Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Random orbital instead of Cyclo?

Trying to get that perfect mirror finish without the swirl marks, but I really don't want to invest in a Cyclo. What is the next best thing? I tried my orbital polisher with both a foam pad and wool using Nuvite S polish. Got interesting results. The swirls came out, but the foam pad did some minor marring and the wool pad left the finish cloudy. So, I'm thinking the orbital would give me great results if I just use the correct pad. Thoughts?

adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Save yourself some time and headache and invest in the Cyclo. Check ebay, etc. for used. Many have tried what you are and most with less than perfect results. After all, that perfect mirror finish you want does take a great deal of effort. Having the wrong equipment only impedes your results. JMO.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
What he said...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
what she said he said...
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I got my Cycle used. Its an awesome piece of gear. You can always sell it when you are polished.....but u won't.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I tried both....go for the Cyclo.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Everybody has their own way, but I've had success with my Porter Cable 9424 random orbital, and Rob Baker's notorious truck box polish, as discussed by Geven on Jordan's thread here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-17197-54.html

Check out post #752 for some pics of Geven's trailer and some details on his methods, and check out post# 762 below for some pictures of the finished product on one of Jordan's trailers, it's pretty stunning.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-17197-55.html

All in all, this method works well for me, it's quick, and you actually stay pretty clean so it's easy to work in a little polishing time after work or early in the morning without having to take a shower immediately. In a few places I've had to use my Makita buffer/compounder, wool pads, and Nuvite F7 for heavier cutting, but overall the Porter Cable and Diamond Brite truck box polish are good, clean, and quick. I believe one key is the cotton bonnets, I bought a bunch from Geven and I'm not sure where he sourced them.

This is what I got with only 17 hours total spent on my own trailer (covering about 80% of the surface area, I didn't do the top streetside, or curbside above the awning rail). It was a nice shine at 10 feet, though there is still oxidation and pitting around the trailer.

I did take a couple detailed shots of the front lower panel that features the Airstream nameplates and badging. Here's the before:

I removed the badges and cleaned up the small, oval MHMA badge a little bit. Almost two years ago, I had purchased a replacement Airstream nameplate, and I finally had the opportunity to install it.

My results weren't quite as dramatic as Geven's and Jordan's, but I didn't spend much time at all on it. One Saturday, and then a handful of 1-hour slots here and there in the evenings.

As always, tthere are a lot of ways to do something. I chose a method that worked well for me.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Everybody has their own way, but I've had success with my Porter Cable 9424 random orbital, and Rob Baker's notorious truck box polish, as discussed by Geven on Jordan's thread here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-17197-54.html

Check out post #752 for some pics of Geven's trailer and some details on his methods, and check out post# 762 below for some pictures of the finished product on one of Jordan's trailers, it's pretty stunning.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-17197-55.html

All in all, this method works well for me, it's quick, and you actually stay pretty clean so it's easy to work in a little polishing time after work or early in the morning without having to take a shower immediately. In a few places I've had to use my Makita buffer/compounder, wool pads, and Nuvite F7 for heavier cutting, but overall the Porter Cable and Diamond Brite truck box polish are good, clean, and quick. I believe one key is the cotton bonnets, I bought a bunch from Geven and I'm not sure where he sourced them.

This is what I got with only 17 hours total spent on my own trailer (covering about 80% of the surface area, I didn't do the top streetside, or curbside above the awning rail). It was a nice shine at 10 feet, though there is still oxidation and pitting around the trailer.

I did take a couple detailed shots of the front lower panel that features the Airstream nameplates and badging. Here's the before:

I removed the badges and cleaned up the small, oval MHMA badge a little bit. Almost two years ago, I had purchased a replacement Airstream nameplate, and I finally had the opportunity to install it.

My results weren't quite as dramatic as Geven's and Jordan's, but I didn't spend much time at all on it. One Saturday, and then a handful of 1-hour slots here and there in the evenings.

As always, tthere are a lot of ways to do something. I chose a method that worked well for me.

Good luck!
-Marcus

Thanks for the info. I will check out these posts. I too am a believer there are more than one way to do something correctly.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #9

How do I contact Jordan and Gavin.