Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #1

1968 26' Overlander
Seattle , Washington
Removing a Painting? Help!

Hello!

I could use some advice. I have this '68 Overlander with a big painting on one side. I need to get it off. It's acrylic paint from an art shop over the side and windows. I'm not terribly experienced in these sorts of things so anything would be helpful! I'm terrified of damaging the thing. I have a pressure washer at my disposal if that'll come in handy. I may need to get some vinyl off as well, if anyone has experience there....

Needing to get this cleaned up and ready for a road trip in two weeks!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kodi
kodisir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Pressure washer is a big no-no. Enough pressure to separate the painting from the aluminum could cause leaks or worse, dent the aluminum.

If your unit has any clearcoat left then paint stripper will take off the picture and the clearcoat. If the clearcoat is in horrible shape, not a problem, right? Lots of folks here say to use aircraft stripper - which is really nasty stuff and toxic as hell - but effective. Follow the safety instructions religiously!

If the picture is a "vinyl wrap" that can be removed, but the longer it has been on, the more it has melded to the skin and the more the vinyl itself has degraded due to sunlight. Taking it off might be one square inch at a time project. Talk to a sign shop that makes vinyl signs as they may have some good ideas. Newer (six months or less/stored in a garage) vinyl can be pulled up by a corner and gently eased off in large sheets.

When the WBCCI numbers are put on a trailer and left on for any length of time, they leave a "ghost" even after the numbers AND all the "glue boogers" have been removed. The areas protected by the vinyl have a different hue from the areas exposed to direct sun.

If the picture, or big parts of it, are painted on, and the paint is peeling, start with plastic razor blades or plastic paint scrapers and work on the peeling areas. As a last resort - experiment with duct tape. Put a piece on in direct sunlight, go away for 4 to 24 hours, come back and pull the piece off. If the paint comes off.... buy 17 rolls of duct tape and use them one at a time.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

1968 26' Overlander
Seattle , Washington
Thanks!

If anyone has any recommended products that would be awesome.

I think I will have to remove some of the old decals from the 60's... any way to get rid of the "ghost" mentioned?
kodisir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodisir View Post
Thanks!

If anyone has any recommended products that would be awesome.

I think I will have to remove some of the old decals from the 60's... any way to get rid of the "ghost" mentioned?
"Aircraft Stripper" is a brand. May I suggest that you go to "SEARCH" and Google search "clearcoat removal." There are lots of threads.

As I understand it, the number ghost never completely goes away. Some folks join WBCCI and get the old number IF it is not still in use and hasn't been reissued. Others put their new numbers on to distract from the old. The ghosts will fade a bit over time if the A/S spends a lot of time in the sun.

Paula
Old 09-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Just me,,, and I could be incredibly wrong, but I would not put a razor blade to remove paint on an Airstream I want to polish.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Just me,,, and I could be incredibly wrong, but I would not put a razor blade to remove paint on an Airstream I want to polish.
Jay - there are PLASTIC razor blades ... kind of odd, but true.

Even pieces of plastic shrink wrap can be used in a similar fashion.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
mansfield , Ohio
I would try goof off 2 . It works on dried latex paint but won't effect the clear coat . Also rubbing alcohol will remove latex paint but not oil base ( clear coat ). You may have to experiment a little. I would NOT use any kind of scraper . It will scratch. I use one to try and remove some silicone from the po and it made a few scratches. If your going to strip and polish the whole trailer then they can be buffed out if they are not too deep.
teebs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
I am taking of peeling stripes with Goof Off and a hair dryer. Works great!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote