Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 08:38 AM   #57
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
Re: Lets clarify...

Quote:
[i]

I earler posted that it was $2 a bottle- I got the bill and checked- its $3.50, plus shipping- still damn cheap.

[/B]
Where did you get it for $2 a bottle, the website says $13 + shipping. : ) Do you strip the clear coat first?

Old 07-18-2003, 08:43 AM   #58

I know what it sells for...

And my neighbor came over yesterday and asked what I was using and he said he bought some here at the flea market for his T-bucket that was $9 a bottle- flea priced!

Lets see what swab and chi say- and we'll start spreading it around if anyone wants it.

Old 07-19-2003, 08:49 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Trailertrash,
I plan to do my 31 ft AS in Sept and would like to get on the list and happy to pay for the SS plus shipping.

I have no experience in polishing and not a lot of patience but am happy to take advantage of your experience.
Please advise how to obtain the SS and how much I will need.

Thanks for making it available.

Garry
Old 07-19-2003, 09:30 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Hey Trumpwer,
Your bear looks ominously similar to the one trying to pass through airport security with a loaded pistol in it's innerds recently in Florida, where apparently trailertrash is located. Coincidence?
I love the look of polished aluminum on these airstreams and envy the ones I see. I personally would not labor so much to get my MH polished to that lustre. In fact, I'm very glad to have purchased mine in a painted condition, so that I don't even have to contemplate it. I would not feel compelled to sweat beads at times, had it been unpainted.
Have you ever seen the beautiful, shiny copper that goes up at times in buildings, that eventually turns an oxidized green? That's how I would have left my MH, oxidized in a natural state of the second law of thermodynamics, entropy.
Ahhh, maybe not, now that I think about it further. Oh well.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:20 PM   #61

Thats a good one astro-

I think if I didn't get off on the results and had such good luck with my system, I'd paint mine a combo of bright silver and gunmetal gray- I have 10 right now, and an Awlgrip job on each would be around $75,000 total- and I'd rather just buff away. I really want one of those damn Airmarks though- it would make life sssoooooo easy!
You guys with clear coat need to check out a test spot with the orange paint remover at Homo Depot, and its water based, works well when ya leave it sit for about 45 minutes,, and then rinse it off with high water pressure.
Pick some up and do a small test spot and see what happens. I also hear that NAPA makes a pretty good remover for aluminum, but my local store doesn't carry it...
Old 07-19-2003, 09:34 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
So how do I get some of the SS ??????????????

Garry
Old 07-19-2003, 10:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
I was just watching "Power Block", an automotive show about souped up engines, and they advertised a metal sealer that prevents corrosion and oxidation on all kinds of metals, including aluminum. They said it allows for very few polishings due to the seal. It happened so fast that I couldn't write it down. Hopefully someone has heard or seen it and knows about what I'm referring to. I saw that their website is www.powerblocktv.com, but I couldn't find info on the sealer.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:57 AM   #64

I've never seen...

any of those sealer/protectors that didn't leave a dull finish. I just checked on some stuff called Zoop Seal- but it would cost around $3-400 to do a trailer- and I have no idea if it will leave a dull coating like the rest.
The yacht industry has a product called Woody Wax- it works really well, last about 6 months, but leaves it milky- just like Armor All does, but at 5 times the price- it does last longer though...
Old 07-24-2003, 07:45 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

Tried the SS last night ...

Joel (Chitownairstreams) Eric (Silvertwinkie) and I (Airstreamcaravel) got together last night to start polishing
Joe's trailer .... I tried the much typed about "Southern Shine"

I can't say that I was un-impressed ... With a great deal of pressure and rubbing, I WAS able to polish a small area (the size of a half dollar) in a relatively small amount of time.

It did leave a fair amount of swirls and scratches. It appeared
to be a "surface shine" and had no where near the depth of shine the is achieved by the tried and true method of 4 grades of Nuvite and a dual cyclo.

That being said, I feel that the product does has its good qualities and uses ... I feel it could be a great supplemental product to the shinning process. I just need to figure out where it would fit in to the overall shinning and maintaining process.

I dont feel that It should replace the traditional process.

Didn't have time last night .... but will try the SS with a dual cyclo...
Could be interesting!

Dave
Old 07-24-2003, 08:24 AM   #66
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: Tried the SS last night ...

Quote:
Originally posted by airstreamcaravel
Didn't have time last night .... but will try the SS with a dual cyclo...
Could be interesting!
That may be the key right there. As you said, with Nuvite and a dual cyclo, you're going through a 4 step process. If you were only using a rag and elbow grease for the test section last night, I don't think that would be a fair comparison.

If I understand Trailertrash correctly (from previous posts on this product) a buffer is recommended. This product just helps eliminate some of those 4 steps. Is this correct TT?
Old 07-24-2003, 08:43 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Ah ... but thats the rub!!

It is my experience that its IS the Four Grade process of polishing with Nuvite that gives the DEPTH of shine that was missing with the Southern Shine.

I am yet to be convinced that there is any subsitute for this tried and true method. (But I am keeping an open mind)

Dave
Old 07-24-2003, 08:54 AM   #68

you guys are funny!

I've said explicitly- "YOU HAVE TO USE A BUFFER/GRINDER!!!"
You trying it by hand was a waste of your time- and I suppose Nuvite at its price would work by hand? No.
I have 10 trailers right now- and I can buy Nuvite for wholesale. I know that if I take SS and buff with it on an older badly oxidized trailer, that it comes out shining after the first pass, and if anything is left, it comes out the second pass, and I finish it off with something that is very mild and leaves a higher luster- Flitz, which I got for free, or a product called Ultra High Gloss Polish from Aqua Tech in Wilmington NC.
Steve was going to try it on his already polished but slightly dull Caravel, and I advised him to use it on something that was in worse shape- he could go with the Flitz, Nuvite, Ultra HG, finishing products, as his hard work is already done.
On my buffer- I use it on speed 3 out of 6- relatively slow, but you have to experiment and see what happens- be careful not to use an accelerated speed and burn your metal and leave it stretched and warped.
Good luck trying it again- but don't waste your time "hand buffing" a 20' aluminum trailer- with any product...
Old 07-24-2003, 09:05 AM   #69
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: you guys are funny!

Quote:
Originally posted by trailertrash
you guys are funny!
That may be. We may even be a riot!

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what the up-side of SS is over Nuvite. If you're still having to go through all the steps with SS as you do with Nuvite, what's the advantage? I was of the impression that you were suggesting this product as an easier or quicker method of getting that same high gloss shine. Maybe I misunderstood your earlier posts on this product.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:12 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

GEE ...

I feel like I've has my paws slapped!

I guess TT has never read "How to win friends and influence people"

A simple thank you for the attempt and a steering towards his
preferred method would have been fine.

Dave