Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

cincinnati , Ohio
Stripping airstream?

Hello, I was curious if any one could tell me the desired finishing effect I'm looking for when stripping my airstream's plasticoat off. I tested out a few spots leaving one on longer than the other. The one I left on for an hour saw no change; the one I left on for two hours showed some change. It appeared more shiny and you could see my reflection clearer. I also had to apply a thick coat to achieve this result. How do I know if the plasticoat has been removed? What are the signs? On average how long do you leave the stripper on? I'm using Napier Removall. If anyone has any insight onto this matter I would most certainly appreciate it. Thanks so much.
fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
One way to determine if the Clearcoat is gone is take a clean rag and put a little polish on it and rub the area where you cleaned. If the rag turns black than the coating is gone and it is ready to polish
Archersfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to the forums!

It would help to know what year your trailer is...clearcoat/plasticoat varied in formulations over the years. You can fill-in your trailer year and model in your User Control Panel so it shows under your name every time you post.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Orlando , Florida
Talking Yes I need help as well!!

I have a 1971 Caravanner and I would like to strip the Oxidation off of it but not polish it. I think if I could get the oxidation off of it I would be happy. Please let me know what product you think would be good to do so. I have posted a picture of my airstream and the top oxidized area is what I am trying to get rid of. If I can make it look like the lower portion I would be so happy!

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanxs!

Suzi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	101131  
svachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by svachon View Post
I have a 1971 Caravanner and I would like to strip the Oxidation off of it but not polish it. I think if I could get the oxidation off of it I would be happy. Please let me know what product you think would be good to do so. I have posted a picture of my airstream and the top oxidized area is what I am trying to get rid of. If I can make it look like the lower portion I would be so happy!

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanxs!

Suzi
Suzi,You can use Aircraft Stripper (Auto Zone) It will take off most of the flaky stuff and shine it up a bit.Cover all your lenses use a respirator and rubber gloves.Paint on and leave 20 min. or so and hose off.It helps before you hose to make circles with a nylon brush.It wont all come off because there is corrosion there,but it will look better.Check "gutting the 65"
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Madison , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by svachon View Post
[FONT=Century Gothic]I have a 1971 Caravanner and I would like to strip the Oxidation off of it but not polish it. I think if I could get the oxidation off of it I would be happy. Please let me know what product you think would be good to do so. I have posted a picture of my airstream and the top oxidized area is what I am trying to get rid of. If I can make it look like the lower portion I would be so happy!
The bottom half still has clearcoat on it, so it's still somewhat shiny. Unfortunately from what I've read in forums, and doing other research, any thing you use to remove oxidation is also going to require elbow grease.
Birdwell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Although Aircraft stripper will work, it's very aggressive & as noted above, will melt marker lamps etc. I use Removall 220 from VTS. Brush it on, wait 20 minutes & pressure wash it off. You'll see the clearcoat coming off in sheets. If you only leave it on for 20 minutes or so, it won't harm plastics. Let the residue dry on the ground over night & sweep it up & put it in the garbage. From what i understand, it's environmentally friendly too.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We use Zip strip semi paste--brush it on and it raises instantly--washes off with warm soapy water--but Ours has 'little places' where it still exists. When I was a kid I use to polish my trumpet, never knowing that one day I would be polishing an Airstream!