Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Bozeman , MT
Removing scratch - WIDE, LONG but shallow

Took the Bambi on one of those roads with no return (or turn around) and a branch on the side made a long, wide, shallow scratch that starts on the plastic front window and ends at the real headlight. OUCH! Yes, it was painful... I looked at past posts and there little information on how to remove a shallow scratch from an airstream. I imagine the plastic widow is destined to live with a scratch but what about the aluminum side? Isn't there a remedy?
marchesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I have carefully used a product called Scratch out and a soft buffing cloth afterwards with good results.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Look up 'Gravel in a bottle' by 3M it comes in large bottles at a good price...It is a no nonsense rubbing compound with dynamic grit ... enough grit to work the scratch out and polish back up with Mothers Mag polish...you'll see wait a minute and I'll go to the shop to see if there is a website...I know there is cause we ordered it online--ok it is 3M Automotive - Your source for automotive repair products for the automotive body and repair professional 3M US and the product no# is 05954 happy polishing, this stuff works great and you can't tell the scratch was even there to begin with. On the bottle it is titled 'Super Duty Rubbing Compound'.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
to late for you

Sorry about that scratch. As a precaution I always carry a set of loppers in my toolbox in the truck bed. If I encounter any...even questionable.... branches or bushes....I cut them off.
The key is if you have to say to yourself...."I think I can make it"....don't try it. The same applies to flying airplanes.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Had a similar scratch, I found this gave the best results. Works on plastic also. Be very careful not to go thru the clearcoat, go slow, check your progress often.

6" Machine Polish, Pad & Cloth Kit - Polishes - Polishing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

You can order just the polish without the pads...
Old 09-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
_

. , .
without photos it's really hard to comprehend the extent/severity of this issue, post pix.

just look at the help a photo thread received...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...tch-37735.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchesi View Post
...I looked at past posts and there little information on how to remove a shallow scratch from an airstream...
really?

aren't these posts n threads useful?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/199387-post3.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...hes-37325.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...oat-43110.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...ari-43845.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/504360-post11.html

that should be adequate but there are dozens more.

Quote:
... I imagine the plastic widow is destined to live with a scratch...
again withOUT pix it's all speculatin' but generally scratches in the rock guards can be buffed out, with the best results...

start with something simple like meg's plastix cleaner/polish, or novus plastic polish.

there are now KITS for headlight scratch removal that are VERY effective.

polish, several grades of abrasive and instructions on wet sanding are included.

google it.

Quote:
...what about the aluminum side? Isn't there a remedy?
depend on IF the scratch is THROUGH the clear coat OR INDENTED the skin.

technically scratches are not 'removed'.

-the edges can be smooth/rounded, polished down which make the scratch LESS visible.

-the divot can be FILLED with clearcoat, or other clear stuff that hardens, then polished smooth.

-oils/waxes and FILLERS can be applied that will temporarily improve the appearance, but will need reapplication.

-or one may COVER IT with a decal, vinyl graphic or some other appliqué ...

the process of improving minor scratches is no different than on auto paint, and directly related to the time, effort and skill of fixer...

IF into the metal the best fixes are major actions like skin replacement,

and simple fix options are fewer, the results LESS good and the technical skill all the more important...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote