Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Rotten Rick

1965 24' Tradewind
Keller , Texas
Removing exterior caulk

I have a 1965 Tradewind (24'). The previous owner went caulk happy on all the exterior seams. I found that plastic razor blades has helped get some of it off, but I need recommendations for a good solvent that can be used without damaging the skin for polishing. I was told to try "Dealer Sol", but can't find a distributor. Any suggestions?

Rick Neuman (Rotten Rick)
Email me at rick_neuman@msn.com.
RottenRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Silicone Caulk Remover - made by McKanica. It is offered on the Vintage Trailer Supply. www.vintagetrailersupply.com

Our 65 Safari was also covered with silicone caulk and it took us several days to get it all off.
Attached Images

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
Removing old sealant and caulk

You might consider contacting "The Yard Store" in Wichita, Kansas. Being an aircraft manufacturing town, Wichita produces a lot of aircraft surplus tools that can be purchased at the "Yard Store" ( an outlet for the old Beechcraft Company to sell surplus tools and materials). They sell a need little rotory bit, you can chuck into a drill, that will remove sealants and caulks of all types. It is made of a material that is not as hard as aluminum and will not scratch or mar the finish of your Airstream, while it cleans the sealant and caulk residue from seams and joints. Very Cool!!

Welcome To The Yard

Mike
Joebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
deasertman

1963 26' Overlander
1962 26' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
alamogordo , New Mexico
A little paint thinner will blister and bubble almost all silicone sealers. Apply a little to a old rag and let it set for a bet then wipe it off. Cheep easy, wear rubber gloves as paint thinner will also remove the oils from your hands. Napa also has a cheep remover, it will though remove paint use this for the stubborn spots. Good luck

Will
deasertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Nothing seems to be extremely easy but a heat gun, sharpened popsicle sticks (to avoid scratching the surface) and a little WD40 will generally do the job. When you are done, clean it all up with some mineral spirits..
It is working for me. I am working my way around the trailer and the above items are kind of a compilation of several different posts.
Hope it helps...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
St. Petersburg , Florida
This thread has been very helpful, but has anyone encountered along with old silicone or other soft caulk that gets old and shrinks, on my 62 Tradewind a former owner used a silver metallic type caulk that is very hard and rigid, looks like it went on nice an wet as the lines are not clean but reminds me of hardened mercury in its look...what the heck is it and how do I remove that? Not sure the "silicone" removers or softeners will even touch this...any thoughts? thanks so much!! Mary in Sunny and now cool and fabulous Florida!! C'mon on down everyone, Fort DeSoto Awaits you!! (:
Mary Burris is offline   Reply With Quote