Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Strip Clear Coat 1976

While going through some old photos today I found some before and after pics that I took when I stripped the clear cost from my 1976 31' Sovereign. I got the A/S in November 2000 and these were taken in April 2001. I used BIX stripper that I found at Home Depot.

The 1st 6 pics are before and the last 4 after. I was amassed then and now in what a difference it made. The clear coat actually looked like it was melting down the side in places, I guess from sitting out in a dirt field for about 10 years

I still have not polished it yet and the finish still looks real good. I will get around to polishing one of these days.

Don
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream strip clear coat.pdf (2.03 MB, 313 views)

Old 01-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
WOW!! No polish on that? Man I wonder if mine would look that great like that? I really don't want to polish every year but the look of going "Bald" is just plain UGLY

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mechanicsville , Virginia
Did you just strip the clear coat? I am VERY new to this. Did you have to use a polisher (cyclo) to apply the BIX
Thx
Tim
Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
yes, that looks amazingly good for no polish...

all of us with 'ugly' trailers are hoping for similar results with no polish..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250PUP View Post
Did you just strip the clear coat? I am VERY new to this. Did you have to use a polisher (cyclo) to apply the BIX
Thx
Tim
Well, I'm not the guy who stripped his AS, but BIX is a stripper. It is generally applied with a paint brush. A cyclo polisher is used once the clear coat is removed, and is used with various grades of polish. BIX will eat your skin, polishes used with a cyclo (or any other polisher) won't. Hope that helps you out.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Well, I'm not the guy who stripped his AS, but BIX is a stripper. It is generally applied with a paint brush. A cyclo polisher is used once the clear coat is removed, and is used with various grades of polish. BIX will eat your skin, polishes used with a cyclo (or any other polisher) won't. Hope that helps you out.
I am the one who stripped my AS with BIX. Get the BIX in a gallon can. Its is a liquid gel solution which will stick to vertical area's better. Pour it in a flat container like the pan you use for a paint roller. Then brush on in 3' to 4' square area starting at the top. You can apply it starting on the top of the trailer or as high up on the curve of the roof as you want or need to go. Let it do its think for a few minutes, you can tell when the clear coat is lifting off, then wash it off. and go to the next spot. Wear rubber chemical resistant gloves and protective clothing. Keep the Bix off of tail light and running light lens and the front rock guard and the blue trim. Its best to remove these items first. Go back over any area that still has clear coat remaining and then wash the trailer real well with a liquid car wash/wax product.

I did not polish my A/S or use any type of buffer. What you see is just the bare aluminum. Your results may be different based on the age and condition of your trailer. I have always stored my A/S in a garage type storage so it still looks pretty good after about 10 years.

Here are some recent outside and inside pictures of my A/S. It may not be the shiniest A/S on the lot but it looks pretty good. I wash it before each trip with a good quality liquid car wash/wax product and wipe it down with towels.

Don 1976 31' Sovereign
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Don's 1976 Airstream.pdf (4.28 MB, 141 views)
Old 03-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
I am currently trying to clean eight years of decomposed pinestraw and leaves off the roof of my '78 Ambassador. The brown/black spots are kicking my backside. It has several side panels where the clearcoat is still somewhat intact. Would like for it to have a uniform color. Would BIX also remove old crud off of roof? I noticed that the roof has oxidation into the aluminum which I realize can only be compunded off at a furutre date. Thanks. Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream78 012.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	628.5 KB
ID:	98226  
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Plympton , Massachusetts
No Bix :(

I went to Home Depot to get Bix, but they only carry the Bix stripper for wood surfaces and I couldn't find it on their website either. I bought the smaller size of the Klean Strip KS3 to try it out. Anybody know anything about this product? Is it fairly equivalent to Bix?