Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #461
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
One More Zypher Video

This video had a couple of good bits of info in it. First it shows how to quickly strip the anodizing. You silver streak people can have shiny trailers too!

He also mentions the speed on his second cut. I dropped down and I am happy with the results.

Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #462
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
This video had a couple of good bits of info in it. First it shows how to quickly strip the anodizing. You silver streak people can have shiny trailers too!

He also mentions the speed on his second cut. I dropped down and I am happy with the results.

Good video. He mentions RPM of the buffer for different combinations of wheels and compounds. It slipped my mind to mention to you about the surface feet per minute (sf/m) as mentioned in this polishing handout from Caswell. There is a formula for calculating it in the PDF.

Buffbook.pdf

If I recall correctly, Silver Streaks started anodizing in the latter part of the 60s. I'm not sure if they used alclad or not.

Anyway, have fun polishing!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #463

1979 31' Sovereign
Congerville , Illinois
I have a 79 sovereign that I’m trying to restore the outside. It has a quite a few scratches, dull finish, and most the clear coats is off and some areas it’s starting to come off. Wanting to what the best way to restore it. Thanks
BrentLee83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:05 AM   #464
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
mastic beach , New York
Start with post #1 page one of this thread. It's like Wikipedia, only real. It will eventually take you through the whole process.

Mike
Old 02-06-2021, 07:23 PM   #465
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Thanks for the videos. There are several new ideas for polishing being presented that I had not seen before. The only problem with using an acid wash is it gets under the rivets, into the overlapping joints and does not get rinsed out.

We had been on the road for several weeks and needed to clean our trailer. A truck stop outside of Kingman, AZ had a truck wash with a bay for cleaning aluminum tankers. We pulled in, left our rig with them and went to eat lunch. When we got back everything looked clean. One of the guys who operated the truck wash mentioned that they used an acid wash to clean our Airstream. Since I had no idea what that meant we paid them and went on our way.

Five to six years later I noticed a black ring where a rivet head had popped off. We are adventurous and will turn down a dirt road without knowing where it is going or if there is a place to turn around. A few times I could see where there had been an inordinate amount of stress on the frame and shell but the Airstream has kept rolling behind the van and all vital parts are still working. Some of the stress has caused rivet heads to pop but I don't know how many rivets might normally pop a head off in any given year. In the past 10 years of full timing I think we may have popped several rivets each year. Fortunately they are easy to replace and they clean up nicely.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:43 PM   #466
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Thumbs up Finally did it after 51 years!

Looking great! After many years of waiting and weathering hurricanes we finally are on in the process of getting the 72 Land Yacht polished. Here is a shot from the front. Maybe this product should have been the concept in 1972 instead of the clear coat.
All the best,
SL4BLLT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8E6313D6-A25B-459E-B1B8-2BA2AEA583DC.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	427832  
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:14 AM   #467
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
mastic beach , New York
Looks dynamite! So what's the product?

Mike
pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:17 PM   #468
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Mike,
Quick answer. Ongoing project. I answered in detailed and somehow lost all the info provided. I will update at another time. It has been a 30 year project. Well worth the time and effort.
Happy Airstreaming.
All the best,
SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 04:07 PM   #469
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Mike,
The "product" used not project is Blue Magic. We had P&S do the work in Ohio. They truly are the experts that have been doing this polishing since 1968. Kevin and his team are awesome. They added a 3" lift kit to get those tanks and lines higher. Great work. They stay engaged and communicate with the customer. A legacy themselves (P&S), that keep Airstreams of this era on the road.

I was going to do it in 2011 but ran out of time and realized the work involved. We also were not sure if we were going to keep the Airstream or not. I contacted Steve out at P&S a few years back and finally got around to getting it done. We do NOT regret doing it. I will admit, this expertise is becoming harder to find.

We have completed a bunch of upgrades over the last 10 years just to mention a short list: ultra-leather Villa U-shape dinette, suburban gas heater, wired with TV throughout original speakers, drapes by JPA Drapes, grey tank, freshwater tank, floating hardwood floor, new ac, axles, recessed LED lights, Norcold refer, Furrion cooktop, rock guards, and Zip Dee awnings. The list goes on.

See the pictures attached. As the owners of course, we think the coach looks great. For 51 years old, most comments have been this thing looks as new as the 2023. What we enjoy, is it only weighs #5200 lbs. We've been across the USA twice in it and will use it here in NC and the Southern part of the US.

Hopefully we will get it back here to NC late Spring. Now the challenge is finding a campground. Most campgrounds are book and then some campgrounds are reluctant to have older trailers, but at times will make exceptions to Airstreams. Hopefully we will help them see the "light" ha-ha.
Hope it answers the question, Mike.
All the best,
SL4BLLT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL4BLLT-72.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	428246   Click image for larger version

Name:	SL4BLLT-2-72.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	473.5 KB