Old 05-27-2002, 07:15 PM   #1
Question Removing Numbers and Decals

Does anyone know how to remove the numbers and circle decal that are on the front and rear of my '72 27ft overlander? I believe they are from the Walyy Club - we are not members and am not sure if I am ready to join. This is our 1st tin-twinkie and am getting an education on repairing what previous owners patched.

Phil Tribby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 07:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
Decal removal

Most body shop supply stores have a product made by 3M to soften and allow for easy decal removal. The decals are also easily removed with a hair dryer or heat gun. Lots of care and patience required, as painting and repair are expensive.

Visit Idaho The people are great
FrankR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 07:41 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
You can remove the decals by warming them with a hair dryer, if needed use a plastic scraper NOT a metal one then you can use wd40 to remove any residue if necessary. wd40 is waterbased so it shouldnt hurt your plasticoat.

If you do decide to join the WBCCI you can use the same numbers on your trailer if their not currently in use. That would be one reason to leave them on.

83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 07:49 PM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw
1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I have found that Johnson's Baby Oil and some old fashioned elbow grease does a nice job of removing leftover decal adhesive.
It worked well on my '60 Overlander.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 07:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
I removed decals from a 1960 A/S. Although I was able to remove the WBCC sticker and numbers, the glue apparently etched the surface. Never could get rid of the etching. Might have to refinish the area to remove etched area.
moporolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 07:39 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
WBCCI's official answer is to use a hair dryer. Keep us posted on your eventual solution.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 11:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Removing the numbers and decals should not be done with a hair drier. You can burn the plasticoat with it. Scraping the numbers will scratch the plasticoat.

The only tool you will need is a "steam iron." Take a wet rag, like a towel, place it over the number or decal, and place the steam iron on top of the wet towel, making sure that the towel stays wet. That will soften the numbers as well as the original adhesive. Then simply peel them off. Takes a little while, but does a great job, and causes no damage. I have been using this method for 36 years, and it has never failed.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 08:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
Removing Numbers and Decals

Thought I'd let you know about my apparent success at removing those old numbers from your "new" A/S. I've seen a lot of poor attempts in the parks and was hesitant to start.

I've got an '85 Excella that has seen a lot of sun. Initially, I used the single edge razor to remove the outer portion of the number. Looks like everyone has this one down. Keep the razor at about 10 degress to keep from cutting into the aluminum coating. Next I used "Goof Off," a product available in all of our large retail stores. Spread a lot on with a rag and then used the razor to get the large amount of the "goo" off. Used a rag with Good Off to get the residual off. Finally, I used some water to wipe the area to clean the residue.

Results is that I cannot see the numbers and the process did not effect the clear coat on my unit. Make sure that you test the process on your unit before mass application. Clear coat may vary or may have been touched up with another product.

Process may take you a while (an hour or so per cap) but it seems to work.
CO_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I removed an old american flag sticker with similiar method, but it did pull off the clear coat in that area, and left a ghost of the flag - which I actually like.. I cleaned the area and it looks like a polished american flag image now.
I do have a WBCCI round sticker on the nose I would like to remove, but I am worried it will leave a scar as well.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:03 PM   #10
1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
I like Zippo lighter fluid....
Never has so few. Done so much, With so little, That now we can do anything, With absolutly NOTHING!!!! AIR# 300
TheBigRedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
Whatever works

I had great success on the rear of the unit and good success on the front. Back, you cannot see the "image" of the numbers and the front there is a "shinny" image of the number. Getting the backing off the unit without hurting the clear coat is what makes it worth the while. Have a good one!
CO_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 10:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
New Borockton , Alabama
I had great success with a heat gun, goo-gone, and a plastic scraper (read fingernail). Some of the numbers just lifted right up, while others wanted to camp awhile longer. The liquid goo-gone is much better then the gel type. There is no quick removal process if the sun has had it's chance to bake them on. I have ghosting on my 68 and a tad on the 94 but neither hurt the clearcoat. The new letters will hide most of your work if you changing numbers and all of it if you are replacing them. A hair dryer will also work to soften the letters but takes a little longer.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
Removing Numbers and Decals

Hi all,
What can I clean the skin with after removing the old WBCCI numbers? There is an outline of what looks like crud and stickey stuff where they were. I'm going to polish soon but in the meantime I have to stick my numbers on. Going to a ralley!

hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:33 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
I read you can use kerosene to remove tar from Airstreams so it would probably work on the crud you are talking about. I use Coleman fuel on mine as it is a high grade kerosene.

Jerry Sullivan
'01 Limited
'01 Safari
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote