Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I can't see why the color of the micro-fiber towels would matter - other than with black, you can't see when they are dirty.
What Shari said.
I use the cosco cotton towels for the bulk of the work, then use their yellow microfiber towel for a final buff.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Well made progress on Saturday, getting the entire front end cap down to the rub rail polished with F7 and C, and did S around the lights and emblems so I could that all back on as forcasted it rained today. Bannana wrap will be coming off for dent removal before polishing. Think I'm going to tackle the rear end cap next then do the sides. Its not nearly as perfect as some I see on here, but the end cap has about 30 hours of work without the wrap. Only ordered the smallest jar of Nuvite, and pretty much ran myself out of the F7, so reordering for next weekend.

Here's a frew pictures... At least from these angles it looks like its done.. if only!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1509 (Small).JPG
Views:	112
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	55042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510 (Small).JPG
Views:	106
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	55043  

Name:	IMG_1513 (Small).JPG
Views:	121
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	55044  
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Looking pretty darn good!
Old 02-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Petethefeet, trailer looks awesome, how many hours you figure you have into the polish job? Are you polishing the bannana wrap or painting those?

Dave, love your 72! can't wait to have the whole beast shinning like that. Did you paint the inset of the bottom rub rail the blue or is it some type of decal?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Ooooo, now there's a scary question, I have been keeping my hours for the restoration as a whole, and indeed the polishing, putting off doing a tally up for fear of knowing how much time I had actually been ploughing into the trailer, but I'd like to know myself, so I will get back to you on that one. This is my first polish job also, and I feel ( and many "pro's would tell you also, I think ), that largely the hours you put into it is pretty relative to what sort of person you are, the condition of the trailer, of course the size of the trailer and even the location. I live in a coastal environment which must be the worst possible for trying to keep an Airstream polished, hence the temporary cover, which according to some people is a no-no because of scratching. I don't disagree, but I am putting off the final polish untill the interior is finished so any marks can be addressed at that point, and it has made a huge difference to the time for the oxidation to return, compared to it being uncovered. I learnt the hard way. The end caps are quite deceiving, in that they look like the easy part in a way, in reality, I think they cover the most actual area of all, as a section to polish, on my trailer at least. Also I had stripped all the eyelids over the windows,vents, and the windows themselves to polish also so that will be included in my total may not apply to you. I really started enjoying the polishing when I found that I had " gotten over myself " to a point and let go of thinking how long it was going to take and how much polish I was going to use. It was easier to work on the basis of it taking as long as it was and realising that hopefully it would be a better job because of it. This whole Airstream thing has been a very steep learning curve for me but it has been made a whole lot more manageable due to the excellent and friendly support you can find on these forums, the people on here are amazing and so giving with their time and knowledge. Sorry this has turned into a long answer to a short question. It looks like you are making really good progress, ( better than me, when I was at your stage ), and the good thing about polishing, is the more you do initially, the easier it gets on a whole ( thankfully), the less time you have to spend on it and it makes you fit, so polishers are professional athletes in a sick kind of way! Yes the banana wrap will be polished, it is off because the trailer has undergone a body off, gound up rebuild, and there is a little more work to go on the underbelly which slides underneath the front panel so it will be a milestone when that goes back on. Again, I'll get back to you with the hours. You are doing great.
Pete
Petethefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Dave, love your 72! can't wait to have the whole beast shinning like that. Did you paint the inset of the bottom rub rail the blue or is it some type of decal?
All of the blue on my exterior is hand painted.

Quote:
I'm curious from others out there have polished to a mirrorish shine, do you wax (your trailer, the rest I don't wanna know) or did you put some type of clearcoat on again.
I wax, trailer only.
Dave
Old 02-28-2008, 01:46 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Holy smoke! Mate, I just did a tally up, and you won't even want to know how many hours and pounds of polish have gone into my trailer so far. Might be best to let you know after you are a bit further down the track on yours before you get that one laid on you.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
lol I think I can handle it, I have a pretty good idea that at the rate I'm going I'll have a good (not spotless) polish job for around 175-200 hours, as the front end cap and now a small part of the road side in the first two grades took me about 35 hours and I still have below the rub rail too.

I have encountered on the roadside little lines, parrallel to the ground, about 1/4 inch apart, amost like rollers on skin down the side that seem to polish out but are a different texture from the rest, almost like wood grain? Too consistant to be branches etc rubbing the side, all very straight, couple inches a section. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow to hopefully better describe what I mean.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Yeah, I'm thinking I should be looking at buying shares in Nuvite to try and recoup some of my outgoings. I have some of those parallel scratches too, only they are less forgiving and wont polish out completely, I wondered if they were caused by screw heads or the like. I figure they just add to the character ultimately and are just part of the trailers life story. I look at myself and the scars I carry and really, the trailer is in better condition than me, and it is 5 years older!
Old 03-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Orlando , Florida
Hey guys I am a new polisher too. I have a question??? I am actually going to polish an Argosy and the aluminum is not perfect. There is some scratches on the metal (under the paint) was under the paint but I have Heavy Metal course polish but would I be better to wet sand them with some 1000 grit paper first or what would you reccomend? I don't want to work against myself but I have the time just not the money (hence, the polish and not repainting). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and you trailer looks awesome petethefeet. goodluck
basecmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Even with the F course nuvite polish (which isn't really that cheap either) I haven't had much of any luck removing any inperfections deep enough for a fingernail to catch the edge of. I'm sure someone more experienced might have a good idea. We finally got enough warm weather today (minus a brief rain storm) that I could polish again, managed to get about 1/3 of the street side, so now just behind the kitchen area above the wheel wells, then of course the rear end caps and about 2/3 of the curbside left, then next grade of polish....
Old 03-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Thumbs up

