Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Protective cover for...

We are moving into hail season (hope not) and I dread the day we get pounded. I will even go as far as to move the house under something for protection...But has anyone ever made a covering shroud for an airstream- one that you would throw over and un furl, and have enough padding to resist the bounce of a hail stone? It's funny but not, because a short while back we had a percent of hail forcast and I ran across the street to ACE and bought a HUGE tarp. and we wrapped it while the wind was blowing like crazy- but we did it, But that was my first panicky moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4146.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	99792   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4164.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	99793  

Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I woke up Monday to heavy rain and then..... Hail! It was pea size but some areas very close had walnut to golf ball sized hail! As I looked out at my poor toaster getting blasted I looked at my car cover and wondered if I could cover the top. Hail stopped and I told myself it's insured and it's just a thing. I don't think I convinced myself yet but it was worth a try. I did find a suitible safe place to store her so we will hope for the best.
Nice cover for short term use but it will scratch the heck out of you AS if left on long term. When I was delayed at DIA I noticed American airlines still don't paint their planes and everything was shinny except around the door where the walkway cover bumps up against the door. Very dull and scratched.

Here's to surviving hail season!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
That did happen, the wind moved the tarp around enough for one day to rub litttle patterns of buffed places here and there. It would also be nice to build a 'standing roof'-whatever that is called. I even checked out other quick coverings like indoor outdoor turf. we have an upholsterer next door and was looking at some of his vinyl materials, and am thinking about getting a estimate from him....I know THAT material comes in huge rolls as big as carpet. Being a do-it-yourselfer I would just purchace a very large single piece of his stuff and use that. But I swear I will never ever use that blue tarp stuff again!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
That did happen, the wind moved the tarp around enough for one day to rub litttle patterns of buffed places here and there. It would also be nice to build a 'standing roof'-whatever that is called. I even checked out other quick coverings like indoor outdoor turf. we have an upholsterer next door and was looking at some of his vinyl materials, and am thinking about getting a estimate from him....I know THAT material comes in huge rolls as big as carpet. Being a do-it-yourselfer I would just purchace a very large single piece of his stuff and use that. But I swear I will never ever use that blue tarp stuff again!
I have found that what causes the many marks and scratches, and I can see it in your picture is that 1) the tarp is not thick enough, 2) you only have it tied down by the loops. I have our 77 that is for sale sitting in my yard, it is covered with a 10 mil tarp 50X30, after placing the tarp over the trailer I took 3/4 in pvc pipe I had in the garage and ran it down each side of the tarp, rolled the pipe up in the tarp for 2 turns under put holes thru every 12 in and tied, this way I had tie down every 12 inch this allowed me to spread out the pull over the entire length to prevent ripping, the pvc pipe then secured with bunjie cords with a little more than 1/2 tension on the cord (almost enough tension to tear the tarp then back off, the tie down on the ends are with cloth clothes line and tied in X pattern. I then wrapped with the same type of cloths line starting where the end cap comes around on the side and went around and around (over top & under bottom) the full lenght of the trailer every 2-3 feet. Each end of the rope had a sinch loop and a bunjee cord to maintain tension. I have not had any movement from storms or wind off the mountain, there is some moisture from hot & cold but not as much as one would expect, this is taken care of by every 2 weeks loosen and wipe with a towel.
I now plan on getting some 3/4 pvc in 20 ft lengths and joining together then bend in an arc to fit over the camper where is not touching, with T's as spacers. Buy a Tarp like we use on Flat bes since they are padded and anti moisture for cover, this will keep it off the trailer and provide protection.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
When we launched that blue tarp- the wind was howling and we looked like a giant superman cape from the distance blowing upwards all over the place---it was funny but we could only do the best for what time was left. I will never do that again and hopfully will be out of this area before that ever happens...we also found a large covered area just up the street we can pull to in case it happens again. (we get an 'E' for EFFORT)