Old 09-06-2003, 06:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
so once you get that terrific shine, then what are you folks using to seal it so it stays shiny?
My MH is plasticoated so the SS would only be used by me to shine accessories (hinges,etc) that aren't coated. I amusing the 17 buck a can Liquid Glass treatment to coat over the cleaned clear coat as a sealer, so far it looks great, but I am going to give it the fall season test to see how it wil hold up.

Old 09-06-2003, 08:31 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

It'll hold up very well.....

I've been using LG, since it was first introduced to the marine folks back in 1980, on all my cars and trucks.

Oscar

Old 09-06-2003, 09:22 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

You need 2 different 3M pads. One is more course than the other. The course pad is 5701 and the fine is 5705. These are double sided and last longer than most stuff you get at Autozone, etc. You can also get the kind that go onto a backing plate, they have different part numbers. I also got the Super Buff Adapter ($8). It is a small extension that gives a little space away from the compounder, pads are pretty thick. I got mine at www.levineautoparts.com.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:17 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Hi all,
This stuff sounds like exactly what I need. My trailer is in pretty good shape no major scratches and the like anywhere really.
How do I order it and from who again?? How much would it take to do a 22 footer? Then what do you seal it with?

Thanks and the "sample spots" look great!
stellablu
Old 09-06-2003, 03:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
a question for Oscar on the LG...how many coats do you use ( I am putting on 2) and how long dos this stuff last before it needs a redo? I used a great carnauba wax before, but the southern sun made me redo it about every few months on the roof area, and every 6 or so on the sides.
I am going to put it on my old Porsche after I finish the Airstream.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:14 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

ALANSD,

I usually use two coats and it will last all summer here in the desert SW, (no shade country). For the winter months I'll wash the truck and apply three coats around mid Sept., (apply LG, let it bake on in the sun for a day, apply another the next day, let it bake, and same for the third) this keeps it protected all winter well into spring when the weather is a bit nicer to wash and wax.

Oscar
Old 09-07-2003, 09:24 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

What is LG? Liquid Gold - a wax?

Stellablu
Old 09-07-2003, 05:18 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

No, Liquid Glass is an automotive polish..

It comes in a one pint can.

It is NOT a wax, it is a polish. I will quote it's ingredients from the can:

Aliphatic hydrocarbons, amino polymers, ultra-violet sunscreen inhibitors, moisturizers, conditioners, rust inhibitors, mild inert cleaning agents, aliphatic petrolium solvents.

Before you ask, I DON"T KNOW! I do know it works great with minimal effort. Wipe it on, let it haze, wipe it off.

If you have any oxidation, a little rubbing will eliminate it to give a clean shined surface.

The more you apply, (giving the previous coat time to cure) the stronger it's characteristics.

Oscar
Old 09-07-2003, 05:21 PM   #23
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Some of my friends use Zoops on the polished parts of their rides.

www.zoopseal.com

I have not tried it myself, don't have enough polished stuff to substantiate the expense..
This product supposedly works very well.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:40 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Glad to see Southern Shine worked. I pulled up Southern Shine in Google and linked to www. daytonanow.net. They show a list of distributors for Southern Shine around the country or you can buy it directly from them. A couple of the distributors are out West.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:13 PM   #25
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
I ordered some and looke forward

to trying it.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
More reports coming

I am shopping for an appropriate buffer/grinder and already have my 3M pads. I'll definitely post further updates on my experience with the overall process. At this point I hope to polish the trailer during late September/early October, when the weather here is usually ideal for outdoor work and there are no mosquitoes!

- RL
Old 09-10-2003, 06:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
anyone ever use Heller-Glanz metal polish??
I saw a site where they compared about 15 differnet metal polishes and that one rated way higher than anything else. Just curious.
I have used some of the other products on their list like Simmichrome, Meguir's, Wenol, Flitz, Mother's most rated quite a bit lower than the Heller-Glanz out of 1200 it got a 1075
outhern Shine was down around 350 if you can believe that. i have some Wenol right now, and it rated 450...seems to work well but is quite pricey at 5 bucks a small tube when you can even find it.
Check this out...

Boaters report on metal polish
Old 09-10-2003, 06:35 PM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Interesting comparison, they seem to have placed quite a bit of weight on their metal polishes ability to clean paint, marble, and tile, things I don't really expect of a metal polish. Also, although SS came in with a score in the 300s, the second place finished with a score of 500, vs 1000+ for the Heller-Glanz. Such a large gap in the scoring makes it seem like it might be weighted towards the Heller-Glanz product, though I don't know why since the site doesn't seem to be affiliated with them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote