Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Repolish question- My trailer was highly polished, and as with my other Airstreams, (which were shiny but not as shiny as this one)... I tried Liquid Glass to seal the finish. At least to hold off the repolish awhile.
The two panels I used it on actually got cloudier, and use of tool box polish and a few other metal polishes has not cleared it up to the level of the surrounding panels.
What is up? Do I need to compound these with something even coarser?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
When I polished my former trailer to a mirror finish, I too tried the Liquid Glass. I wasn't happy either because of the cloudy film that was left behind. I really didn't find anything that didn't leave some kind of film, since it was like putting stuff on a mirror. I finally settled on Maguires wax. It kept the rain spots off for a while, but you really do have to recoat every 6 months or so. I now have an '86 that I am redoing the outside, but not to a mirror finish. I'm experimenting with the Sharkhide stuff & it seems to be clear. I'm not sure how it would do on a mirror finish, though. Good luck with your mirror finish & try not to obcess! By the way, I would remove the Liquid Glass before trying a wax (not something like Nufinish--wax).

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #203
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim View Post
I'm about 2/3 done with my yearly cycloing and wax job...

I'm wondering if that's the way it works once you polish it: it will need re-polishing with wax regularly?

Ocan one give it a new clearcoat once it's polished and forget about it for a while?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #204
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have tried a few polishes to clear up that one panel, maybe just not getting deep enough into the metal. I am going to try Alcoa heavy duty polish from the Airstream Store and see how that does.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:39 AM   #205
COMMERCIAL VENDOR

O'Fallon , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I'm experimenting with the Sharkhide stuff & it seems to be clear. I'm not sure how it would do on a mirror finish, though.
Hey there,
I thought I would jump in and fill you in on applying Sharkhide over a mirror finish.
When Sharkhide is applied over a "mill finish", or an "acid etched" finish, it's absolutly invisible. However, when you apply over a mirror finish, it can some times have a slight "rainbow sheen" like on a soap bubble. This can only be seen at certain angles, distances and lighting conditions. And once you're more than a couple of feet back it's not visible at all. As long as propper prep and application procedures are followed, it's all but invisible.
Naturally I use Sharkhide on all my polished aluminum parts, and although just my opinion, I think the never having to polish these things again is well worth the slight change in the finish.
And as always, if any one has a question about Sharkhide, please feel free to post your question, or contact me directly. I'm allways delighted to help in any way.
Clint
618-624-4091
WWW.SHARKHIDE.COM
t_birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #206
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
San Diego , California
Hi,

I am looking at this thread and was wondering if there was a step by step set of instructions in one place for removing the old clear coat, cleaning the now exposed surface, and polishing. I have the pleasure of having a friend of mine want to go down to my 1968 Safari in Baja and live in it and take this on as a project. I told him I would get him lined up with everything he needs (supplies, tools, instructions, etc.) Any help I can get to put it all in one document I could hand him would sure be greatly appreciated!
hockeyrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #207
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Hockyrink, Check out Perfectpolish.com web site. You can get all the equipment, polish and tools, rags etc in one place. They are located in California and offer free shipping. Also on their web sit, check out all their drop down menus you'll find complete instructions you can download and print. I stopped using the Nuvite grade S polish. I finish compounding with Nuvite F7 and then make one pass with the Cyclo polisher using F7 to remove swirls. After that I use Turtle Wax clear polymer finish by spraying it on and wiping with a micro towel. I don't get water spots like I did using Nuvite S polish and c;ear polish coats. Charli E
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #208

2008 19' International CCD
SURREY , BC
Need your Airstream polished and live in Vancouver BC. I have an Asrto drum polisher, check out my we site at Moores Mobile Detailing 1-888-856-2526
RobertPolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #209
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
A project from Florida

Greetings All,
I have pictures of my polishing project under the Tradewind Forum but thought I would place a few here for anyone who dosen't venture over there. 10 weekends between hurricanes and heat but was well worth it.
Here are some before and after pictures.
Thanks to everyone for all of the tips!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4590.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	70540   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4531.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	70542  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Stem.bmp (506.3 KB, 156 views)
File Type: bmp Stripping Process.bmp5.bmp (506.3 KB, 178 views)
daanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #210
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Schweet!!!

We have a 73 23' Safari - did the same thing to it. Even bought the same wheel covers.

You might want to consider getting a rock-guard for those front windows. It’s a lot cheaper than buying and replacing the front glass on your baby...

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #211
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Thanks Much! The wheel covers were cheap enough to get an extra set just in case I throw one. My original manual says the front window is stronger than the windshield of a car. Ever hear that before?
daanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
No..but, it sure looks SUPERA NICE~!
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #213
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Polished Airstream - Documented Fire Hazard

This is one of those posts that should be predicated by "...you're not gonna believe this shi..." - but I have the pics to prove it.

Backround:

Polished (but dirty) Airstream - 10:00 Sunday morning - Beautiful fall day - November 16, 2008, in a Far West Houston Suburb - not a cloud in the azure sky.

Airstream was pulled about 2000 miles since last touch-up to polish job (one month ago) - and not washed since then...the point being that this was not concours polish job - lots of road grime and rain spots.

