Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #261
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Now that Removall is again on the market, you might consider using it. It works great and is not harmful to your plants, and less harmful to you.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #262
1 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Brampton , Ontario
Removall sources

Does anyone have a link/contact to an in-stock retailer of Removall?
4Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #263
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
Have you tried Wal Mart , Home Depot or Lowe's?
urb2165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #264
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Madison , Mississippi
Google removall 220. Several sites have it, Vintage Trailer seems to be the cheapest.
Birdwell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #265
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
I did and you are correct Vintage Trailer is the lowest priced. Thanks
urb2165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #266

1965 24' Tradewind
SA , Texas
Hello everyone. I just got to the end of this entire thread. Thanks to all of you. I started on my 66 Tradewind a few months ago and have been trying a bunch of techniques. I would say that the Aircraft stripper is good stuff, but you have to find the original formula. Oreily's still carries the original formula. One way to differenciate between the two is in the color. The brand that A-zone carries is clear. I read the ingredients and it has MEK in it, so you really don't want it on your skin. Don't get me wrong, it does the job, but the other one is a peach colored goo. I used this when I used to restore cars, and it doesn't mess around. The big downfall to it is I can imagine it is also not that friendly to the environment or yourself. Also, while you are buffing, I suggest using a respirator since some of the compounds have a great ability to booger you up. I have been using a variable speed buffer w/ a wool pad and 3m medium grade sompound and have been getting decent results. I just need more time to get back on it. BTW, don't pressure wash the stripper ANYWHERE near anything you care to have paint on. The stuff will spray all over you & around you. I personally have been extra carefull, but have seen a nicely painted car get a free paint job when someone at the resto shop tried a power washer to take off the paint. I wish I had found this thread when I started! I appreciate all of the great photos you all have posted on the progress of your rigs. I gets me motivated to neglect my other projects and jump on the AS. I am one of those attention deficit taskers.
rustfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #267
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustfalia View Post
Hello everyone. I just got to the end of this entire thread. Thanks to all of you. I started on my 66 Tradewind a few months ago and have been trying a bunch of techniques. I would say that the Aircraft stripper is good stuff, but you have to find the original formula. Oreily's still carries the original formula. One way to differenciate between the two is in the color. The brand that A-zone carries is clear. I read the ingredients and it has MEK in it, so you really don't want it on your skin. Don't get me wrong, it does the job, but the other one is a peach colored goo. I used this when I used to restore cars, and it doesn't mess around. The big downfall to it is I can imagine it is also not that friendly to the environment or yourself. Also, while you are buffing, I suggest using a respirator since some of the compounds have a great ability to booger you up. I have been using a variable speed buffer w/ a wool pad and 3m medium grade sompound and have been getting decent results. I just need more time to get back on it. BTW, don't pressure wash the stripper ANYWHERE near anything you care to have paint on. The stuff will spray all over you & around you. I personally have been extra carefull, but have seen a nicely painted car get a free paint job when someone at the resto shop tried a power washer to take off the paint. I wish I had found this thread when I started! I appreciate all of the great photos you all have posted on the progress of your rigs. I gets me motivated to neglect my other projects and jump on the AS. I am one of those attention deficit taskers.
Rust Another way to tell the original formula is the Auto Zone stuff says "low odor"I got mine at a body shop supply house and it was about 10 bucks more.There is a difference in the two cans.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #268

1965 24' Tradewind
SA , Texas
Thumbs up

Thanks Steve. I did find a higher priced one at O-reilys and recognized the can as the "good stuff". It was about ten more bucks, but I decided to look around for a better price since I knew I had bought it cheaper at A-zone previously. Unfortunately I needed it fast, and had to settle for the "Low Odor" stuff on a bind. You are exactly right about the "Low Odor" can difference. It's definitely worth the extra ten dollars in comparison. Thanks for the heads up.
rustfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #269
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
fair oaks , California
Removall in Sacramento?

Anyone know where I can purchase Removall in the Sacramento area? Thank you in advance for any help.
dmcinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #270
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Santa Cruz , California
New to AS. Help!

Hello,
I just bought a 22 Safari and am told it is 1963. It has varying levels of oxidation. Should I take care of this first? I don't want a mirror like finish, I just want to preserve it. I don't want to start work on the inside if it will all be wasted by a deteriorating exterior. Is there a way to get the oxidation off without going through a huge polishing job? and then could I just apply a new plasticoat? Help! and thank you!
Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #271
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
You can use Gojo Hand cleaner and it will really smooth the surface and remove gunk and oxidation.It will dull the surface down to a satin finish.I would go back with some Truck Box Polish or Mothers Aluminum Polish to shine it up a bit.To really get deep oxidation you will have to do a 3 step polish with different grades of abrasive.I would try this method first considering the type of shine you want.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #272
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Considering using Removeall to get the remaining clearcoat off the trailer.
(its about 55% gone) My concern is, I replaced all the vinyl trim around the unit and don't want to ruin it, and suggestions..short of taking it off.
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #273
GHP

1976 31' Excella 500
Kerrville , Texas
The name of the spray on?

I just bought a 76, 31 Excella, and curious about your spray on and wash off poly remover? What is the name of it and where to buy or order. Also, what would you reconmend for followup for protection. I will be on a construction job close to the Gulf south of Houston. I am not interested in a custom shine, just protection and looking acceptable. Thanks. g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine View Post
Re: the picture above with the crystalizing -- it hosed right off and came out with nice clean, smooth aluminum.
GHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #274
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHP View Post
I just bought a 76, 31 Excella, and curious about your spray on and wash off poly remover? What is the name of it and where to buy or order. Also, what would you reconmend for followup for protection. I will be on a construction job close to the Gulf south of Houston. I am not interested in a custom shine, just protection and looking acceptable. Thanks. g.
GHP the stripper is called Removall 220. It can be purchased fro Vintage Trailer Supply. Here is the link.
RemovAll 220

You can wax it after with Walbernize.
Walbernize RV Super Seal
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #275
GHP

1976 31' Excella 500
Kerrville , Texas
What spray on stripper did you use? g/

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn View Post
That does seem long? The stuff I used was spray on after 30 seconds wipe off. took less than 3 hours to do the whole unit... (1 1/2 gallons did the trick)
Do think the metal may be etched?
GHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #276
1 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
Prince George , British Columbia
We are looking to strip the clear coat off of our 1980 Caravelle and were looking for Removall 220. We live in Northern BC Canada so things can be a bit trying to find up here. I sent off an email to Freeworld Coatings who now makes Removall. After hearing no response I called down there... was told to call some chemist in BC who told me to call the North American business manager. He said he would "light a fire" under the Montreal, Canada distributor to contact me. Two days later still nothing.

Finally a quick trip to Home Depot and I came across Dumond Chemicals Peel Away Smart Strip. A look on the tub and it all looks the same as Removall... environmentally friendly remover of all types of coatings. Price is about $68.00 a gallon Canadian. We have seen a few posts on here where owners have used it with as good of success as Removall.

So even at the steep price of $68.00 a gallon we are already at a savings of at least $20.00 over the Removall from Vintage Trailer Supply where shipping to Canada automatically doubles the product price of Removall. Not to mention we can buy one gallon and if we need another we can just run up the road to Home Depot and get another gallon instead of having to order one online and hope we don't need another.

We are going to strip this weekend and will post our results. If all goes well then all us owners up here in Canada just got a great option for stripping our clear coats without being at the mercy of Removall and VTS.
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #277
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
We are looking to strip the clear coat off of our 1980 Caravelle and were looking for Removall 220. We live in Northern BC Canada so things can be a bit trying to find up here.
Have a look at this link. They say they are headquarted in Delta, BC.

Hopefully they can ship out of there, and not the US...?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #278
1 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
Prince George , British Columbia
DTEP is a US company that does not ship outside of the US. Napier, who was located in Delta, BC does not make Removall anymore... Freeworld does. In my opinion... if I cannot even get the company that makes it to show an interest in providing me with a supplier to buy it from, why should I bother lining their pockets.
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #279
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Seymour, Peel Away Smart Strip is widely available here in the states too. I would be curious to hear how it worked out for you. ease of use etc.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #280
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I just thought I would update this thread a bit. My previous post was this past April. Starting this fall, I have been stripping and polishing my '99 Safari. The product I have been using for stripping is Citristrip. I has worked very well and very quickly on my trailer. I know the 220 is great too, but the nice thing about Citristrip is that it is available at Home Depot (no Lowe BTW). So you don't need to worry about how much to order etc. By a half gallon or whatever and go back and get more if you need it. I started a thread earlier tracking my polishing adventures with others having chimed with their's.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote