Old 11-14-2002, 07:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Strippin Job

Smily
What are you going to use to strip your unit with?

The mystery man give you any hints on that too?
ciao

Old 11-14-2002, 07:43 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Aircraft stripper at Wally World

I had already purchased some of this stuff when I seen it in the clearance section of Wal-Mart.

I used some of it to remove the old door gasket glue and I inadvertantly got some of it on the clear coat.

This stuff will definitely strip the clearcoat off quick!

It is called "Aircraft Stripper"

When I asked the wizard how to strip, he said, "Aircraft Stripper".

He tells me that I should be able to strip my trailer in less than 1 hour. Wipe on and hose off.

I asked if it required multiple coats, he said no.

I asked about the mess, he replied, "Just let it dry on the ground and pick it up later or just blow it away."

He was very adamant that the mess will be in the polishing.

I asked how he would seal the final product, he said, " just good ol carnuba wax".

He also said that once you strip your clearcoat, the skin will scratch very easily. Quote: "A caloused hand will scratch it"

He sold me on the project.

The Stripper

Old 11-14-2002, 07:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Hi regards

I have high regards for your mystery man...but, in one hour?? I hardly think so..trust me on that~!

YOU'LL FIND OUT...

That's good stuff..Just don't get any of it on YOU~!!
ciao
Old 11-14-2002, 08:07 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Burnt

I have experienced the burning sensation of exposure tothis stuff,
Yeeoooowch!

Anyway, I believe he may have said per side but easy never the less. I think he may be implying that the stripper just knocks off the bulk of the clearcoat and the rest will come off with the polishing.

I am going to try and call his bluff and ask for his assistance.

how long did it take you to strip yours?

Smily
Old 11-14-2002, 08:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
IMHO

Quote:
may be implying that the stripper just knocks off the bulk of the clearcoat and the rest will come off with the polishing.
I gotta tell you this, you should never expect the polishing efforts to remove the rest~!!

The correct way is to remove the clearcoat completely, then polish it..
It was abt two weeks doing it in stages...but then, my method may vary from yours.
ciao
Old 11-14-2002, 08:55 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Exclamation Stripping

Moved to a new thread from Caulking.

I have seen photos of a demonstration where a factory representative was stripping the clearcoat with polish.

The demonstration was presented at a rally somewhere, I believe in Mystic Springs.

So it is possible to remove clearcoat during the polishing process.

Smily
Old 11-14-2002, 09:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It took me about 10 hours to strip our 19-footer. It wasn't as easy as "the wizard" made it out to be...at least for our '64. This summer, at a rally we had a little impromptu stripping session & confirmed that the clearcoat varied from trailer to trailer based on the years. Heavy duty ammonia worked on some 70's models & didn't budge ours.

Another thought is that climate may have something to do with the effectiveness...Denver is really dry, the stripper would dry out about the same time it started to work...and I was applying it thick. So I think it really varies...you just gotta jump in!

We ended up using the Aircraft stripper, it seemed to work best on ours...but it required two thick coats, & it didn't just hose off. I had to wipe it down, reapply & wipe it down again. I did this in 3'x3' sections...aaarrrgh!

We are happy with the end result...now we're anxious to get to polishing in the spring...

Anyway, we do have a section on our webpage under "During" that shows before, during & after pictures of our stipping...I also had a few photos posted on AirstreamPhotos.com, just click the "photos" button below. And lastly, here's a link to a previous thread with lots of info on stripping...

Good luck!

Shari
Old 11-20-2002, 12:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Stripper is King

My wife and I stripped our 31' Excella in about 8 hours using paint brushes and aircraft stripper. The stripper immediately attacks the clearcoat and shrinks/dissolves it. We used a hose and a large carwash brush to get rid of the stripper, but it does flake like mad and the flakes, when wet, will stick to about anything (loves light lenses). Still isn't a big deal. Just rinse off and don't let the flakes dry on plastic.

Leaving the stripper on too long will allow it to congeal and make it harder to get off, so there's a bit of timing involved. I guess I was leaving it on for about 7 or 8 mins or so before washing off. One coat and then some touch up removal where we missed a few spots.

I tried everything from steel wool to laquer cleaner to muratic acid prior to aircraft stripper. Nothing else comes close. Clearcoat CAN actually be polished off, but only with massive effort and little reward.

And polishing is indeed where the real work starts. Great if you have lots of time, but hey, who really does.

Neal in Indiana
Old 11-21-2002, 10:36 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Neal,

What did you do to the finish after stripping. Polishing a 31' would take a lot of time... I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with mine.

do you have any pictures?

Craig
Old 11-21-2002, 11:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Stripping & Polish ???'s

OK, so you've all convinced me to strip & polish...just a few questions before I really fall for this . Sounds like the Aircraft Stripper is the way to go & Walbernize polishing.

BUT...what precautions should I take around paint, wheels & tires, windows, water heater, AC unit, plastic mouldings, awnings, bumpers, etc. just to mention a few potential problem area I figure on.

Any I missed, please point out. I'm sure that there is a link to a thread which describes the whole process top-to-bottom.

I have some bad spots just under the battery compartment as you can see in the picture,
Old 11-21-2002, 11:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

I'll have to reduce picture file size to attach it for your review.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Common sense

zamboni

You have an excellent grasp on the problem area as I see it. Just keep it on the area you want to strip and, cover up those that you need to.
Shari brought up excellent points in her post. You might want to review her comments. The main thing is, don't try it with the skin HOT..You want a shaded location for this.
I did mine during the early part of spring and, even then, there were times when the sun was just too hot to continue. When that happen, I'd just stop for the day and, go abt doing something else. I kept a bucket of water close by to duck the rags in..The wet rag seems to help in keeping the whole process neater. As I wiped a small section at a time, then clean the rag out in the bucket. This helps in keeping the clearcoat from spreading all over my driveway, etc. It ended up taking days for me to complete the project doing this way but...
I used the aircraft stripper as well as the orange gel stripper with excellent results using both. I personally think the aircraft stripper does the better job..You just have to be careful not to let it sit too long, as it dries quickly compare to the orange gel stripper.
That's my take on it..I have some pictures post of the work and the finis results.. look for the photos under "towner7"
ciao
Old 11-26-2002, 09:25 AM   #13
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Strip alternative

Some one questioned the stripping with polish process,

Heres to ya,

Clear Coat Remover/Metal Polish
"Free-Flite" is advertised as a one-step metal cleaner/polish, but it will also remove the clear sealant on aluminum trailers. It is made by the manufacturer of our world famous Cyco dual-head polisher, but may be used with any orbital or rotary polisher.

For years, Top of the Line customers have begged for a way to remove these clear coatings without harming the metal. Free-Flite removes just about anything on aluminum, stainless steel, copper, chrome, titanium, nickel, brass and even sheet metal.

Free-Flite is especially effective for aircraft polishing. It meets government specifications MIL-P-6888 Type II for polishing properties, low and high temperature performance, flammability, flash point, viscosity, abrasiveness, and storage satbility. It contains no ammonia, which is harmful to many metals. (32oz container).
Old 12-11-2002, 10:53 AM   #14
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Stop watch

Okay folks.....

Get out your stop watches!

I have talked at length with the wizard and he tells me we are going to strip the 27' Overlander in half a day or even less, weather permitting. We are going to start in the morning this weekend and go for it. ( I gotta tell you, he actually said in a couple of hours)

I asked if the stripper will remove the blue paint on my rubrail and he says it will but will require a few applications.

He is like myself, He loves a good challenge and we are out to prove it can be done!!!!!!!

On your mark.......

Smily