Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Indiana
shine up without polishing?

Just bought our new 1976 Sovereign. I eventually plan to polish but don't have the time right now. Are there any alternatives to just putting a decent and even shine on our AS? Would auto paste wax applied with a buffer improve things? The top and shoulders of our AS have what looks like oxidation - can I buff this away?

We have spent time removing old adhesive residue and now just want to try to get a uniform clean look to the exterior - any suggestions?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Hail on wheels

1992 25' Excella
Little Elm , Texas
White diamond polish. You can get it at O'Rielys

Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
You will also have to strip the clear coat first. Then any aluminum polish will work.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan3326 View Post
The top and shoulders of our AS have what looks like oxidation - can I buff this away?

We have spent time removing old adhesive residue and now just want to try to get a uniform clean look to the exterior - any suggestions?
You're right, the "sunburn" look on the top & shoulders is where the clearcoat has failed and the aluminum has started to oxidize at various rates. Unfortuantely, it doesn't fail evenly - thus the splotchy look.

The shiney areas, usually down lower on the sides are where the clearcoat hasn't yet failed. These areas can also sometimes look "milky" as it begins to fail. You can just strip the remaining clearcoat and get a better overall appearance until you decide to polish. This will keep the remaining areas from oxidizing randomly and let it do so more evenly without the interference of the failing clearcoat exposing the aluminum in layers.

Ultimately you have to strip everything anyways prior to polishing no matter what products you decide to use. If you don't strip first, you will just create a bigger mess and more work - trying to polish through the remaining clearcoat.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
My 1976 looked rough mostly due to various conditions of the clear coat. I used ReMoveall twice rolled on with a paint roller and removed with a pressure washer. It will make a lot of difference in the looks. Once you do that then start polishing as you find time.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan3326 View Post
Just bought our new 1976 Sovereign. I eventually plan to polish but don't have the time right now. Are there any alternatives to just putting a decent and even shine on our AS? Would auto paste wax applied with a buffer improve things? The top and shoulders of our AS have what looks like oxidation - can I buff this away?

My concern is what will happen after removing the clearcoat, giving the aluminum a light polish, and then reapplying clearcoat (i.e. the Clear Acryllic from Out-of-Doors Mart). I have considered the following "touch-up" polishes:

1. White diamond polish
It removes oxidation and discoloration and cuts through grime quickly and effectively without acid or ammonia! No sufrace cleaning is needed before use! (Great to bring discolored automobile headlights back to clear!) Unlike other metals polishes, it will leave a non-greasy wax protective finish on the surface to protect the shine. (will this cause “fish-eye”?)

2. Diamond Bright Truck Box Polish
· Gives your truck tool box that “like new" shine
· Designed to work in tough, salty road conditions
· Works great on any metal surface
· Applies quickly and easily
· Protects metal while it shines (will this cause “fish-eye”?)
3. Wright’s Silver Cream

isn’t just for polishing silver. Use it to brighten all sorts of things throughout your home—start with the list on this page. .
Aluminum
Alloy wheels
Appliance surfaces
Auto chrome
etc.
I tried the Wrghts (after stripping the clear coat), using a clean t-shirt to apply. It removed the tarnish and rinsed clear. I have not applied clearcoat yet.

Wrights also makes an aluminum cream for cleaning wheels, but it leaves a "protective" finish. My concern with any product that leaves a residue of wax, petrocarbon, or silicone is that it will get into the grain of the aluminum and affect the adhesion of new clearcoat.

The original clearcoat on my Airstream is in great condition, but I had some milky sunburn spots in the clearcoat on the curb-side below the awning and above the window line. I have stripped this section. The metal is clean and has no spots or discoloration.
After I apply the clearcoat, I will post pictures...
Yes, I am sceptical about the outcome......