Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
original color?

I'm wondering about the original colors on my emblems. The top one isn't so hard to figure out; left side was grey with blue "AIRSTREAM" writing, and the right was blue background with grey, I'm guessing. What about the bottom one, was it grey with blue words also?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emblems copy.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	35213  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes View Post
I'm wondering about the original colors on my emblems. The top one isn't so hard to figure out; left side was grey with blue "AIRSTREAM" writing, and the right was blue background with grey, I'm guessing. What about the bottom one, was it grey with blue words also?
Ingrid,

did you ever get the answer to this question. I have mine removed and am going to renovate them. I already face sanded them and they look MUCH better. I can see no trace of color ...all lettering looks faded black.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Name Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Ingrid,

did you ever get the answer to this question. I have mine removed and am going to renovate them. I already face sanded them and they look MUCH better. I can see no trace of color ...all lettering looks faded black.
SilverHoot, I don't know what Ingrid found out but... I think the gray discolored areas were originally bare aluminum with clearcoat on them as a sealer. The UV damage to the clearcoat has made it hazy and gray. At least that's how mine appear! So I would guess the answer is Silver (aluminum) background with blue lettering on the Tradewind emblem. Sanding them back to shiny aluminum with A/S blue letters and a sealer would look great! The mfg serial number plate on mine has lots of faded blue paint on the right side lower background with bare aluminum on the raised areas and bare aluminum on the left. Again this plate has blue on the recessed letters and numbers. Hope this is what everyone else has found to be standard for these plates. The one lower on the panel for the mobile homes mfg association is silver with recessed background black and the recessed lettering around the edges looks black too, all the raised letters appear silver. The wagon wheel has traces of red or brown and the rays/wings on each side of it appear to be yellow or gold. When I get to them that's what mine will be "restored" to. However I don't know if this was all original, it seems like too much color on that RVIA badge. But then to each his own. Perhaps someone has more research on that badge. I hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
SilverHoot, I don't know what Ingrid found out but... I think the gray discolored areas were originally bare aluminum with clearcoat on them as a sealer. The UV damage to the clearcoat has made it hazy and gray. At least that's how mine appear! So I would guess the answer is Silver (aluminum) background with blue lettering on the Tradewind emblem. Sanding them back to shiny aluminum with A/S blue letters and a sealer would look great! The mfg serial number plate on mine has lots of faded blue paint on the right side lower background with bare aluminum on the raised areas and bare aluminum on the left. Again this plate has blue on the recessed letters and numbers. Hope this is what everyone else has found to be standard for these plates. The one lower on the panel for the mobile homes mfg association is silver with recessed background black and the recessed lettering around the edges looks black too, all the raised letters appear silver. The wagon wheel has traces of red or brown and the rays/wings on each side of it appear to be yellow or gold. When I get to them that's what mine will be "restored" to. However I don't know if this was all original, it seems like too much color on that RVIA badge. But then to each his own. Perhaps someone has more research on that badge. I hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
Ed,

Thanks for your reply, like you I may just do what I like since mine is a renovation and not a restoration project. I'll post my results.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hey everyone, I thought I had posted this a few days ago, but I found out that the recessed letters AND the ones in relief are white. I emailed VTS and also looked at the emblems they carry (VERY nice) and the lettering on stickers, emblems, etc. are white. The rest, yummy shiny aluminum, or that Rustoleum blue spray paint that matches perfectly. (Spray some of the paint into a little container and use a brush)

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote