Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2003, 08:24 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

What is LG? Liquid Gold - a wax?

Stellablu
stellablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 04:18 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

No, Liquid Glass is an automotive polish..

It comes in a one pint can.

It is NOT a wax, it is a polish. I will quote it's ingredients from the can:

Aliphatic hydrocarbons, amino polymers, ultra-violet sunscreen inhibitors, moisturizers, conditioners, rust inhibitors, mild inert cleaning agents, aliphatic petrolium solvents.

Before you ask, I DON"T KNOW! I do know it works great with minimal effort. Wipe it on, let it haze, wipe it off.

If you have any oxidation, a little rubbing will eliminate it to give a clean shined surface.

The more you apply, (giving the previous coat time to cure) the stronger it's characteristics.

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 04:21 PM   #23
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Some of my friends use Zoops on the polished parts of their rides.

www.zoopseal.com

I have not tried it myself, don't have enough polished stuff to substantiate the expense..
This product supposedly works very well.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:40 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Glad to see Southern Shine worked. I pulled up Southern Shine in Google and linked to www. daytonanow.net. They show a list of distributors for Southern Shine around the country or you can buy it directly from them. A couple of the distributors are out West.
delbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:13 PM   #25
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
I ordered some and looke forward

to trying it.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
More reports coming

I am shopping for an appropriate buffer/grinder and already have my 3M pads. I'll definitely post further updates on my experience with the overall process. At this point I hope to polish the trailer during late September/early October, when the weather here is usually ideal for outdoor work and there are no mosquitoes!

- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
anyone ever use Heller-Glanz metal polish??
I saw a site where they compared about 15 differnet metal polishes and that one rated way higher than anything else. Just curious.
I have used some of the other products on their list like Simmichrome, Meguir's, Wenol, Flitz, Mother's most rated quite a bit lower than the Heller-Glanz out of 1200 it got a 1075
outhern Shine was down around 350 if you can believe that. i have some Wenol right now, and it rated 450...seems to work well but is quite pricey at 5 bucks a small tube when you can even find it.
Check this out...

Boaters report on metal polish
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:35 PM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Interesting comparison, they seem to have placed quite a bit of weight on their metal polishes ability to clean paint, marble, and tile, things I don't really expect of a metal polish. Also, although SS came in with a score in the 300s, the second place finished with a score of 500, vs 1000+ for the Heller-Glanz. Such a large gap in the scoring makes it seem like it might be weighted towards the Heller-Glanz product, though I don't know why since the site doesn't seem to be affiliated with them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Since 99% of boats are made from fiberglass or wood the boat folks lean towards products that clean and polish boats.
Interestring comparson but ...........???

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:05 PM   #30
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Interesting that the chart on the test site says SS will not remove oxidation.
I got mine last week (thankx Steph!) and couldn't resist brealking all the rules .
Like rlulr I did a hand rub sample over several places on my trailer.I spent 2 months of weekends 6-8 months ago compounding with different rouges on a high speed drill and got about 1/3 rd of the trailer ready to do a final polish with the Cyclo and Nuvite.Problem was it wore me out and I wished I had never started! Anyway, the shine has been going backwards real fast -so I was anxious to try the SS.Net result was -I'm impressed! It DOES remove oxidation.I had an unpolished portion over the door where the clearcoat was long gone and there was a rainbow -like oxidation. I hit that with a dab on a rag and Voila-gone.
I tried several other areas and agree that the process is the important faqtor,but I'm now at least re-energized knowing I can see shine at the end of the tunnel!!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:50 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

This may be a repeat of what Creampuff just posted but I also just received my two bottle of SS and tried out this afternoon.

Did same thing and used a cloth rag with SS and cleaned a couple of small spots. Very impressed with results and ease of removing the oxidation. Amazed how much black stuff came off in such a small spot. And being able to see myself. Was really getting use to that vintage Airstream Patina.

Hard to understand why website that rated the polishes would show SS not removing oxidation.

Got my shopping list ready for trip to local Harbor Freight tomorrow. I think I may try hiring a school kid to hand polish first with SS to remove as much oxidation as possible than I'll finish up with the HF electric polisher/grinder and the 3M pads.
54FlyingCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:11 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

If it works use it

I use whatever works. My brother uses SS on his Honda Goldwing and it'll blind you. He gave me the last of a bottle to try and it saved me a lot of work.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:07 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Got mine today too......

Did like everyone else, test run with a terry cloth towel. I'm not just impressed, I'm sold. I will do before and after pic's to post plus frig replacement and curtains the wife did.

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Hey, Everyone
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto,...
I do'nt know what it was, but there was something I liked about T.T. from the start. I am glad he has been redeemed?
Also thank you Stephanie for taking on that project. Not only that but also for asking all the right things and being able to get the right responses. for things that I want to know, and you are miles ahead. Saved these digets a lot of walking.
Bob,
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Glad to help. Now if I can just find some buffing supplies locally I can get started on re-polishing mine.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:37 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

stefrobrts

The best source for buffing supplies I found locally was an automotive paint store. They were very helpful, knowledgeable and reasonably priced.
I got my order of SS last week - thanks Steph! You are doing us all a great service.
I too found that the SS delivers as promised and will make a dreaded job MUCH easier. I also got samples of the perfect polish and played with it. I think the SS is faster and of course, less expensive. The secret, as stated by others, is in using the correct 3M pads with a good quality polisher (mine is a Makita). I owe TT a dinner for all he has saved me!!! Thanks to all.
Windspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Thumbs down Not as impressed

SS did arrive quickly, but then that was via airmail. It does work, but then so did #7 automotive scratch remover. I'm not as sold on it as everyone else in the column is -- Sorry, but I'm not getting on this bandwagon!

I let the bottle stand for about 24 hrs. and it separated into an upper clear oil and a lower clumpy green paste. I know the instructions state the bottle must be shaken before using. Well, I shook it pretty darn good and it still came out clumpy. I smashed one of the clumps and the inside was white abrasive.

I used it on my trailer and it did give a pretty good shine to undamaged aluminum, but it didn't remove scratches very well. I used a heavy cut of Nuvite to do that.

So, I have some conclusions about it. It is messier as being in a liquid it tends to drip and splatter, resulting in some of it wasted. Being in a liquid suspension it is questionable how much abrasive you actually get to the bottle, so it's hard to say if it really is less expensive than a paste such as Nuvite. The clumping (which I admit may be due to cool weather) also makes it more difficult to apply uniformly. I'll probably use up the bottle, as it doesn't seem to do any harm, but I doubt I'll reorder any.

To each their own!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:16 AM   #38

1968 17' Caravel
Hi Forrest, Sorry to see it didn't work for you. Yes, the bottles do settle like that. You have to give them quite a good shake. There is a mixing ball inside and you will eventually hear it rattle. I have tried it by hand on my own trailer and thought it worked fine (shined up easier than the Mother's paste I had tried previously), no clumps. I wonder if you got a bad bottle of it? If anyone else finds a clumping problem, be sure to let us know and we'll talk to the guy who makes it and find out what's up with that.

We're hitting the road today for a long overdue vacation, be back in a week. Happy polishing until then!

Old 11-27-2003, 11:05 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Southern Shine Available

I too am a fan of the Southern Shine. I own a biz here in San Diego and ordered a couple of cases for various projects including my 1975 Excella. I will have 6 or 8 of the 32 ounce containers that I will sell to any Forum posters that desire it for my cost...(wholesale) plus shipping/packaging. It will save you a few dollars. I am expecting my shipment the week of 12/1.
Let me know if you have interest.
Best,
JB
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:57 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Southern Shine

Hi all;

So far I like what I have read about Southern Shine.
BUT I have not been able to get the MSDS (Material Safety Data ) sheets on it, and I don't know if it contains acid.

Life is like an Airstream, we always have the potential to shine.

Goyo
gsymes is offline   Reply With Quote