Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Protect Awning while stipping clearcoat

How do I protect my awning material from Aircraft Stripper while stripping?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
How do I protect my awning material from Aircraft Stripper while stripping?
Your only 100 percent assurance, is to remove the awning.

If you leave it in place, that stripper will find it.

Andy

Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Thanks Andy,What is the way to untension the awning before removal?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I would think you could more easily remove the entire awning assembly (without changing tension...didn't say what kind of awning you have..), but I was sent these instructions below by a very wise man a while back...the instructions cover how to remove awning fabric when it tears, get it fixed, then replace the fab, which includes de-tensioning and re-tensioning....be VERRRRY CAREFUL with the tension and springs as they carry LETHAL FORCE, or at least blinding/dismembering force...

ead the entire procedure AT LEAST twice!!!

1. extend the awning, but leave the rafter arms fully compressed.
2. immobilize the torsion spring. if you look at the end cap (left side facing the awning), you will see 2 little holes in the cap. there is a corresponding channel in the end of the torsion spring, and you need to push a long nail or other piece if 'hard metal or wire' thru the hole until it comes out the other side. this will immobilize the torsion. hardened piano wire will also do. it should be as large as the hole to accept the large forces on the roller spring. you might have to roll the roller tube slightly in one direction or the other to access the inner channel.
3. remove the bolt holding the end of the roller to the rafter arm.
4. remove the rafter arm from the roller tube fitting. it is best here to allow the roller to rest on a ladder of appropriate height
5. attach a large vise grip pliers to the end fitting, rotate it slighly clockwise and remove the retaining pin. MAINTAIN THE GRIP ON THE PLIERS HERE!!!
6. CAREFULLY unwind (counter clockwise) the torsion spring until all of the tension is out of the spring. count the # of turns it takes to completely unwind it
7. repeat steps 3 & 4 on the right side of the roller
8. if there are no channels visible in the end caps that will allow you to slide out the fabric, you need to drill out the rivets holding the cap on to the roller tube and remove them
9. carefully slide the roller off the fabric. it will now be loose and hanging at the side of the trailer
10. the fabric at the top awning rail should be secured by a screw on either end of the awning rail, at the top. remove these screws, and the fabric should slide right out of the awning rail. do not touch the awning rail, as it is to be left in place.
11. have the awning fabric repaired at your favorite canvas shop. they should have the poly rope and will insert it into the new pocket that they sew into the top of the fabric.
12. before you re-insert the fabric into the awning rail, you should do 2 things. 'A' insert a screwdriver into the end of the awning rail and force the ends apart to allow a slightly larger channel to feed the fabric into. 'B' spray the entire channel with a dry lube like DuPont Teflon Multi-purpose lube (Lowes)
13. insert the fabric and center it in the awning rail
14. remove the torsion spring, wire brush it and liberally coat it with Boeshield T-9 before re-inserting it into the roller tube
15. do back to step and work backwards

re-tensioning the torsion spring is just as trickey as de-tensioning it. I need the overall length to give you the # of winds, or you can just re-wind in the # of turns that you un-wound it in step 6.

PS: you wind the torsion clockwise.

That's it!

Have fun
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
Thanks Andy,What is the way to untension the awning before removal?
What brand awning?

Andy
Old 03-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
And don`t put the awning back on until you have finished you polishing job,I ended up with the black crud on mine .Andy suggested good lacquer thinner,nope it didn`t work,looks like new awning fabric. Dave
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
...be VERRRRY CAREFUL with the tension and springs as they carry LETHAL FORCE, or at least blinding/dismembering force...
The words quoted above above cannot be overstated no matter what brand of awning is installed.

A word of caution...If you're not experienced working with torsion springs you may want to have someone else remove the awning for you or solicit the help of a friend who is. Torsion springs are can be very dangerous.

It looks like you have a Zipdee awning.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
It is a Zip Dee and I think I will enlist the help of a nearby Airstreamer.
If I'm in the hospital I won't make it to the Restoration Rally this Summer!
Thanks for the info!Steve