Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Removing black roof coating

The AS I just obtained has been sitting for almost 10 years. The two POs coated the roof with that black roof coating, on top of white it looks like.

Any suggestions on getting it off?

Also, how strong is the roof as far as supporting a guy like me -- 235 lbs?
lessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Roof Coating

I have just finished removing a silver Grey roof coating on a 1990 34. The PO had it painted over the clear coat that was flaking. The clear coat was peeling so he scratched or scuffed the loose off with sandpaper. Now I'm having to compound the scratches out with Nuvite F7. He had painted the top panel and down as far as the tops of the windows. I've used Hydrostrip 502, a 2400 lbs pressure washer and plastic scratch pads and plastic putty knife to remove it. Depending on condition of yours, if any cracks or openings in that black coating a pressure washer might work. Caution, don't blow into the rivited seams, blow over and away from seams. I believe my coating was mobile home cool seal, very thick. I think I remember in grammar school we were taught that dark colors attract more heat than light. Why would any one use black paint??? I assume, for your sake, that yours in paint and not a tar base. Good luck removing it. I left the very top panel covered with the grey as it seemed in good shape. I may paint over it with white marine paint. I have a metal roof on part of my house and found if I use one of those antiskid perforated rug pads I can walk on it with some feeling that I won't slide off. I weigh 215 and feel secure if I stay on or close to the rivet line/ribs. CharlieE
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote