Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
palm springs , California
pool acid to strip trailer?

Hey guys
Has anybody used pool acid to strip your trailer...We had an automotive guy tell us to put some in a spray bottle with water and just do section by section...he says it gets everything off...Removeall didn't work that well on ours...Whadda ya think?
happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
It works great on my fiberglass boat, but I don't think I would use it on a trailer.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Corrosion...

While pool guy might be correct for cleaning small sheet of aluminum, and with proper rinse and neutralizing of muriatic acid, any molecules of acid remaining on an Airstream around a joint or rivet head would be the starting point for corrosion... That corrosion would happily eat away at the skin leaving shiny metal replaced by white powder...

Even though mild acids are used to treat aluminum skins as part of anodizing processes, and other treatments, I wouldn't risk it... There are aircraft paint removers that will remove the surface coatings better and more safely...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
palm springs , California
do you know what kind of aircraft paint removers to get? and where? I guess the acid is not working
happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Use the "search" tab..

If you type "aircraft paint stripper" into search tab above, you'll find a series of threads on the subject... Several of the brands mentioned there include "Kleen-Strip Aircraft stripper" and "Removall 220 Paint Remover". There are also suggestoins to contact Vintage Trailer Supply or professional paint stores for suggestions..

Do beware that any stripper is going to attack plastics or other soft parts, so they should be removed/covered-taped over before applying stripper. You should also have plan for flushing away residues in envirnmentally acceptable manner as part of process, since they are messy...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaze
do you know what kind of aircraft paint removers to get? and where?
I've always found "Aicraft Paint Stripper" (Yes, it's branded as such) at Wal-Marts near the automotive spray paint section. It works well on the Airstream clearcote.
Nick
Old 07-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
Pool Acid!!!

Tell the guy that told you to use pool acid that it completely stripped the skin off the trailer!!! This is fine if you want lots of ventilation and a skeleton.
That's almost as bad as pissing on an old American mag wheel!
Good aircraft paint stripper should work fine or go to a place that sells automotive paints and get some stripper designed to remove basecoat-clearcoat finishes. I did my old 86 T bird with the stuff and it was slick.
took only 20 minutes to strip the whole top, trunk lid and hood.

Terry
Haoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Pool Acid

As I recall, muriatic acid (HCl http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid) was promoted by Hot Rod and other car mags for removing rust from steel bodywork and cast iron parts. I don't think anyone then (or now) reccomends using it on al.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaze
Hey guys
Has anybody used pool acid to strip your trailer...We had an automotive guy tell us to put some in a spray bottle with water and just do section by section...he says it gets everything off...Removeall didn't work that well on ours...Whadda ya think?
If you want to ruin your trailer, put acid on it.

Putting acid on the shell will also create water leaks around almost "every" rivet.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote