Old 07-22-2004, 09:28 AM   #71
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
pictures, Pete, we want pictures.
I suppose the rubber gloves are a good idea but I just keep a bucket of soapy water nearby.
I am absolutely amazed at the amount of black stuff that comes off. What kind of polishing cloths are you using?

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:04 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
Cameras and I are enemies... Have to work on that one.

I was spending too much time digging it out of my nails- gloves were a great help.

I use a variety of cloths- a terry towel to remove stubborn residue when I'm in the first stage. Diapers and that flat smooth synthetic sponge from Spain when I worry about scratches, and finally 3M microfibre polishing clothes- Flitz also has a nice one.

BEST TRICK YET- I use common household flour- thats right- cheap, easy,safe- flour. Use it after the first stages to remove the heavy residue from the rivets and joints. Throw it on a rag, slap it up against the caravan, start wiping- you'll be amazed at how easy it comes off! That may solves Flyfishers issues. I'm totally a believer in the wet sand and SS movement- and I got a great shine in 3 days of working 6-8 hours a day. I have to go back and wet sand and re-polish the whole thing over again- I only wet sanded certain spots and its noticeable- I didn't think it would be. Not a big deal using this system... Cheers! Peter

Old 07-22-2004, 10:39 AM   #73
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I'm also using flour. It tends to bond the black goo and makes it easier to wipe off. I was hoping that wet sanding would not be a requirement but quickly discovered that it is a must. The old crates just are not gonna shine without some abrasion and Southern Shine is not very abrasive.
I'm almost of the opinion that the true secret of shining an AS is in the abrasive content of the polish. That's probably why the various grades of Nuvite/Rolite are so successful.
I did try a sample of Gord's polish and it worked as well as SS.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:09 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
This is what I learned- watching others as well-
If you take a grinder, and swirl/scallop/compound an abrasive polish into your surface- you just made yourself an insane amount of additional work.

Wet sanding in even horizontal strokes, as I'm sure you did, and then buffing with a decent fine rouge based liquid polish- or even rouge itself- will get you a great shine.

I see where the savings in time is- sand it, buff it, follow again with a softer pad-no swirls, no problems, no extra work! Its simple...

Making swirls is making work- avoid it like the plague! Cheers- Peter
Old 07-22-2004, 11:00 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Our time is soon...

Okay, I have read forum after forum and input and reply after another on this buffing thing and am really exhausted. BUT...I have concluded that we will start with the SS process. (I have just placed my order) However, after this evenings information overload, would someone mind, (please) giving me a straight forward simple step by step approach using SS or maybe just confirm that I have it right. (Although, I know after all my reading, there are MANY views on the topic.) The stripping and washing has been done. So now, does it work like this:
1: Fine (1200 to 1500 grit) sand on scratched areas using a horizontal method
2: Clean sanded area with mineral spirits
3: Buff with 3m buffing pads and SS

NOTE: are there different types of pads we need to use or is it just a "3m buffing pad"

We have a 9in low speed car buffer and a 2 speed car buffer. Which one should we use?
Old 07-24-2004, 04:58 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
Good day- There is a yahoo group with all the detailed info spelled out "vintagetrailer" is the name but I don't have the link in front of me...

You're on the right track, but I use a stronger buffer on a low setting. I have a Makita, but any brand should work. You need to start with white 3M Coarse wool pads, and after that the yellow 3M soft wool pads- they have numbers that go with them- maybe 5701 & 5705?

I spent half of 1 day sanding, the next 1.5 on the coarse pads, and the rest on the soft- which was much easier. I should've spent more time sanding and gotten it more even- I have to go back now and redo it- but its fast and easy, so I don't mind.

Good luck- Cheers! Peter
Old 07-24-2004, 10:51 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Thank you.

Thank you! I guess we will get started on the sanding process while we wait for the SS to come in.

Actually, I was suprised how shiny the Excella was under the clearcoat. It was the clearcoat that was making it look so bad. However, on close inspection, there are many brush-looking scratches. I hope this won't take too long, we have so many other things inside to do too.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:17 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

Tell me it's okay...

EEEekkkk. Sanding is scarrrryyy. Tell me it's okay. I sanded a spot with 1200 grit and the finish went from semi shiny to barely a reflection. The rest of the process will correct this? yes?
Old 07-24-2004, 07:37 PM   #79
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Did you dry sand, or wet sand?

The polish process needs to start with wet sand if the skin is scratched.

The other steps in the processes will get you to a mirror shine.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:29 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

Wet sand

Yes, I did a wet sand. I dont know, our skins are in pretty good shape, though. Maybe I just need to do the buffing part?
Old 07-25-2004, 09:12 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
I think a wet sanding with a very light- such as 1500-2000 grit paper is always a plus- even though you only have what sounds like mill marks- that brush look- it'll even out your skin nicely. Scratches require a deeper sanding- if you have none, don't bother. Also- run a test section with just SS on a 3M pad a
Old 07-28-2004, 06:26 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
okay....this all sounds wonderful...what is a fair price to pay someone to do this for me...i just want a better looking 1983 310 moho....but with 8 kids, and i just found out this morning another on the way...i don't have time to do this myself...i don't need perfect...i would be thrilled with anything better than it is....thanks
Old 07-30-2004, 12:44 PM   #83
Scott and Susan Mixon

SS needed!

STEF...this [below] from 9/2003. Do you still have any SS left? We have a '71 Airstream in desperate need of some help!

Quote:
I've still got quite a few bottles left. Just to clarify, TT is the one who's selling it, I'm just helping out by shipping it for him. I've seen the invoice and at $4 a bottle, he's selling it for less than it cost him, just so folks can try it out. He really does just want everyone to have a chance to give it a try. If it does work and people want more of it, my husband and I will look into selling it, but it will be closer to $9-10 a bottle.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:19 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
About FF's mess-

I was speaking with Mr Brown, the man who makes the SS, and he said that the cleanest way to use it, is to apply it and wipe it around by hand, and then buff it off.

TT's instructions, and I remember you were a guinea pig, said that he put it right on the pad, and hammered away at it. Brown agreed that it works well, but gets messy, especially if you use a lot. He suggested cutting down on the amount you apply to the pad and smearing it around with it off before spinning it, or use an applicator and wipe it on by hand and then buff after its set.

Hope it helps! Cheers. Peter.