Old 04-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
1960 Caravel
Bend , Oregon
Porter Cable 7424 for finish polishing. Need suggestions. Pads, polish, etc.

I'm polishing a highly oxidized 1949 Spartanette. I use 3M Superduty and a heavy wool pad on a variable speed 90 degree rotary buffer. I've used Nuvite too but the 3M is faster in my opinion and does a good job compounding when the skin is really pitted and oxidized. (at least on Spartans anyway. My Airstream was way easier to polish.) I've put off buying a Cyclo and when I decided it was time I decided to try the Porter Cable 7424XP random orbital polisher for several reasons. It came with a very firm foam buffing pad that's glued on to the hard backing plate. I just ordered a flexible hook and loop backing plate so I can use this machine for more than one thing and also experiment with different pads. I know quite a few folks have opted for the PC instead of the cyclo and I'm hearing good reports using foam pads vs. terry or fleece. I tried mine with the foam pad it came with and terry cloth over the pad using Nuvite S after compounding. It didn't do much.. I then tried the Nuvite S with just the foam pad. The polish worked in evenly and I was able to reduce it to a cloudy residue then I put a terry cloth over the pad and it cleaned right up. Swirl marks are completely gone but the finish is still pretty cloudy. I guess I'll try the PC/foam with Nuvite C. Just curious what other folks have found to be the best pad for the PC. Now that I'll have a hook and loop back plate I'll have a lot of options. Thanks.

ST131 is offline   Reply With Quote