Outside temp 60 degrees F. The trailer was hooked up to it's Tow Vehicle (3/4 ton Dodge Shortie Conversion Van). Trailer parked North/South with the front facing south - and the front 6 feet under (northward) into a 15' high carport.

What happened - DW was cleaning and airing out vehicles (beautiful day for it) took the plastic floor mats from the Saturn Toad, laid them on the concrete in front of the trailer, and went to Wally World with a friend....

...a combination of reflections from the trailer focused a beam about 6" long and 1" wide strong enough to heat the floor mat to it's bubble point, and the mat was smoking all along the 6" beam of light...I strongly suspect it would have caught fire had I not saw the smoke rising from the floor mat.

I came around the corner the work on the interior of the trailer maybe a short half hour later....and saw smoke...the mat was just below the rear door mounted spare tire for the Dodge Van.

I moved the plastic floor mat from the reflection area while it was still smoking - but I wanted to get a few pics to document what happened.

The sun was being reflected from at least three areas - I followed the reflection up with my hand to:
  1. An area which appears to have a slight concave shape to it - just under the curb side of the front window.
  2. An area just below the collar on the curb side propane tank.
  3. The access door to where the battery was originally mounted on the curb side front of the trailer.
There may have been another area which was adding to the focused heat, but I only had "shadows" to follow with the reflection on my hand, so I am unable to verify other reflective sources.

The mat was on the concrete, about 3' South of the front of the trailer, and about 2' West of the centerline.

Glad it wasn't more serious - just wanted to give a heads up on a potential fire hazard.

Here's a pic of the driveway, the trailer, and the carport. Imagine the traler being moved back about 40' and that is where the could-have-been-catastrophy occured.

The primary reflective area can be seen in the picture above - between the rock guard and the battery access door, just to the curb side of the original Univolt vent in the center of the trailer. It appears (in the picture) to have a sort of a white area bordered by two red lines.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #214
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I have heard stories about shiny aluminum trailers starting fires in the woods because of reflections from the trailer to the leaves and twigs on the ground.
This happened to a friend of ours. They had a new shiny aluminum living quarter horse trailer worth about $150,000. They saddled up left for a ride, a while later decided to go back for something and found the ground around the unit on fire. The shiny aluminum acts as a magnifying glass it reflected just at the right angle on the ground and set fire to it. Lucky for them they came back or it would have been a total loss not to mention the forest fire....Weird

Thats why we haven't polished out AS yet..Yah ..thats it!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #215

Lombard , Illinois
Im interested in restoring the skin on my 29' 1976 trailer. I would prefer to apply a clear coat to protect the open aluminum after. What is your take on this? Not to apply a clear Ive heard can lead to problems with spotting and oxidation, especially if the trailer is not stored under protection. Who can do the clear coating?
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #216
COMMERCIAL VENDOR

O'Fallon , Illinois
Sharkhide clear coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
Im interested in restoring the skin on my 29' 1976 trailer. I would prefer to apply a clear coat to protect the open aluminum after. What is your take on this? Not to apply a clear Ive heard can lead to problems with spotting and oxidation, especially if the trailer is not stored under protection. Who can do the clear coating?
Hey there Gregory,
You're right about not protecting the aluminum with something. Without any protection, your trailer will turn back to ugly in no time. Your options are to wax on a pretty regular basis, or clear coat it. But that's the big question around this forum. Clear coat it with what? As you might guess, I'm pretty partial to Sharkhide Metal Protectant. I've used Sharkhide before to clear coat Air streams, but never bothered to take photo's. I wish now that I had, as well as had a way to keep in touch with the owners so people could see how well it's been holding up. There have been a few folks here on the forum that's applied Sharkhide them selves. You might want to check out their posts. But if you would prefer, I can certainly do the job for you. I'm here in O'Fallon Illinois, about twenty miles east of St.Louis.
If your interested, just let me know. I would be more than happy to help in any way.
Clint
618-624-4091
WWW.SHARKHIDE.COM
t_birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #217
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
stripping

can you do this step in the winter? or should i wait until spring? i didnt know if the cold weather affects the reaction.
rollingbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #218
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Most paint strippers have directions on the packaging that list recommended temperatures, some might be ok, though most do better when in the 50-70 degree temps, but you might get a couple warm days you could get some good results this winter in that range.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #219
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Re-Polish Question

I am polishing my Trade Wind, it has been several years since the PO did the initial polish and it has begun to show some areas where the aluminum has oxidized to the point of turning a brownish color. I am using a Cyclo and the plan is to clean it up with a pass or two of Nuvite "C" and then do a finish pass with "S". Some of the more oxidized areas are not clearing up as quickly as I had hoped and still show some color after a few passes. Should I switch to a more aggressive polish in these areas and then go the "C" and "S" route or just keep going with the "C"? After about 6 passes the color appears to be gone.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #220
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Its about time your getting around to polishing that trailer - the PO has been taking notes watching his many many many many hours of sweat and toil fade away

You may want to try F7 - I like it because it starts agressive and smooths out to a fine grit - a great all around polish. In fact there are some who are happy with the results of F7 only - after all you just want it to look good, not be a show model.

Your best 1975 Airstream Friend,
Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote