AM ANXIOUS TO SEE, BEFORE I DO MY OWN.
THERE IS A LOT TO BE SAID FOR ORIGINALITY, BUT NOTHING WRONG WITH UPDATING AND IMPROVING.
IN THE 1979 YEAR MODEL WE HAD ARGOSY'S, PAINTED AIRSTREAMS, AND ALUMIUM CLEAR COATED AIRSTREAMS AS WELL. SO WHO COULD TELL?
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
malden , Massachusetts
a new in here 78 argosy owner

I have a 1978 28 ft. argosy 40,000 mi. and in need of body work......... Paint has gone by and I'm wondering if anyone has used boat paint on any other airstream or argosy...I ran into someone who built a boat and used interforn paint or someterm like that and it came out B E A U T I F U L on plywood with a foam roller it costs $ $ $ ( big surprise ) but one nice spring day ?????? ...... I found an argosy 24 foot trailer two years ago and had a pipe dream of running down the road argosy to argosy but the thought of 50 some odd feet got me thinking now I find there's a 20 foot mabey the dream springs back any how best of luck in the future...Rod
roderickm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
When I hook up my tow vehicle to my MH, I am just a few inches short of 60 ft. Dosn't bother at all. It isn't any wider which would bother me.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I have seen Argosy trailers painted silver. They look real nice. Paint the underbelly and hitch the dark grey, replace the insert with blue and it is hard to tell it's not an Airstream.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #7

1956 22' Safari
NY , New York
You own an Argosy

and that is pretty kickass. why do people waste so much time engergy and money on making things they aren't and worrying about impressing people?
who cares what people think? It gives you a chance to educate them about something great.
I would just feel secure in the fact that I have one hellava vehicle.
airboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Well if you want to strip your Argosy send a PM to 3Ms75Argosy He stripped his. I have seen this in person, it looks pretty good.

I would repaint it personally, same color.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboy View Post
and that is pretty kickass. why do people waste so much time engergy and money on making things they aren't and worrying about impressing people?
who cares what people think? It gives you a chance to educate them about something great.
I would just feel secure in the fact that I have one hellava vehicle.
I think you skipped over a very reasonable conclusion and that is a lot of people LOVE the look of the Classics and if they can buy an Argosy and make it look like one, then they've made out well -- regardless of what people think about them. If I bought one and stripped (or painted) it certainly wouldn't be to make anyone on this planet happy, but me.
sidburgess is offline   Reply With Quote