Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2003, 11:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Report: Southern Shine worked!

OK, first the disclaimers: I don't know TrailerTrash, I was skeptical, I don't have an axe to grind, I'm not paid by anyone to say this, etc... I'm just a guy interested in polishing my trailer but not interested in paying $100 per foot or a hundred hours of hard labor.

So with skepticism (but an open mind) I ordered a sample of the now-infamous "SS". It arrived today.

I took it to my badly wounded trailer, which is scarred from a brick wall encounter, glopped a little on a rag, and rubbed for perhaps 30 seconds. In other words, I completely disregarded TrailerTrash's advice on how to use it. I also didn't even bother to try to remove my clearcoat, which I believe exists but apparently is not very strong.

See picture for the result of my 30 seconds labor. Note that I polished right over a bunch of scratches (I'm going to replace this panel later anyway).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_1610.jpg
Views:	2234
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	2964  
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
And here's the close-up

This is the same spot, photographed with a close-up lens. Yes, those are my fingers and the lens of the camera.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dcp_1612.jpg
Views:	2193
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2965  
Old 09-05-2003, 11:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
And one last picture ..

I also tried a bit on my scratched door hinge. The top part was SS'd, the bottom is as it appeared 30 seconds earlier.

I think the world of polishing has changed, for the better. I'm going to polish my trailer !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dcp_1611.jpg
Views:	2181
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	2966  
Old 09-05-2003, 11:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

How do we order????????
Old 09-05-2003, 11:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
For now, you go to www.dnstoys.com and search for "Polish". It should come up and you can order it. This is a forum member making a limited supply available (2 bottles max.) while her supply lasts. It's expensive with shipping because the bottles are heavy. (I paid $11+ for one bottle with shipping.) Hopefully the community can work out a permanent supply method if it proves to be popular stuff.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:46 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm so glad to hear it worked for you! I haven't got out to try it yet (it's been too hot), but I'm hoping it will clean up the old shadows from the numbers on the front and back. Now I'm rarin' to go try!

I've still got quite a few bottles left. Just to clarify, TT is the one who's selling it, I'm just helping out by shipping it for him. I've seen the invoice and at $4 a bottle, he's selling it for less than it cost him, just so folks can try it out. He really does just want everyone to have a chance to give it a try. If it does work and people want more of it, my husband and I will look into selling it, but it will be closer to $9-10 a bottle.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Further details

I should clarify a few points.

First of all, SS is not a miracle polish. It is just another way. TrailerTrash espoused a method to polish using various grades of abrasive pads and a buffer, rather than a Cyclo and various grades of compound and polish. I didn't test his full method, but I plan to. What my quick test showed me was simply that the SS works well as polish even under poor circumstances.

Second, I don't know that the full method yields a better or worse overall result than the classic Cyclo method. TT says it is faster and it certainly looks like he's right. But further experience will help convince the community.

Third, I was polishing right through my clearcoat. This is not the recommended technique, but it did work for me. It takes longer because the SS has to cut through the clearcoat (all of 10-15 seconds of hand rubbing in my case). I can tell when the clearcoat is gone because I suddenly see the SS paste turn from green to black, indicating the removal of Aluminum Oxide.

I do like the fact that I can polish off the clearcoat, because none of the stripper alternatives was particularly appealing.

Using the crudest method like I just did does yield a nice shine in a few seconds. I can clearly see objects in the reflection. But I probably could have done the same with a bit of Nuvite. A really great shine would still require the process of working up through different grades of abrasives.

So, the process seems to be the most critical element of a fine polish -- not just the choice of Nuvite versus Southern Shine, or Cyclo versus buffer/grinder. The choice to go with SS is a matter of lower cost in time and materials, not because it is a better end result. As I said, more experience by the community will help us understand the relative pros and cons of the two methods.

-- RL
Old 09-05-2003, 02:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

RL,

Really appreciate your effort to objectively report on SS. Look forward to more posts on your polishing project.

I have just placed an order for two bottles to prepare for our wintertime project.

RES
54FlyingCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 02:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Yeah I agree that the SS is as much about the process of the pads as it is about the product. The grades of nuvite are doing the same thing as the grades of pads with the SS.

My observation on your results is that your aluminum is not in bad shape. The clear coat has protected it so once you got through the clear coat that had become cloudy, you got instant results.

I can guarantee that if you tried that on our 59 that never had clear coat the results would not be quite as dramatic.

That said the SS way makes perfect sense and I will be going that route it looks like. It does seem to be a faster process and the end result does seem to look as good as the Nuvite method. The price is more resonable. I would like to see a Nuvite and a SS coach parked side by side and then see what the coments are as to what one looks better. My bet is it will be a hard call.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 02:45 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
I think the technique is important too. Remember from other threads people have had a lot of different results from the speed of the pad, the angles, the speed they move over the skin. It sounds like some trial and error is involved however you choose to do it. I recall someone saying they tried the SS on their trailer by hand and didn't have good results. Perhaps that was a trailer without clearcoat.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Stephanie;
Received my SS today, thanks for the quick turn around.

I haven't tried it yet and it will be at least 2 weeks before I will have a chance to try it.
As for the $4 per bottle I think most were aware this was a one time only 2 per order.

Let us know when you get more SS since they tell me it takes 3 to do a 31 ft. If it performs half as good as TT claims it will be worth the $8 to $10 each.

For one I appericate you taking this project on.

THANKS

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:28 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
WHERE IS TT?

I attempted to PM him, and it was returned. His rivets are also gone.

I have a friend traveling down from the states soon, and is bringing, (smuggling), me 2 bottles, and wanted to ask about the pads and technique. 3m is readily available here.

I surely hope he was not banned after the fighting from the Windy City folk- especially since it now looks as if it was a total falsehood that he was attacked with.

Anyone know?
austreampete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:37 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Last I talked to him TT was travelling in Europe on business. He might not have regular access to the forum. In previous threads about the SS he discussed his technique. I would try and look up those, or maybe one of the guys he demonstrated it to firsthand could help.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:59 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
Thank you.

Its funny that his rivets are gone and the PM was returned with a message saying he was not accepting PMs at this time.

Hoping for the best. Cheers. Peter
austreampete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 05:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
so once you get that terrific shine, then what are you folks using to seal it so it stays shiny?
My MH is plasticoated so the SS would only be used by me to shine accessories (hinges,etc) that aren't coated. I amusing the 17 buck a can Liquid Glass treatment to coat over the cleaned clear coat as a sealer, so far it looks great, but I am going to give it the fall season test to see how it wil hold up.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 07:31 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

It'll hold up very well.....

I've been using LG, since it was first introduced to the marine folks back in 1980, on all my cars and trucks.

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 08:22 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

You need 2 different 3M pads. One is more course than the other. The course pad is 5701 and the fine is 5705. These are double sided and last longer than most stuff you get at Autozone, etc. You can also get the kind that go onto a backing plate, they have different part numbers. I also got the Super Buff Adapter ($8). It is a small extension that gives a little space away from the compounder, pads are pretty thick. I got mine at www.levineautoparts.com.
TBKP's Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 09:17 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Hi all,
This stuff sounds like exactly what I need. My trailer is in pretty good shape no major scratches and the like anywhere really.
How do I order it and from who again?? How much would it take to do a 22 footer? Then what do you seal it with?

Thanks and the "sample spots" look great!
stellablu
stellablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 02:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
a question for Oscar on the LG...how many coats do you use ( I am putting on 2) and how long dos this stuff last before it needs a redo? I used a great carnauba wax before, but the southern sun made me redo it about every few months on the roof area, and every 6 or so on the sides.
I am going to put it on my old Porsche after I finish the Airstream.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:14 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

ALANSD,

I usually use two coats and it will last all summer here in the desert SW, (no shade country). For the winter months I'll wash the truck and apply three coats around mid Sept., (apply LG, let it bake on in the sun for a day, apply another the next day, let it bake, and same for the third) this keeps it protected all winter well into spring when the weather is a bit nicer to wash and wax.

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote