Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Same thing, different year.

I had the same problem. I used SS cleaner then BarKeepers Friend then Turtle Wax. I go over them about once a year. It took some elbow grease.

Randy

Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
thank oregon dept of transportation for using magnesium chloride as a de-icer . It spots stainless steel on my rock guards and the running boards of my truck. used mag wheel cleaner and it took care of most of it. I brought my 27 fb from Eugene to central oregon over pass and there were the brown stains!!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
Thank you all for your excellent responses!!! I am surprised that Airstream is so cheap about the stone/rock guards while the rest of the coach gets so much attention. Shabby! Here is a picture of the rust on the stone/rock guards. The different colors are me reflected in the stainless steel.
Wendy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstreamrustweb.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	128434  
Old 04-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #18
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
That is interesting.

Our 2010 has been through heavy rain, snow, and roads with magnesium chloride and salt. There is not even a hint of rust on rock guards.

However, we do keep the trailer (rock guards included) well waxed with Meguiars Synthetic Sealer.

We also have Rock Tamer mud flaps.

Ken
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Some places in MN have high iron content in the water. Did this happen after you washed it? I'm thinking your water could have left deposits on the shields and that is what you are seeing especially if you didn't dry it afterwards. I really don't know, I'm just guessing.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Mmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
I had the same problem. I used SS cleaner then BarKeepers Friend then Turtle Wax. I go over them about once a year. It took some elbow grease.

Randy

I may be opening a can of worms here. Stainless is a self healing metal but it requires oxygen for this chemical reaction. Stainless has a extremely thin oxidation layer only a few atoms thick when you seal stainless you are prohibiting the repairing oxidation process.
"The passive film requires oxygen to self-repair, so stainless steels have poor corrosion resistance in low-oxygen and poor circulation environments. In seawater, chlorides from the salt will attack and destroy the passive film more quickly than it can be repaired in a low oxygen environment."
Old 04-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
All I know is what happened

Wsmith: I am not rebutting what you posted, you sure sound like you know a lot more than me about metals. All I can say is what I experienced, my rock guards were covered with light rust, I polished them off and coated them with car wax. The inital time was probably four years ago. Since then, all I have done to maintain them is to wax them with Turtle soft paste wax about once a year. It seems to be working.

Randy
Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #22

Here is an interesting (at least to me) short article.

Why doesn't stainless steel rust? : Scientific American

It reminds me of what someone once told me about rust:
A light coating of rust is the best rust preventative there is.

My take on wax vs don't wax after reading this article and the above posts:
It takes oxygen to form a protective barrier on the surface of SS, however it also takes oxygen to form iron oxide (rust). So if you have an effective seal, I believe you don't have to worry about the protective barrier forming.

I don't claim that my ideas are always worth at least two cents, so this is not necessarily my 2 cents worth.

regards,

Ken
Old 04-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #23
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
My wife can use her stainless steel appliances as magnet boards:-) Maytag refrigerator and Jenn Air range . . . both phony.
It's stainless clad steel. People were complaining when they switched from Steel to true stainless that refrig art would not stay up.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from Ga. . . what an interesting thread. We were just today wondering how to get the oil/roadtar stains off the guards and what to wax/seal/protect them with. I thought they were Stainless steel (in some fashion). SWMBO swears by Bar Keepers Friend in the kitchen. Keep this going and thanks, Craig
Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Rust removed! Pictures!!

Hi all~!

The 6 hour de-rusting and waxing process went well. But then I did it all by myself without help so that's why it probably took so long. Here are some pictures. This is the stone guard before and after Barkeeper's Friend was used on it. Applied BKF twice, and most of the spots gratifyingly disappeared!! The entire coach has now been washed and waxed with these two Meguiar's products: Meguiar's Gold Class car wash and the Meguiar' Ultimate Liquid Wax. The Meguiar's ultimate wax is pure polymer. The company also told me that I should put the Ultimate Wax on the stone guards as well, as it will prevent rust.
I'm surprised that the Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ($25/bottle - ouch!) didn't produce a more dramatic result after all that work - the coach gleams, but doesn't shine. How does one get that really reflective surface on one's Airstream? Can't complain, she looks good, though, sitting in our new little driveway. Appreciate everyone's help on this! You're all my best new friends!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstreamrustweb.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	128800   Click image for larger version

Name:	_mg_3275 copy.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	128801  

Name:	_mg_3280.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	128802   Click image for larger version

Name:	_mg_3274.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	128803  

Old 05-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
By the way, regarding the magnets - they have almost no stickiness on the stone guards. I guess that's a good thing. Not much low-grade crap in the stainless steel?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendywoods View Post

I'm surprised that the Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ($25/bottle - ouch!) didn't produce a more dramatic result after all that work - the coach gleams, but doesn't shine. How does one get that really reflective surface on one's Airstream? Can't complain, she looks good, though, sitting in our new little driveway. Appreciate everyone's help on this! You're all my best new friends!

There are members of the forums, that have an extensive knowledge of what exact type of aluminum sheets were used in what years. However, the short of it is: the type of panels used on modern Airstreams do not lend themselves to that mirror shine polishing.

I look on it as a blessing, because it is a lot of work.

Ken
Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
There are members of the forums, that have an extensive knowledge of what exact type of aluminum sheets were used in what years. However, the short of it is: the type of panels used on modern Airstreams do not lend themselves to that mirror shine polishing.

I look on it as a blessing, because it is a lot of work.

Ken
Ken

I have a trailer that has one of the newer types of aluminum Airstream used but before the coating was applied by the Aluminum manufacture. In my case the clear coat was applied at the Airstream factory. You will have the same problem as everyone in the past with time. It is true that the clear coat may have improved through science but at some point in you keep your trailer you will be faced with having it striped and re-coated.
I suggest keeping it waxed and out of the UV rays as much as possible.

Wes

Tags
rust