Old 04-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
aguanga , California
Stripper prep

Ok I've Purchased my clear coat stripper and my graphic removal product and am getting ready to prep for the stripper application. My question is should I completely remove the awning. It seems logical that I want to strip every inch in preparation for polishing but what do I know I'm a newbie.

Any advice is appreciated

Old 04-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Removing the awning and any other peripheral objects makes good sense

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
What product did you use to strip the clearcoat? Did you end up removing the awning? I need to start stripping my '90 Excella. I really don't want to remove the awning!!!
Old 06-22-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
aguanga , California
Awning

I removed the awning in preparation for the stripper but it was easier than I thought. I actually hired in awning contractor to remove it for me but after watching him do it, I could have easily done it myself. It literally was just a couple of screws and The awning slides right out of a track that I left on my Airstream. I did not see any reason to remove the track.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
Thanks for the info. Curious which stripper you used. The Removeall 220 is no longer available. I've seen Citristrip mentioned here.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantillon View Post
I removed the awning in preparation for the stripper but it was easier than I thought. I actually hired in awning contractor to remove it for me but after watching him do it, I could have easily done it myself. It literally was just a couple of screws and The awning slides right out of a track that I left on my Airstream. I did not see any reason to remove the track.
kcantillon, I'd sure love some more detail on how you removed your awning. I'd like to strip my deteriorating clear coat and I have full-length awnings on both sides and one over the rear window. I'm worried about the springs. I hope your stripping is going well.
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
aguanga , California
Awning Removal

It was easy! I stressed and stressed but in the end you just undo the hardware at both ends and it slides out of the track by walking the awning forward. I put zip ties around the awning roll so I wouldn't have any accidental unwinding. I hope this helps
Old 08-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantillon View Post
It was easy! I stressed and stressed but in the end you just undo the hardware at both ends and it slides out of the track by walking the awning forward. I put zip ties around the awning roll so I wouldn't have any accidental unwinding. I hope this helps
Thanks. Yeah, I found that Zip Dee actually has some pretty good PDF's at their site on doing anything you need to do with one of their awnings. Explains how to wind and unwind the awning spring, remove an awning, etc.

Thanks again for you post.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
This thread had such promise, I was wondering if someone was installing a poll in the main cabin, ha.

I'm coming closer to stripping my 345 Moho, so these threads do help me in that direction, thanks.

Cheers Richard
Old 08-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Stripping the unit

Hello,
I have a 1985 325, I went to the hardware store,got a gallon of marine grade stripper and a 4 inch paint brush. Just paint it on, watch it bubble up, use the paint brush to kind of steer it around,and then, take Avery worn out brown scrubby pad, and wash off with soap and water. No scratches to the aluminum,and a little touch up with the stripper . You ll see the places you missed. I did the whole side of my coach in about 2.5 hours. Got to do the drivers side today . I left the zip dee awning on. This coach was rough looking when I got it. She was sitting somewhere in the woods I think. It won t leave my driveway this year, but I should have it good to go by spring. 5420 miles on this unit. How cool is that runs like a top. I think I got about a thousand hours in it right now. Well, it feels like it anyway. Good luck on the stripping, it s pretty easy really. Just paint a heavy coat on, ans smear it around. I did it in 3 foot sections.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:15 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Thanks for the tip. Good luck, sounds liked quite a project.