Dear Basecamp, I have heard of Argosy's being painted before, but there are a few things to consider before hand from what I have heard. Apparently, the end caps on the Argosy is made of galvanised steel as opposed to aluminum, so I would think there would be some colour difference where the steel finish vs. the ali. Also, because it is painted, it has the potential in its lifetime to have been bogged up or bondofilled and painted over, much like a car body, so you would need to be aware of that before you were to begin the stripping, polishing process. Rumour has it that cost wise, there is not that much in it between a professional paint job and a professional polish ( I realise you are working on it yourself but thought you might want to know). As far as the wet and dry paper goes ( and this point is debateable ),I have used it myself on stubborn places and worked it up to the surrounding areas where necessary, I think for me, the most important thing is trying to keep everything consistent as a whole. I've let go of trying to get every last scratch out of the skin, for me, as I have said before, they are just part of the story of the trailer, any thing really bad I have replaced. If you cannot hide it, emphasise it can also ring true in some cases. Good luck yourself and great to hear you are still progressing Goransons.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
update

been awhile since I've updated due to a busy work schedule and bad weather. I was working on the street side mostly, however ordered a zip dee awning from Inland so I figured I better get all the polishing done on the curb side first.

I'm still on the F cut stuff, and man-oh-man is it bad on the curb side lower half (its all like the bottom of the 3rd picture from about a foot above the middle seam down to the bottom). I've got over 40 hours of polishing on this side alone and nowhere close to being done (still have over the door, below the front side window, and the top of the door).

I'm 2/3 of the way back on the street side, which seems to have less of the pitting. I tried some rear end cap sections and it will go pretty fast. I'm convinced on our trailer at least the areas with the worst pitting were areas that had the clear coat that chipped due dirt and road grime etc. Almost like an aluminum road rash over the years.

Hoping to finish this side tomorrow and start on the rear end cap, but after 6 hours today my arms are jello....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1623 (Small).JPG
Views:	105
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	56693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1622 (Small).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	56694  

Name:	IMG_1620 (Small).JPG
Views:	111
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	56695   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1617 (Small).JPG
Views:	103
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	56696  

Old 03-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Orlando , Florida
Good luck it looks awesome! I guess hard work does pay off. I am getting ready to start on mine. Had to polish a little bit to show the wife the hidden beauty lurking beneath that grimey shell . She was impressed and might even help me... things are looking up!
basecmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Wow, it's looking great. I can see a lovely brick house in the shining reflection of your beautiful coach!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #36
mpc
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Bon Secour , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to mpc
thanks for the pictures and info. ive got to get my gear and material so i can start mine. yours has really put the getu and go in me. thanks!!!!!
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Polishers: I purchased 1 of the harbor freight 7" polisher/sanders, variable speed and have worn out 3 of the cheap ones, and one of the more expensive ones getting this far. The wool bonnets are under 2 bucks a piece at the store here so I've been tossing them as I wear them out instead of trying to clean them.

PROGRESS/WHAT WAX?

I had our new cyclo show up yesterday and put in 6 hours today with it and the quality of this tool over the cheap polishers is incredible, and a much more even product. I wish I had picked that up sooner, because I think it does a faster job, though the regular polisher (single head) does seem to cut deep pitting faster. I'm pretty much done with the curbside (awning is due here anyday). Anyway, what is the best wax I can get locally to protect this tomorrow after I finish the last pass of S?

thanks!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Looking good!

The Nuvite 'S' has a wax component to it...which is the 'last step' in polishing with Nuvite products. We've been using Glass Wax which is no longer available except on ebay - I bought several quarts when it was still available in stores. I've also seen that NuFinish works well and doesn't diminish the shine as some other waxes do.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
A beautiful job you are doing. Even when you are tired from the hours of polishing, you can relax and know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The reward will be the compliments you receive when you camp.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons
Polishers: I purchased 1 of the harbor freight 7" polisher/sanders, variable speed and have worn out 3 of the cheap ones, and one of the more expensive ones getting this far. The wool bonnets are under 2 bucks a piece at the store here so I've been tossing them as I wear them out instead of trying to clean them.

PROGRESS/WHAT WAX?

I had our new cyclo show up yesterday and put in 6 hours today with it and the quality of this tool over the cheap polishers is incredible, and a much more even product. I wish I had picked that up sooner, because I think it does a faster job, though the regular polisher (single head) does seem to cut deep pitting faster. I'm pretty much done with the curbside (awning is due here anyday). Anyway, what is the best wax I can get locally to protect this tomorrow after I finish the last pass of S?

thanks!
Just wondering, were you using the cheap polishers for ALL steps even up to final polishing? Is that what wore them out so quickly? I've read where some folks use the cheap ones only for the initial "cutting" stages, and then move to the Cyclo for the finish stages, and that seemed to prolong the life of the cheap polishers?

I've never done it so I can't comment, that's just what I remember reading from various posters here on the forum.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote