Old 02-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
thanks clint,

I'm curious from others out there have polished to a mirrorish shine, do you wax (your trailer, the rest I don't wanna know) or did you put some type of clearcoat on again. No progress today, overcast and cold.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No clearcoat here. We use the Nuvite 'S' as the final pass each spring. It leaves a wax-like coating that repels water that lasts through the season here in our dry climate. We only wash with clear water, no deterent or soap. Some use Nu-Finish, but we haven't tried it yet - no need.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
After Nuvite-S I've been finishng with a hand-applied coat of Liquid Glass and cyclo-ing it off with microfiber cloth. It's a bit of extra protection but not impressively lasting if you have to store your trailer out in the elements.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:18 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Hang in there mate, you'll get there, just remember, it could always be worse, you could be polishing a Sovereign! I'm finding polishing builds character, muscles and patience. It's all good really.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	115_1551.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	54811  
Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Rookie polisher II

Don't want to hijack but this may be of help to all of us who are about to tackle the polishing job.

I have found a deal on a quantity of "microfiber" material that some of the experienced polishers refer to as being really good for the final pass. My question is: Would the color of the microfiber material make any difference? (With regular wax, the bottles always recommend using a white cloth.)
The store that has it is closing and only has black microfiber left in stock.

Thanx,

TB
Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I can't see why the color of the micro-fiber towels would matter - other than with black, you can't see when they are dirty.

FWIW, we use yellow ones we've bought at Costco (or Sams Club?) very reasonably priced. I think 20-24 towels for about $10.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I can't see why the color of the micro-fiber towels would matter - other than with black, you can't see when they are dirty.
What Shari said.
I use the cosco cotton towels for the bulk of the work, then use their yellow microfiber towel for a final buff.
Dave
Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Well made progress on Saturday, getting the entire front end cap down to the rub rail polished with F7 and C, and did S around the lights and emblems so I could that all back on as forcasted it rained today. Bannana wrap will be coming off for dent removal before polishing. Think I'm going to tackle the rear end cap next then do the sides. Its not nearly as perfect as some I see on here, but the end cap has about 30 hours of work without the wrap. Only ordered the smallest jar of Nuvite, and pretty much ran myself out of the F7, so reordering for next weekend.

Here's a frew pictures... At least from these angles it looks like its done.. if only!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1509 (Small).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	55042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510 (Small).JPG
Views:	65
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	55043  

Name:	IMG_1513 (Small).JPG
Views:	77
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	55044  
Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Looking pretty darn good!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Petethefeet, trailer looks awesome, how many hours you figure you have into the polish job? Are you polishing the bannana wrap or painting those?

Dave, love your 72! can't wait to have the whole beast shinning like that. Did you paint the inset of the bottom rub rail the blue or is it some type of decal?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Ooooo, now there's a scary question, I have been keeping my hours for the restoration as a whole, and indeed the polishing, putting off doing a tally up for fear of knowing how much time I had actually been ploughing into the trailer, but I'd like to know myself, so I will get back to you on that one. This is my first polish job also, and I feel ( and many "pro's would tell you also, I think ), that largely the hours you put into it is pretty relative to what sort of person you are, the condition of the trailer, of course the size of the trailer and even the location. I live in a coastal environment which must be the worst possible for trying to keep an Airstream polished, hence the temporary cover, which according to some people is a no-no because of scratching. I don't disagree, but I am putting off the final polish untill the interior is finished so any marks can be addressed at that point, and it has made a huge difference to the time for the oxidation to return, compared to it being uncovered. I learnt the hard way. The end caps are quite deceiving, in that they look like the easy part in a way, in reality, I think they cover the most actual area of all, as a section to polish, on my trailer at least. Also I had stripped all the eyelids over the windows,vents, and the windows themselves to polish also so that will be included in my total may not apply to you. I really started enjoying the polishing when I found that I had " gotten over myself " to a point and let go of thinking how long it was going to take and how much polish I was going to use. It was easier to work on the basis of it taking as long as it was and realising that hopefully it would be a better job because of it. This whole Airstream thing has been a very steep learning curve for me but it has been made a whole lot more manageable due to the excellent and friendly support you can find on these forums, the people on here are amazing and so giving with their time and knowledge. Sorry this has turned into a long answer to a short question. It looks like you are making really good progress, ( better than me, when I was at your stage ), and the good thing about polishing, is the more you do initially, the easier it gets on a whole ( thankfully), the less time you have to spend on it and it makes you fit, so polishers are professional athletes in a sick kind of way! Yes the banana wrap will be polished, it is off because the trailer has undergone a body off, gound up rebuild, and there is a little more work to go on the underbelly which slides underneath the front panel so it will be a milestone when that goes back on. Again, I'll get back to you with the hours. You are doing great.
Pete
Old 02-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Dave, love your 72! can't wait to have the whole beast shinning like that. Did you paint the inset of the bottom rub rail the blue or is it some type of decal?
All of the blue on my exterior is hand painted.

Quote:
I'm curious from others out there have polished to a mirrorish shine, do you wax (your trailer, the rest I don't wanna know) or did you put some type of clearcoat on again.
I wax, trailer only.
Dave
Old 02-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Holy smoke! Mate, I just did a tally up, and you won't even want to know how many hours and pounds of polish have gone into my trailer so far. Might be best to let you know after you are a bit further down the track on yours before you get that one laid on you.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
lol I think I can handle it, I have a pretty good idea that at the rate I'm going I'll have a good (not spotless) polish job for around 175-200 hours, as the front end cap and now a small part of the road side in the first two grades took me about 35 hours and I still have below the rub rail too.

I have encountered on the roadside little lines, parrallel to the ground, about 1/4 inch apart, amost like rollers on skin down the side that seem to polish out but are a different texture from the rest, almost like wood grain? Too consistant to be branches etc rubbing the side, all very straight, couple inches a section. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow to hopefully better describe what I mean.