Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Montezuma , Georgia
Satin Finish

Can anyone give me some instructions how to restore the satin finish on a polished panel? I removed the oxidation and now its looks like crome. It does not match the other panels.
lpetroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Are you talking about an Airstream outside body panel?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetroski View Post
Can anyone give me some instructions how to restore the satin finish on a polished panel? I removed the oxidation and now its looks like crome. It does not match the other panels.
A recent discovery of Bon Ami powder cleanser seemed to work when helping a friend clean a few decades of black tree deposits on the metal. with a little work it removed the black stuff leaving a satin finish. The container states it does not scratch....but reading the label states there is is limestone and a few other abrasives in the mix. But it did leave a satin finish.
Bon Ami :: Products :: Powder Cleanser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide_3.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	116738   Click image for larger version

Name:	custom 083.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	116739  

Name:	custom 098.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	116740  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Montezuma , Georgia
SteveH, Yes I have a 1993 limited and the clear coat is coming off. It oxidized before I could refinish it. I polished the front cap to a crome finish but I want it to match the rest of the Airstream with a factory like finish.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Montezuma , Georgia
Thanks Safari62. Is the secound picture in your post after using Bon Ami? If so, that is the finish Im looking for.

Thanks Lpetroski
Old 12-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetroski View Post
SteveH, Yes I have a 1993 limited and the clear coat is coming off. It oxidized before I could refinish it. I polished the front cap to a crome finish but I want it to match the rest of the Airstream with a factory like finish.
The factory finish on the aluminum panels is a machine finish. By polishing to chrome apperance, you have removed the machine finish. It will probably take some sort of abrasive to make it look more like the factory, like Safari62 has stated, but I really don't know how you are going to get the direction of the machine marks correct by hand. If you use a rotory devise like a polisher, it will have a swirl apearance. I really don't know what to say at this point.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I do lots of work with aluminum and although I have never refinished an AS panel, I have looked at mine and think it would be relatively easy to satisfactorly match using 3M Scotchbrite pads. They come in various grades so one would have to experiment. I am guessing the maroon general purpose grit would work. You would need to try it on an area to see. The key to doing this kind of work by hand is to keep the motion straight forward and back and avoid any circular type motion. These finishes typically have a grain to them, and it is important to keep the grain in the same direction, uniformily. That is where the skill is in getting a good result. If that finish is too fine, you might try a sanding sponge using the same technique. Good luck.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I have restored the matte finish on a shiny spot of my former aluminum macbook by laying 600 grit sandpaper on the shiny area, then rubbing a hard roller over it in many directions, quite hard.

This removes the chrome finish and restores the microscopically rough surface, and you have a lot of control over how "matte" it comes out.

I'm sure this will apply equally well to Alclad.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
To follow up with LP in the my post that is a yes to the question that the photo is an after photo. That is after using the BON AMI cleaner on the aluminum.

Both John and Steve bring up good points to keep the motion straight when doing this to stay to the grain of the metal...or at least to control the way the light will show on the surface after cleaning. It seemed to look much more even when I followed the line of the segments.

Keep in mind this was on a 57' with nice flat 13 panel segments. Larger open sections may be more of a challenge!

I think we were using sponges with 3M pads with the Bon Ami. Once an even satin finish is achieved I would think waxing the surface would be wise.

So the satin finish which is more like the original "mill" finish returns. I think our small experiment had alot to do with the year of the trailer/metal and newer Airstreams with different finishes could be different.

This is interesting to me because my 62' now is mostly very polished. And being a slave to fashion (and also pretty sick of polishing) I may experiment with a highly polished section on my trailer to see if it can be brought back to the duller satin like finish. In the pursuit of the original look.....and of course to get off the polishing merry go round.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slide_4.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	116835  
Old 12-11-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Montezuma , Georgia
Satin Finish

Thanks Safari62: Good information. I'm going to try the suggestions from every one that postes a reply hopefully today if the weather will cooperate with me. I will keep you informed.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Super duty rubbing (cream) compound (made by 3M) will get you the satin finish with ease, and will remove the Oxidation too. Use Kerosene to wipe up black with multiple rag t shirts. 14.00 for a large bottle that goes a long way.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Montezuma , Georgia
Satin Finish

