Old 03-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
deland , Florida
sandblast argosy?

so i picked up this argosy that has been painted by brush at least 3 times in its life. needless to say there is alot of paint on her and i want to bring it back to the bare aluminum and repaint over that anyway whats the best way to blast the shell with out warping it, walnut? i think sand would warp it and i think it would take a week if i used baking soda. any ideas out there

Jason and Miranda 1966 safari/1970 chevy c-10
386kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Be VERY careful about this ... blasting sheet metal tends to "expand" the surface being blasted (much like peening with a hammer), making it larger than it was before thus causing all sorts of horrible consequences.

AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1969 25' Tradewind
1983 34' Limited
fairview , New Mexico
I would just attack it with paint remover. Lots of work but safer for your new baby.

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
I would recommend against sandblasting the shell.

In addition to the admonition above, the aluminum part of the Argosy shell (all if it except the end caps) is probably made of the same Alclad that's used in Airstream trailers. Alclad sheet consists of a high strength alloy with .005 of pure aluminum rolled on the outer surface for corrosion resistance. Sandblasting could easily remove most of that top layer.

Get some Removall stripper and give it a try. The thickness of the paint film makes very little difference to Removall because Removall doesn't dissolve the paint--it attacks the bond between the paint and the underlying surface. When I used it I found that in some cases I could get under the clear coat with a plastic putty knife and then just peel off a sheet of clear coat with my fingers--like it was a plastic bag.

Vintage Trailer Supply has it Napier RemovAll 220 - 1 Gallon and you may be able to find it elsewhere. I got mine from an architectural preservation supply place in Cincinnati, Ohio but that was back when it was made in Canada and a little more commonly available.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
House paint?

A good chance most or some of the paint might just be latex.. If so any mild paint stripper would boil it off so fast it would take longer to clean it off the driveway..

I would to a little test spot to see the results,, but from what I learned about the acids they use to clean alum,, I would not worry at all..

Now the metal area,, I sure would use a baking soda water mix ASAP after the paint was off to kill all the acids..

Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Blasting of any kind risks heating the metal to the point of expanding and warping. You cannot stay in one place. you have to keep moving.

I would try paint remover first.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Currently Looking...
Carseland , Alberta
Stipping & refinishing or not refinishing???

The paint on our "new to us" 1977 Argosy is starting to chip - so we've been wondering about refinishing and it seems stripper/removall is the best answer for the paint removal. But what then? Could we leave the trailer without re-painting, maybe just seal and/or a clearcoat of sorts? Has anyone done this?
Atwood Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
I've got the same job waiting for me this spring. There is a wealth of information here on this subject. If you leave it with clear coat you still
have to deal with the end caps that are steel. I plan to use stripper then
soda blast the difficult places. Sandblasting may be too coarse for alum.
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Nothing New Under the Sun!

I've been a member since 2005 and there have been many alluminating and illuminating threads about painting Argosy's - and even painting Airstreams silver rather than repairing clearcoat periodically.

Aluminum takes some special prep - and the endcaps of an Argosy are usually steel so they have to be painted even if you want to clearcoat the rest of the Argossy to make it more "streamish". (I think one or two years they used fiberglass for the endcaps on the Argy. Knock gently with your knuckles to figure out which you have.

You could probably do an advanced search for "Costalotta" - which was painted by Happy Campers as part of their upgrade/redo. And I think Inland Andy did quite a detailed description about prepping an Airstream for either paint or clearcoating. Just a few places to start looking.

It's nice to see so many people fixing vintage units, but you've got enough work to do without completely reinventing the wheel. Check out as many exterior renovation threads on Argosy's as you can before starting. (And blasting aluminum is a bad idea.)

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Information on stripping an Argosy here:

See post 466 and beyond here for details on painting:

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote