Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Removall stripper questions

In the near future I hope to get started stripping my trailer using the Napier remover but I have some questions about its use. My big concerns are will it harm the lenses of my lights and if I remove the the lenses what about any exposed wiring for the lights? Another concern I have is that I just replaced the window glass bead and seals with the new silicone material from Vintage Trailer Supply ( both excellent products in looks and ease of installation I must say) and I am concerned about damage to these from the remover should I get some on them either during application or removal when I wash it of. How can I best protect the things that might be harmed?
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
In the near future I hope to get started stripping my trailer using the Napier remover but I have some questions about its use. My big concerns are will it harm the lenses of my lights and if I remove the the lenses what about any exposed wiring for the lights? Another concern I have is that I just replaced the window glass bead and seals with the new silicone material from Vintage Trailer Supply ( both excellent products in looks and ease of installation I must say) and I am concerned about damage to these from the remover should I get some on them either during application or removal when I wash it of. How can I best protect the things that might be harmed?
It will craze plastic items. Silicon doesn't seem to be affected. I taped off my fantastic vent cover and it seemed to do fine. Rubber items like wire insulation also seemed to do fine. You could tape off the window glaze just to be on the safe side. I used that green 3M tape. Also, if you don't want to strip your wheels cover them too.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
so you should remove the lenses...and blue tape over anything not removeable? I have my order on its way.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
so you should remove the lenses...and blue tape over anything not removeable? I have my order on its way.
Definately remove the lenses. I didn't on mine, as a few were cracked and I planned to replace them all anyway. The stripper did start to melt the old plastic lenses as it worked on the clear coat, they disfigured and turned whiteish! I don't think it bothered the light bases, different plastic I guess. However, if you do remove the lenses and bases, (I had to cut the bases around the wire with nippers to remove the wire and connector as the hole in the base was too small to push it through) just get some duct tape and tape the wire over the hole to seal it up and keep the wire from getting lost in the wall.
Tape off any plastic you wish to keep, or cannot remove easily, the stripper will ruin it! --dave

BTW- DO get some good heavy duty chemical type rubber gloves, wear some eye protection, and be extra special careful. If the stripper comes in contact with your skin, you have about 10 seconds before it'll reduce you to a big crybaby as you frantically search for the hose to wash it off! (DAMHIKT) --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
you removed the bases too? Mine are so dull and funky I thought this would help clean them up.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
I didn't remove the light bases on mine until I was near finished polishing. However, mine were pretty funky as well. I just replaced all the running lights with new ones from vintage, and I got 2 4" red LED tail lights from Ebay for $25 or so. The old tail lights were so cloudy and dim... now they are clear and really bright. Hopefully it'll help prevent someone from crashing into the back end! --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
my plsn id to strip my Sovereign with Removall in the fall. Cooler weather of course. But I am so tired already of looking at the end curved panels where the clearcoat is spotty and nasty looking. Being the worst spots on the trailer.
So at 7am this morn while still 69 degrees out, I coated those areas with the stuff, and also on the entry door, where the aircraft stripper was used a bit, but was too nasty for me to continue using it.
So four or five hours from now I should have a nicer looking set of ends on one side anyway.
Got the VAP on my rio and the dog out watching. Not a bad start to the weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger aug06 001.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	24907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger aug06 002.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	24908  

AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
well after 4 hours the removall didn't touch the vinyl door covering much...just the paint over it. The clear coat on the outside is crazing pretty good, so I guess I will leave it on awhile longer and then get the pressure washer on a low setting.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 08-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
well after 4 hours the removall didn't touch the vinyl door covering much...just the paint over it. The clear coat on the outside is crazing pretty good, so I guess I will leave it on awhile longer and then get the pressure washer on a low setting.
Alan.

The vinyl covering on the interior aluminum, is heat bonded.

Stripper will take it off, but veeeeeery slowly.

Aircraft Stripper, seems to work better than most to remove the vinyl covering.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
yes, on the door the aircraft stuff peeled it right off. On the skin the removall did a nice job.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Gainesville , Georgia
Which Removal stripper should I use?

I'm just about to start the strip and polish on my 1985 Excella 34' and was wondering which Removall product to use. Is it the Removall 220?

Thanks,
Brian in Marietta GA
2manyhobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies
I'm just about to start the strip and polish on my 1985 Excella 34' and was wondering which Removall product to use. Is it the Removall 220?

Thanks,
Brian in Marietta GA
As I understand it, 220 is in fact what you want. I just ordered some myself. The first post mentions what to do with lenses and what not. If you go to vintagetrailersupplys website there is a pdf on the polishing process and product material sheets that address this point. Let us know how it works out. I hope to start striping this weekend or early next week- keep your fingers crossed

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote