Old 07-10-2016, 12:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Polishing without a cyclo?

Hello all, my first post here. I'm slowly restoring a 1971 29 foot Airstream and am trying to save money where I can. I am not necessarily going for a mirror like finish on the polish, but I do want a pretty shine. Here is my question and what I've done so far.

So far I have removed the clearcoat, and I have begun using a brown tripoli rouge bar with a purple zephyr wheel on some of the heavier oxidation/pitted areas.

I am now wanting to start using some Nuvite with a compound polisher (I really would prefer not to have to purchase a cyclo). Will it look terrible if I use a compound polisher for say F7 followed by C followed by S?

Old 07-10-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
For the final cut use Diamond Brite Truck Box Polish with a inexpensive orbital car polisher. I tried this the last time I polished and it cut the swirls so I could not see them. I think there is a wax component to the polish (water seems to bead more) that does the trick. You can find it a Lowe's near the truck boxes.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbikes View Post
For the final cut use Diamond Brite Truck Box Polish with a inexpensive orbital car polisher. I tried this the last time I polished and it cut the swirls so I could not see them. I think there is a wax component to the polish (water seems to bead more) that does the trick. You can find it a Lowe's near the truck boxes.
Thanks! Do I still need to purchase the Nuvite grade S?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I'm just finishing F7 with the compound polisher. From reading here and on the internet, using a compound polisher with a wool pad will leave swirl marks no matter what the grade you use.

The cyclo is the only way to not have swirls. Perfect Polish says you can cyclo with F7 as a final step which is what I'll try today. I'll try finer grades in the winter when it cools down.

I didn't want to buy a cyclo eithe but if you want a swirl free finish you need to. Amazon Prime with 6 months to pay made it sting less.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
I'm just finishing F7 with the compound polisher. From reading here and on the internet, using a compound polisher with a wool pad will leave swirl marks no matter what the grade you use.

The cyclo is the only way to not have swirls. Perfect Polish says you can cyclo with F7 as a final step which is what I'll try today. I'll try finer grades in the winter when it cools down.

I didn't want to buy a cyclo eithe but if you want a swirl free finish you need to. Amazon Prime with 6 months to pay made it sting less.
How much F7 have you gone through with your compounder? Do you mind posting a picture of what it looks like right now? And then one after you use the cyclo with F7?
Old 07-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted my trailer to look like before I made the commitment to polish. I didn't want to go broke or spend the rest of my life polishing and I didn't want a trailer so perfectly shiny I was afraid to use it.

I stripped the failing clear coat and did a pass with The grey bar, then took a year off. This spring I did a pass with white diamond and a rotary polished. It's far from perfect but looks great from 20'. Got several complements over the CB on the last trip.

If you want a perfect mirror finish you have to use a cyclo. But if your not striving for perfection you can get a great shine with a basic polisher.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1468168267.998124.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	266375
This pic was taken on Thursday.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted my trailer to look like before I made the commitment to polish. I didn't want to go broke or spend the rest of my life polishing and I didn't want a trailer so perfectly shiny I was afraid to use it.

I stripped the failing clear coat and did a pass with The grey bar, then took a year off. This spring I did a pass with white diamond and a rotary polished. It's far from perfect but looks great from 20'. Got several complements over the CB on the last trip.

If you want a perfect mirror finish you have to use a cyclo. But if your not striving for perfection you can get a great shine with a basic polisher.
Attachment 266375
This pic was taken on Thursday.
AldeanFan..... so far I've used the brown bar with a purple wheel, then I followed it up by using an orbital buffer with some turtle wax brown compound, then turtle wax green wax, then mother's aluminum polish. I was pleasantly surprised and very happy with the shine that I got EXCEPT for one thing. The brown bar/purple wheel left scratches in the aluminum that the buffer just did not do anything about smoothing out. Should I use Nuvite Grade C after the brown bar?
Old 07-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Polishing without a cyclo?

You need something between the bar/wheel and the polisher. Nuvite C should work but since you have the mothers aluminum polish I would try that with a polishing pad or bonnet on your rotary polisher. Then use the orbital polisher to shine it up. An orbital polisher won't remove scratches no matter what compound you use.

Also I don't think you gain anything using the green turtle wax before the polish.

When I use mothers I polish the whole trailer then wash the black residue off with soap and water. You can't use water with other polishes or compounds.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida

Sounds to me that you are wanting something I was able to accomplish with a minimal amount of labor. !st, I stripped the clear coat where necessary with an off the shelf paint stripper and a good plastic scraper (no scratch) from Lowe's. Mineral spirits to remove access stripping, then with all of the clear coat removed, I was ready for polishing. I used a product blended here in Venice FL. It is called TRT Aluminum polish available in various quantities, Qt, Gal. Easy on easy on polish is holding up so far 18-20 months, I love it! Good luck with your en devour. No super shine here!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Indian Wells , California
Hard to pick up scratches on a camera. You can see the scratches on the corner panel. The lower half is F7 with the compound polisher, the upper half with the cycle. The center panel also has F7 compound scratches. I probably should have picked a location on the trailer that doesn't get so beat up from the road.

I had to do my whole trailer with F9 because I had so much corrosion. I think I used 3 pounds. Now I'm on to F7. I bought 1 pound and I'll have about half left when I do the whole trailer. I also have C and S and I'll probably use about 1/2 pound of each.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Indian Wells , California
Here's another location. It looks pretty good now but I need to pull it into the sun. That's the real test.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCA View Post
Here's another location. It looks pretty good now but I need to pull it into the sun. That's the real test.

That looks great, and that's just with F9 followed up with F7?

Did the F9 leave any small scratches on your trailer? The brown rouge bar is getting the pits out slowly but surely, but it's leaving little scratches everywhere.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
On my trailer, the curb side has pits, mostly at the back. I gave up trying to get those out.

The rest of the trailer has small dots of corrosion. I had to do many passes with F9 on a 10" cotton wheel then I compounded with F9 on a wool pad, then compounded F7 on a wool pad and then F7 on the cyclo.

In the winter I may continue with the C on the wool pad and then cyclo with S.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:27 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
When it comes to polishing, there are many ways to go. Cyclo does the best job, but you can produce a great shine using the method I suggested to 2.7 who wanted a way to do it without buying a Cyclo. The method I suggested will get him many "how you get it so shinny" comments and will look good.

2.7, you do not need to buy the S. What I did is use F9, F7 or F6 or the F6 that turns to C, and C with the final cut done with Diamond Brite. The number of cuts at each stage depends on the condition of the trailer. There is a correlation between the number of cuts and the resulting finished shine. For the best results you would use multiple cuts with every F compound stepping all the way down to S using a Cyclo with S at the end. My trailer has so many things to spend money and time on that I experimented to get the fastest, least expensive way to a good shine.