Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2006, 02:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Southern Shine anyone?

I was reading some newer threads and noticed that one members posts/replies all seemed a little acrimonious. Being curious, I clicked on the members name and researched his/her other posts. They all have the same tone. (No names here, I’m not trying to point fingers - it's just how I found SS)

In researching that members posts, I backed into a couple old threads about Southern Shine. WOW. It seems there is no quicker way to start a war than to drop that moniker into everyday conversation – instant flame on .

Anyways – whatever happened to the distribution of that product by another member? Did it fizzle out? It appears the SS web site is no longer peddling.

All the “discussions” and descriptions of this product got me wondering about the Diamond Brite I’m using – I wonder if it’s made out of some rouge and paint thinner – I do have to shake it up before use, as it tends to separate.

- But…. I do have pictures of it’s (Diamond Brite, not SS) effectiveness. See how it worked here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/241720-post42.html
(also look at robandzoe’s trailer – he’s got great looking results!)
The pictures were taken in the late evening, so they are a little dark. You can see that it shines up great. What you don’t see are the deeper scratches that haven’t come out – they’ll take quite a few passes, or might have to wait till next year when I go the cyclo/nuvite route. This year the “it looks good from a couple feet” look, and the “it looks great from a few more feet look” will have to suffice. There’s camping to be done!

Comparable results were achieved using “Met-All”, mostly by hand and/or with a car buffer. Seen here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/240557-post38.html
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:19 AM   #2
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
memorable thread

Hi there;
I remember well this memorable thread about the SS product and I've ordered some bottles to a member ( now moderator...) and she stopped the sale , on her site , i don't know why.
I've tried to polish and it was not a miracle product; LOT OF works and time and not perfect. I'had begun with the rear bumper so I've stopped when it was impossible to polish the new quality aluminum panel, just riveted after my crash ( the story on my blog, english version available :

http://american-dream-in-france.blog...airstream.html

Now i use the SS to keep mirror my two LPG bottles each year because the aluminum become oxydised... I don't envy the owners that have to do that on all the Airstream body, each year...

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I have used a product here in CA called what a shine ,green or pink liquid .
it sounds like the same product .I have used it on my 60 trdwnd alot and it works excellent ,BUT my skin was already smooth and shiny ,not polished like a mirror ,dull ,but shiny .It takes alot of work however ,and i would imagine that an oxidized trailer would take long hours .the green is the heavier cut ,then the pink to finish.It works really well on a trailer in pretty good condition ,the nuvite and cyclo will give the most proffesionall results as will the airmark tools that the pros do use.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I quit carrying it because the reports I was getting back from users said that it shined quick, and the shine went away quick, and over time people weren't very happy with the result. As in - the other products make the shine last a lot longer for a little more work. I confirmed this with my own experiments.

Also the guy selling it was very difficult to work with, and it was more hassle than it was worth. I just sold it as a favor to the community, to make it easily available. I wasn't making money on it after all the work of shipping.

For what it's worth, I think the other stuff (white diamonds, what a shine, etc) is the exact same stuff. Whoever manufactures it sells it to people who put their own label on it and distribute it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
Check out www.metalwax.com. After trying a number of differant aircraft type polishes, I am very happy with this product. The shine lasts and the product is easy to use.

Paul Fahy
Atascadero, Ca

Salem or Bust!!
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey stefrobrts, I agree and you are most likley correct about the other products being the same stuff .When I used my cyclo and the nuvite ,the shine was really good and did last longer .Im sure it is because the aluminum is being brought up to a shine thru working the aluminum and refining it with the different grades of nuvite .The green polish seems to convert the aluminum and bring out a fast shine ,but does not do what the compounding
process can do .It'll take work to get the best shine results .

Scott of scottanlily
Old 06-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
shine

southern shine! i thought this thread was about MOONSHINE! i guess i'm still a newbe.

crowbar
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
um mm

We had use the diamond brite and had no problem with the shine going away after awhile but, we only tired the door to see if it worked.We plan to use it for the rest of the camper along with the niv S for the end polishes.Unless some one has something they like better...Ill give it a try
Old 06-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey Angel73,

The "what a shine " did work good ,and I like it for quick polish up ,but when I used it ,i had to do each panel on the trailer about 3 to 4 times to really get the shine i wanted and the more effort i put in it the shine was better ,manually by hand ,so after doing my tradewind a few times i decided to get the cyclo and nuvite ,my arms still get tired though. the cyclo way just gets the aluminum in a much better polished condition so it lasts longer.

Scott
Old 06-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Hum

Well am using a high speed buffer....Thats strange cause the more i go over it the worse the swirl marks get it does better if i just go over it until the polishes is gone.Maybe am doing something wrong.But i hear the cyclo are real nice but its out of my price range.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
.......It'll take work to get the best shine results .

Scott of scottanlily
and that's the key Scott!

I've used Met-All because an old can of it came with my AS acquisition. I'm using the Diamond Brite because it was recommended here by another member who used it on his whole TT and it looked good. I've found them both to work pretty good with a cheap sander/polisher to remove the oxidation layers. It is a great looking shine for less effort, time, and the big killer - money. However - to achieve the desirable mirror finish I know I'll be investing in a cyclo and nuvite. But as I said above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpumpkin
....have to wait till next year when I go the cyclo/nuvite route. This year the “it looks good from a couple feet” look, and the “it looks great from a few more feet look” will have to suffice. There’s camping to be done!
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Well GreatPumkin,

I used the "what a shine" for a while and still i like its results .Matter of fact it seems more user friendly than the cyclo/nuvite way .I had to save up for the cyclo as it's kind of a luxury you know .Still as i said previously I use the
"what a shine " green and pink polish to go over the trdwnd .I am going to use both types of polishing to keep it nice .Mine is not a mirror finish as I don't want to keep after it constantly every other weekend.You are absolutly
correct about "it will take work " and lots of it ,but then thats how you will get that finish.I also use the met-all too.

For Angel73

You don't want to go too high a speed on the buffer ! It can overheat the aluminum and warp it ,be careful there.You need to go medium speed or less depending on the polish you are using. Any buffing will leave swirl marks ,thats wear the cyclo comes in do to the counter rotating heads that remove the swirls.It could be that the surface is then too dry and the buff cuts into the surface .I used the green and pink polishes by HAND so I didn't get the swirl marks ,going side to side only ,the pink is a very fine finish polish.So thats about all I can add to the polishing thread.

Scott of scottanlily