RedhawkerII. What type of applicator should I use? By hand or orbital polisher, any suggestions?

lpetroski
Old 12-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Yep, I am about to jump off the polishing career too.
I have 34 ft. Limited and just don't have the time to maintain the highly
Polished look anymore.
I was just thinking of going back to a matte finish and then treating it with
Sharkhide maybe, Just to protect from uneven oxidation settling back in.
I have heard about sandblasting the aluminum with baking soda
To get a very even texture. Still sounds lime slot of masking off areas and
protecting windows. AC etc. And every nook and crannie.
So, Bon amie, 3M abrasive pads, anything else?
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Sorry to resurrect a 1 year old thread, but does anyone have thoughts on the last couple questions?

I purchased a few cans of bon-ami and wonder if a random orbital is the best to apply. If it will actually effect the aluminum mill I imagine the result will not reflect light equally. Thoughts?

How about the use of the super rubbing compound? How do you keep a consistent surface?
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandnora View Post
Sorry to resurrect a 1 year old thread, but does anyone have thoughts on the last couple questions?

I purchased a few cans of bon-ami and wonder if a random orbital is the best to apply. If it will actually effect the aluminum mill I imagine the result will not reflect light equally. Thoughts?

How about the use of the super rubbing compound? How do you keep a consistent surface?
This is a quote from my previous post earlier in this thread.

"To follow up with LP in the my post that is a yes to the question that the photo is an after photo. That is after using the BON AMI cleaner on the aluminum.

Both John and Steve bring up good points to keep the motion straight when doing this to stay to the grain of the metal...or at least to control the way the light will show on the surface after cleaning. It seemed to look much more even when I followed the line of the segments.

Keep in mind this was on a 57' with nice flat 13 panel segments. Larger open sections may be more of a challenge!

I think we were using sponges with 3M pads with the Bon Ami. Once an even satin finish is achieved I would think waxing the surface would be wise.

So the satin finish which is more like the original "mill" finish returns. I think our small experiment had alot to do with the year of the trailer/metal and newer Airstreams with different finishes could be different."

I believe your aluminum is different and therefore it will not react the same way as earilier airstreams. I would also not use an orbital type polisher and stay with 3-M type pads and follow the grain of the segment you are working on.

This also assumes any clearcoat is removed.

Good luck and let us know how it works.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, seeing this thread reminded me that we use these cleaners based on severity of abrasion:

1. Softest is simple baking soda. We use it most of the time for scrubbing pots and pans.

2. More abrasive than baking soda is Bon-Ami or a similar cleaner.

3. Next up in abrasiveness is something like Ajax.

4. Steel wool.

So the question is whether baking soda would do the trick on creating the satin effect on Airstream aluminum.

Lynn
Old 09-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Never tried it. But Sears used to sell a small sander for wood (before the days of random orbit) that vibrated back and forth in a straight line. (no orbit). If you could find one of those and fit a pad to it....might work.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Interesting stuff. I found another thread where they mixed the powder in with the polish just to give extra grit and it worked very well for them.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...zam-70496.html

As for the sander, I looked around and will probably give one a try.

2-3/4" x 17-1/2" Dual Piston Air Inline Sander

Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Mikeandnora, we are getting ready to work on our twin of yours. Do you have airstream-pattern baldness, too? I think we will use citristrip to remove the clear coat, but we are still figuring out what to use to polish or recoat... We aren't looking for a mirror finish or anything. Do you have a white top on yours? The very very top of ours is a white panel. Let me know what you all do and we will do the same!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Hey guys!
Ours is beautiful on one side ( aviator explained that was the side that the previous owner positioned away from the sun or in shade) and then the door side which looks pretty bad. Large blotches all over the place. However the top an front are painted silver. It actually looks ok, so I'm not sure if it will come off or not. I think we will just do everything buy the top and try and wax the top to prevent further problems.

On a positive and exciting note, I put citristrip on one small area and it went from blotchy to beautiful!! Hopefully it all does that and doesn't even need an abrasive!