Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #141
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Camperski,

It looks great! I am currently trying to decide on which system, polisher, and type of polish I want to use to do mine. I plan to start in January and have read just about everything there is to read here on the forum and see that there are an awful lot of different products to choose from. What did you use on yours?
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #142
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i'm no expert either, but i've tried the standard rotary polisher, as well as this cool adapter kit i got on eBay that turns my rotary polisher into a buffing wheel. i think it cuts faster than the rotary wool wheel. see post #20 of my thread to see a pic of it.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ect-27501.html

it's definitely feels quicker to me, but others with more experience could certainly offer more expert advice. i believe you still need to follow up with a cyclo-type polisher and "S" Grade NuVite to get the micro-scratches out.

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:00 PM   #143
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
I bought a Makita Varible Speed Polisher and the results of what you see are from using the Nuvite F7 with the wool bonnet and the the Nuvite S with the "finishing bonnet" that came with it. I got a cyclo and wraps and do dads and dohickeys galore....but Mine daughter actually did the spot I took a picture of, she's nine! So I'm hoping the old man can finish it fairly fast....Thats about 10 minutes on the area shown.

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:22 AM   #144
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
polishing tools

Thanks Camperski & Merry Can for the input. I'm gonna go with the Nuvite products for sure. Cyclo polisher?? Jury is still out on that.

Camperski: I hope that "shiny spot" brightens up this rainy Christmas Day.

TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #145
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
tin,
the little girl smiling in that shiny spot and her younger brother knocked today off the charts!!!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #146

1998 25' Safari
Lakewood , New Mexico
I'm in the process of stripping my 1998 a/s Safari with Removall 220. The surface is in pretty good shape. The clearcoat has been coming off for about 7 years now and for the first 4 years I sprayed all manner of clear finishes on the bald spots to keep it from oxidizing too much. Those parts look pretty splotchy now. Anyway, I don't want a mirror finish, just a clean, fairly shiny trailer. So I'm shopping for an orbital polisher (Porter Cable maybe?) and wondering what to do next. Any advice? This is my first post to this forum, not sure if I'm doing it right. -Howard
Howard R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
HI Howard, Sounds lke you are on the right track. Go to Vintage Trailer Supply's website. They have a lot of good info on polishing plus everything you need to get the job done.

Also, pull up a chair and do a search here on polishing. You'll find plenty of other useful info.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
once you get the Removall part done, you may already find it looks pretty good. I would wash it down well afterwards, then try a metal polish of your choice on a panel at a time. I used the two part purple polish with their green liquid first. It did a great job of shining what had been chalky grey.
The removall worked well, although you have to be sure you get it all off when done, I used a pressure washer, or it leaves small spots that are very tough to remove, even with mineral spirits.
After you get a shine you like ( mine was very reflective, but not a mirror),seal it with some good wax, walbernize, sealer, etc. I use Liquid Glass which lasts about 6-12 months and keeps the shine, with a wash occasionally.
See my avatar for an idea of how it shines.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #149

1998 25' Safari
Lakewood , New Mexico
Thanks guys. I just ordered a Porter Cable polisher (didn't want to spend the big bucks on a cyclo) from Amazon for $119. There's lots on ebay but you wind up paying almost as much and I trust Amazon a lot. I'm about to order a sample pack of Nuvite from Perfect Polish so I can figure out which grade I'll need a whole pound of. Looks like Vinatge Trailer Supply has the best price on the one pound tins. Maybe I'll post a picture or two later. Do you think terry cloth rags are good enough to polish with? They're cheap.
Howard R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:52 PM   #150
4 Rivet Member

Zip Dee

Has anyone tried to polish the slat covers of Zip Dee awnings? Zip Dee said that they cannot be polished. Thanks
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:24 AM   #151
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperski
I bought a Makita Varible Speed Polisher and the results of what you see are from using the Nuvite F7 with the wool bonnet and the the Nuvite S with the "finishing bonnet" that came with it. I got a cyclo and wraps and do dads and dohickeys galore....but Mine daughter actually did the spot I took a picture of, she's nine! So I'm hoping the old man can finish it fairly fast....Thats about 10 minutes on the area shown.
The Metalwax can do that size spot in two minutes or less

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:56 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Zip Dee polish

Yep....they are correct. I tried last week. Nuvite just "cleaned" 'em up. When you order a new Zip Dee (replacement) you order poished or not polished.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #153
4 Rivet Member

Melody Ranch

Thank you for your response, not the answer I was looking for however thank you. since I'm going to paint the Airstream maybe I'll just paint or find out how they cost polished. have a great day and TY.
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #154
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
has anyone found that air temp has a positive or neg effect polsihing? I seem get have better luck on days above 55....but it maybe that I just enjoy being out there more on those days..tyring like the dickens to get everything done with F7 before springstream....but snowed in in the sunny south today.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #155
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
mt view , Arkansas
do u still have to polish after using the napier removall 220
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #156
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
yes, that will only remove the clearcoat

Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #157
2 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Saint Petersburg, , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Tom Randall
LI, how did it go...

LI, I was curious how Metalwax did for you? Did you try it or do your whole unit?

After reading this entire thread, I am ready to give AlanSD's method a shot with the removall, purple stuff and then the liquid glass. Metalwax program as good? Better? or.....

I have a '90 Excella 32' so I just want it cleaned up a bit... not shinny. I can't physically do it myself and at a $150 up per foot.... out of my league.

Thanks and would like to see a pic of your unit.
Tom & his travelin' Pal - Rusty Dog the Doxie

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Tom Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #158
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I can't tell you if it's better or not I never used the purple stuff.

The meta;wax worked great on the good areas it went really fast, where it was oxadized it took longer, but figure 75-90 square feet an hour.

See this thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #159
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
I like the sound of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
The Metalwax can do that size spot in two minutes or less
Thanks for the info..haven't gotten any yet, I need to use up what i've bought! hahaahah...now if it will warm up just a bit more today...I'm gonna work at it some more

Old 02-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am always looking for and trying different stuff. I am happy with my Sovereign being quite shiny but not mirrored. As for the purple product, it did a great job cutting thr the very dull chalky gray, where other prducts like Blue magic and Mothers did not touch it. I also like the tool box polish from Lowe's. The product used was used by hand and ocasionally a Harbor Freight polisher.
The Liquid Glass has held the shine since June, its now 6 months or more, and still looking good, but will need a touch up for sure in March or April before our rally and travel season.
I never did paint my roof center white, that will probably be the next thing I do after I get the old TV antenna off, and the weather warms up some.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote