Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2003, 07:06 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
These 3m pads fit your poilisher? Or do you use a wool bonnet? You said you have swirl marks, then you put some on one of the 3m pads to remove the swirls. Did I get that right.

It sounds like what you are doing is similar to the typical Nuvite/Rolite polish process with the exception that you don't need a Cyclo polisher. I've done the Nuvite with my Makita Polisher. My next step was going to be to buy a Cyclo ($300) and more Nuvite. Maybe I'll give your stuff a try. Might save me $300.

Old 06-26-2003, 08:43 AM   #16

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I'm skeptical...if this stuff is so much better, and so much easier, why would people go to all the trouble that they do to polish the "standard" way that I've seen described.....which takes a month of sunday's to complete, polishing the entire trailer several times with varying grades of polish, etc, etc, etc..... One description I read about one of the professional polishers is that it takes 2 guys that know exactly what they're doing, have exactly the right tools and equipment, and have done it hundreds of times before, 40 hours of labor to do a 28 or 30 ft trailer. yikes!

another general polishing question that I haven't seen addressed before in the numerous discussions about this subject: once a trailer has that chrome-like shine on it....what is required to maintain it? will it stay that way indefinately if it is waxed regularly, or does it need to be periodically re-polished? if the latter, what is that period? (i.e. how often does it need to be re-done?).

Old 06-26-2003, 09:35 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
I remember reading somewhere (RJ Dial's website maybe? Vintageairstream) that a yearly touch up might be needed? I guess it would depend on whether you can protect it from the elements etc. I know around here I'll have to deal with acid rain and junk in the air too, yippee.
Jason & Veronica J.
S.E. Michigan
1955 Commodore Vanderbilt 30'
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Old 06-26-2003, 10:09 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm at the annual touch-up stage. My trailer was polished by the previous owner, and it's beautiful and shiney, but not like a mirror (which is fine with me). But when you get up close you can see water marks on it and places where it just could use a little shining up. I don't know if he regularly waxed it, he gave me so much good info when we picked it up, I should have taken notes, I can't remember it all! Either way, now I'd like to just get the water marks off and maintan it's shine with the minimum of work (of course).

Old 06-26-2003, 11:09 AM   #19
Its all work- and trailers have varying conditions that extend the amount of time necessary. I have a Cyclo that I got brand new, for free, and I tried it once and put it back in the box- too gimmicky for me...
I'm pretty fortunate when it comes to polishing, I'm 6'5" and pretty strong, and I can take the buffer with one hand and go almost to where the roof starts to get flat, without using a ladder. Ladders and steps take a lot more time- moving them and climbing them up and down. I get a chair with wheels to roll up and down the bottom of the trailer so I don't have to bend down and reposition myself, just push along. I work on it really hard, and sweat bullets- its not an easy 8-10 hours. You should wait and see what Steve says after this weekend- its not a miracle polish, but I like it and it is CHEAP.

Stef- The water spots are from hard water- check this softener out- I won't wash mine without it- especially in the hot sun, where the spots start sticking as soon as they hit the surface.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:20 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

I checked out Barnett Harley-Davidson today, they not only didn't have it, they never heard of it. They're supposed to be one of,if not"the" biggest HD shops in the nation. They even have their own magazine! Oh well, back to old "No.7"

Old 06-26-2003, 06:45 PM   #21
Barnetts is huge, and they sell a whole bunch of products that don't work that are pumped by all HD dealers because they get a floorplan program. A lot sell the products called Clean Cycle- their Metal Polish is good, but just because they sell it, doesn't make it as good as SS or White Diamond.
I keep saying- wait and see what Steve Hintgen says- maybe I'm the only one who likes it, and it does great with what I've used it on, so I'll continue.
I can say that I bought a trailer from someone in the "business" and when I did my SS trick, their mouths dropped.
Wait and see what Steve says...
Old 06-26-2003, 10:09 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
How about some photos.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:19 PM   #23
I'm on the road right now and some of my stuff is on ships heading over to Europe, but if nothing else, as soon as I can I'll take a buffer and hit it for 2-3 minutes on a totally dull trailer, and send you the photos. Steve should be proof...
I usually bring my buffer on the road with me, unfortunately, this trip it stayed at home...
Old 06-28-2003, 03:38 PM   #24
To Trailertrash

I want to buy some southern shine. How can I get it ASAP? I want to polish up my airstream before I take pictures this summer!!
Old 06-28-2003, 07:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
check the post up top of this thread with the link to the internet sales for this stuff.....
Old 07-07-2003, 07:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
What happened to the Southern Shine Test update?
Old 07-08-2003, 09:59 AM   #27
Rivet Master
1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Yes where is that report. I,m sure there are others who,s cureosity was piqued. Give us the low-down. Silverhawk, Bob,
Old 07-08-2003, 11:48 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
Did anyone see the Southern Shine Polish demo?

Closed Thread