Old 09-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
I don't think that's the same trailer in both photos. In the lower photo, the upper side running lights are missing along with whatever that is just forward of the window in the upper photo. In any event, I hope its not.
Here's the opposite side, before and after. It is, unfortunately, the same trailer:

Old 09-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #16
Silver Lizzard

2015 28' Flying Cloud
1969 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
Is it possible that what we see in the bottom image is the reflection of all the junk/equipment, etc that is directly behind the photographer?

It would be reasonable that the folks doing the polish job would remove everything they could prior to compounding the surface. That would account for clearence lights and such being removed.

It would be helpful to take another picture at exactly the same position as the first photo so a reasonable judgement could be made as to how bad the trailer was trashed.

If indeed the surface was seriously damaged, the clowns that did the "work" need to find some lubracant to assist in the owner of the trailer placing same where the sun don't shine.

Then maybe they will "reflect" on what they did.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I think you could be right. The back two panels look nice and straight in this photo. The warped and indented panels could be do to reflection and then the polishers would have to be congratulated for doing such an amazing high reflection buffing job.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
Same trailer???

I could be wrong....ask my wife she knows first hand.... but I would bet those are not the same trailer...end panels don't match from the top trsiler to the bottom pic.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Wouldn't Anodizing give it a gold finish?
It does on aircraft aluminum.😐
I think the gold colored aluminum to which you refer has been subjected to dichromate dip, variously known as Alodyne, Alumiprep, or just generically, "chemical film". This is a thin oxide coating which helps retard corrosion and takes paint well.

Anodizing refers to an aluminum treatment in which a thick oxide film is built up by making the aluminum the anode in an electrochemical reaction. After the oxide film has been established it is sealed in boiling water which can contain a dye of any desired color.

I would hate to try to polish an Anodized aluminum trailer. Bear in mind that aluminum oxide is commonly used as an abrasive, so it is very hard and tough!

Once I needed to have the anodized surface removed from an aluminum plate in order to make solid electrical connections to the surface. (The fabricator had anodized it where the drawing had called for chem film. And aluminum oxide is an electrical insulator!) We stuck it the plate in the Bridgeport milling machine and tried to mill .005" of the surface and it promptly took the edge off the tool! We put in a new tool and set the depth of cut to .010" to get under the oxide layer. The oxide layer actually crumbled off, much like the hard crust of an iron casting when the tool is set to run deep enough. I have a lot of respect for the hardness of an Anodized film!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
brandon , South Dakota
I would paint it Airstream silver. Those highly polished trailers look nice, but are a hazard on the road. Why would I want to pull a mirror behind my truck and blind everyone else on the road?
Old 09-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

almena , Wisconsin
Too hot!!!

Yep!!! That's exactly what happened!!! I worked with a guy that used high pressure hot water to remove paint from aircraft. 176 degrees was his optimum working temperature. Anything more than that would risk warping the skin. He would use stick-on thermometers in the working area to monitor the heat.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Someone screwed up a really nice Streamline. No ifs, ands, or buts.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #23
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Question: Have the polishers trashed this trailer?

The polishing itself sucks, and some metal damage may have resulted from trying to polish the trailer, but a lot of the damage that shows in the polished picture was already present.

The angle of the first picture and the dullness of the finish camouflaged a lot of the dents and waves.

The angle of the two pictures is not the same, neither is the direction of the trailer.

Unfortunately, polishing dents and waves does not make them less noticeable but more noticeable.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #24
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If that was my trailer I would paint it, but not silver,,,,

I would paint it in a cool retro style two tone......

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Antonio , Texas
Polishing

They overheated the panels trying to remove the anodize, thus the panels are warped and probably will not be repairable (without replacement), I think you should have researched more, prior to starting.

R. Webb FAA A&P, CAA(UK)AEC4
78 AVION 28J (anodized)
Old 09-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph12 View Post
They overheated the panels trying to remove the anodize, thus the panels are warped and probably will not be repairable (without replacement), I think you should have researched more, prior to starting.

R. Webb FAA A&P, CAA(UK)AEC4
78 AVION 28J (anodized)
It isn't the OP's Airstream, he was considering taking his to the same place when he discovered this photo of their work.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
It also looks to me that the worker is using the wrong sort of tool for the job.
Probably a bit high speed to be able to manage the heat.

Cheers Richard