Old 08-11-2003, 02:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
I have found WD-40 to work wonders on those numbers as well as a number of other things including cleaning up Par-Bond and as a smoothing agent for Par-Bond ,just spray some on the tip of your finger then smooth it like you would silicone or other caulks.

71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:34 PM   #16
Texas Cajun :-)
1962 19' Globetrotter
WD-40 and / or lighter fluid works GREAT on getting sticky goo off almost any surface. Good Luck!

God Bless! Roze
Roze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:55 AM   #17
Still Working
1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina

The folks at the rally will probably understand if you did not have your numbers on the unit yet.

There are many folks that do not apply their WBCCI numbers to their unit.

I would wait until I polished the trailer and maybe even consider an alternative means of applying the numbers to something other than the polished skin of your unit.

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:13 AM   #18
Still Working
1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Something like this may work for you

No sticky red stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wbcci numbers forum 004.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	2618  
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Removing Numbers and Decals

I just noticed today one of our numbers from the po on the front is coming off. How can I get all of them off. I was going to wait until I polished in the fall but it kinda looks tacky with that one peeling off.
75 Sovereign (Peppy)
03 Chevy HD (lil Peppy)
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
wd-40 a plastic putty knife and careful use of a heatgun or hairdryer. It works. Also check to see if the same numbers are available and put the new ones directly over the old.
Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #21
. , .
hi becky

there are several threads on the issues of removing the numbers......lots of info and frustration.

what ultimately works may depend on how long they've been on, what version of the numbers/adhesive and so on......

since you are gonna polish, i'll assume your plasticoat is toast or toasting.....

i suggest getting a thick old towel or now microfiber cloth or cheese cloth and wetting it completely with wd-40, then just cover the area for a few peeking.

wd should soften and loosen if given enough contact time and kept wet....

if this fails try a can of 3m general purpose adhesive solvent......same process.

let us know what happens to the red numerals.....and if shadows or imprints are left in your aluminum.....

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Thanks for the tip. Yes 2air the clear coat there is toast. Already there are other number shadows there. I really dont ever plan on putting numbers back on unless I can talk my husband into some for next year since Perry is not to far from us.
75 Sovereign (Peppy)
03 Chevy HD (lil Peppy)
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Thumbs up Thanks to John and Inland Andy

The swoopy graphics on our 96 Excella were unable to survive a Michigan winter and began peeling. They were fine as long as the PO kept them in sunny Arizona during the cold season.

The steam iron with the wet washcloth worked great to remove the decals.

This left many areas of sticky glue, but the WD-40 and lots of paper towels made short work of it without affecting the clearcoat. Unfortunately, the places where the decals peeled back removed the clearcoat during the peeling process, so the aluminum is oxidized there. I guess the decal just yanked it off the surface as it came loose.

So, we have some "ghosts", but no, I am not going over to the polishing side of the force. Once you start with the cyclo and nuvite, there is no going back.....
Okemos, MI
T.V.:'05 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
1976 27' Overlander
Temple , Texas
Thumbs up Ghost Busting

At least two po's removed the numbers from my '76 27' Overlander so I have at least two layers of Ghost numbers on the front and the back. It looks less than pleasing. Any advice on a simple way to "bust the ghosts" without going through the whole polishing process?

Gig 'Em.
Dr. E
Dr. E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:25 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member
1963 19' Globetrotter
Gilmer , Texas
Decal Removal

Originally Posted by Phil Tribby
Does anyone know how to remove the numbers and circle decal that are on the front and rear of my '72 27ft overlander? I believe they are from the Walyy Club - we are not members and am not sure if I am ready to join. This is our 1st tin-twinkie and am getting an education on repairing what previous owners patched.
I tried just about every method mentioned to remove the numbers from my 61 Bambi with very little success. I tried a 2-3" round gum rubber wheel in my electric drill that paint and body supply stores sell for removing decals and pin striping from auto paint. Believe it or not, it took less than an hour to do both ends of the trailer. I do not believe that it would harm clear coat that is in good condition as it works well on auto paint.
Webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I might have to try that wheel, as no other method here has worked on mine. The bottom layer of the glue from the letters is rock hard after yrs in the sun. I soaked with wd 40 and used other ideas here. I am trying the lighter fluid thing next I need to light it ??? ( just kiddin) it might get it off then....
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member
1963 16' Bambi
Wells , Maine

Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Removing the numbers and decals should not be done with a hair drier. You can burn the plasticoat with it. Scraping the numbers will scratch the plasticoat.

The only tool you will need is a "steam iron." Take a wet rag, like a towel, place it over the number or decal, and place the steam iron on top of the wet towel, making sure that the towel stays wet. That will soften the numbers as well as the original adhesive. Then simply peel them off. Takes a little while, but does a great job, and causes no damage. I have been using this method for 36 years, and it has never failed. Andy
Does the 63 bambi have a plasticoat on the out side?
Bigtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I took Andy's advice and used a steam iron and a moist cloth to remove the decals. I got most of it off. I finished with a rub wheel and went slow and made an effort not to ruin my clear coat. I got the numbers off but you can still see the numbers on the coach. Two shades of color on the metal.

SIU Bound

Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote