Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #321
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I've finally decided to strip the plasticoat off of our '64 Globetrotter, but I'm having a hard time finding the PPG Eldorado PR 5044, and I don't really want 5 gallons of it. I wondered if anyone had experience with other products, like EkoStrip from Stewart Systems, or MultiStrip from Home Depot? My plan is to strip it and, figuring it will look better and more even than it does now, leave it like that.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #322
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I've finally decided to strip the plasticoat off of our '64 Globetrotter, but I'm having a hard time finding the PPG Eldorado PR 5044, and I don't really want 5 gallons of it. I wondered if anyone had experience with other products, like EkoStrip from Stewart Systems, or MultiStrip from Home Depot? My plan is to strip it and, figuring it will look better and more even than it does now, leave it like that.
Aircraft stripper, is one of the best. You can buy it one gallon at a time.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #323
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I called around looking for the PPG 5044 and the suppliers I talked to suggested aircraft stripper, but it was super toxic. I'll be stripping this at my home and want to go as non toxic as possible. Andy, do you have a product name to suggest? Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #324
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I called around looking for the PPG 5044 and the suppliers I talked to suggested aircraft stripper, but it was super toxic. I'll be stripping this at my home and want to go as non toxic as possible. Andy, do you have a product name to suggest? Thanks
Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

We always used "Aircraft stripper".

That is the name of it.

The typical problem with the cheaper stuff and the less harmless stuff, is you have to rub and rub and rub, and then some more rubbing.

Then after all that rubbing, look at what you did to the grain of the sheet metal, because it's ruined.

Andy
Old 04-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #325

A website called "airstream guy"recommended Klean Strip premium stripper in an aerosol can. Does it work lile aircraft stripper?
john green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #326
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
omaha , Nebraska
Strip and polish need help

hello,

I am in Omaha, NE and would like to find someone nearby that can help me with my Caravanner 25 foot 1971. Just got it and I would like to strip and polish though I don't have the time.

thanks,
rothway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #327
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Demorest , Georgia
I was recently told that the Removall stripper is no longer available in the US. Any suggestions of other strippers that work as well and are easy and safe to use? I have a 1969 Airstream Overlander.
mtnramblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #328
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmcinvale View Post
I was recently told that the Removall stripper is no longer available in the US. Any suggestions of other strippers that work as well and are easy and safe to use? I have a 1969 Airstream Overlander.
Aircraft stripper works great.

Andy
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #329
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Aircraft stripper is still the real deal, (except for the "low odor" stuff), just keep it off of anything plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #330
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
too bad Removall works great and can be washed away with a hose
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #331
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
middleburg , Florida
I polish vintage airstreams and air planes for a living and I always use Klean strip in my experience it works great.
tracypowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #332

1974 Argosy 26
Toronto , Ontario
Hello
Do you know any place for polishing the trailer in Toronto please I will really appreciate your help
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Reveted10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #333
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
Lesson Learned (I Think)

Just finished my first polish so I thought I would pass along some of my experiences. It took me 6/7 cuts to get the trailer to this point. I started out experimenting with Diamond Bright Truck Box Polish, then tried Nuvite 6 and wound up adding Nuvite 9 and Nuvite S to the process. I found that I did not save money, and it cost me time not to use Nuvite 9 on the rough areas from the start. Because it cuts faster, you use less Nuvite 6 and have fewer passes. Nuvite 6 worked well for the intermediate cuts. I think I liked the Diamond Bright better than Nuvite S for the last cuts. It cut a little more, showed less swirls than the S and the finish was just as good. If you really want to get the swirls out, you will need a Cyclo polisher, but do not let that stop you from polishing. I liked using a soft clean tee shirt to wipe down between cuts rather than mineral spirits. It seemed to be less mess and was just as effective. Swirls only show in certain lights and angles. I used an angle polisher for the whole job. I think next year, I will plan on up to 5 cuts in the rough areas and 2 or 3 cuts in other areas. If I do that, I will most likely have the "white spots, the "milky spots, and most of the corroded spots licked. Hopefully, then it will just require yearly maintenance. It is amazing the compliments you get on a polished trailer. My favorite has been "Wow, your trailer looks good. There's an older one in the next loop". The older one turned out to be 30 years newer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	217747  
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 AM   #334
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for sharing this, ttbikes, it's really helpful. I haven't gotten around to polishing yet and I have been dreading it. Well, I'm still dreading it, but it's nice to hear about anything that will save some effort.
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #335
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
Hi jenniflow. Glad to help. Here are a couple of other things you might find helpful. To reach the high places, I used two step ladders with two 2 by 10 planks to form a walk board so that I never had to reach up high. You can use a shorter step ladder to get up to your walk board. You can lower the walk board as you make your way around. I am pretty big, but if you are not, you could get by with one board. This is much easier on the arms, and you can do a wider strip at one time. I sat on a 5 gal. bucket to do the bottom two feet so that I did not have to bend down. I did not worry about the top two feet of the trailer. You will almost never be in a situation where it will be seen and it would take a much more extensive rig to reach it (unless you are tall and strong). You should at least wear a paper mask when using the spur tool to clean your wool pad. I did not find washing the pads to be very helpful. I liked my pad to be a little "greasy" when using Nuvite 9 because that step is always about cutting, but kept the pad pretty clean with the spur tool on the other steps. I used a separate pad for each grade of polish. Heat is not your friend when polishing. If the sun is getting to hot stop and start again in the morning or evening. Vintage Trailer Supply was a good source for polish and pads. Polishing is kinda fun because it is very rewarding to see the shine slowly emerge on the trailer.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #336
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
the top

Hey ttbikes,

More great info, thanks!

You have indicated the stickiest point for me, the top. For the very hot Baja sun, it seems to me that I've got to get that top part polished up, both to reflect the sun, and to make it look good. I agree, it's hard to get excited about doing it, considering how few people will see it, but in practical terms, I suspect that the reflective quality is actually worth something. Maybe I'm wrong.

Probably, one of the engineers here would have some calculations in his/her back pocket on this subject of come up with them easily. And then there are those of us who might not be able to sleep at night, knowing that their roof isn't just as shiny as the rest of it.

I saw a couple of posts here about how to get to the top. My favorites are driving alongside something tall, and pulling another tall rig alongside to make a bridge. We'll see if I ever get anywhere close to doing that.

Keep up the good work, it looks great.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #337
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Getting to the top

Hey ttbikes,

More great info, thanks!

You have indicated the stickiest point for me, the top. For the very hot Baja sun, it seems to me that I've got to get that top part polished up, both to reflect the sun, and to make it look good. I agree, it's hard to get excited about doing it, considering how few people will see it, but in practical terms, I suspect that the reflective quality is actually worth something in protection. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably, one of the engineers here would have some calculations in his/her back pocket on this subject or come up with them easily.

And then there are those of us who might not be able to sleep at night, knowing that their roof isn't just as shiny as the rest of it, whether or not the reflection is good for something else.

I saw a couple of posts here about how to get to the top. My favorites are driving alongside something tall, and pulling another tall rig alongside to make a bridge. We'll see if I ever get anywhere close to doing that.

Keep up the good work, it looks great.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #338
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Soak the pads in TSP solution overnight, then wash and dry.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #339
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I smear Tide on my pads and throw them in the washer with my cyclo jersey material and they come out nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #340
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Iron Station , North Carolina
I recently bought my first airstream to restore, and I have a question about the stripper. When I've worked on motorcycles with polished aluminium, some clear-coated and some bare. With the coated parts you obviously have to use a stripper to remove the lacquer and expose the aluminium. On bare metal parts I don't typically use any stripper. Is the stripper people use on airstreams for the same purpose, or is it actually used to remove aluminium oxide?

Thanks!
DaveS411 is offline   Reply With Quote