Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
polishing with Mothers aluminum polish

In case anyone is interested I just finished polishing on the airstream, and posted some pics of both inside, and out on a members photo page at
http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...mageuser=15121

The polishing was done with a cylo using the yellow, blue, and white pads. The only polish I used was Mothers aluminum polish. I then followed that with a coating of liquid glass, and plan on adding another coat this week. Prior to this I did a high speed strip last year, and had the blue stripe painted. I may decide to add the smaller blue decal over it if I find one. The finish isn't quite as nice as some of the ones I've seen using 3M products, but I don't think it's too far off. With the finish being different on the 81 versus the older trailers I don't know how far I could go with it. I have about 15 hours in the process this year, and will pick up a couple more with the second coat of LG. That's it for this year, time to go camping.
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Looks great Charlie!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

I agree...it looks sharp!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado

In all fairness I did have my 15 year old son help a lot as well. He doesn't know what he wants to do when he grows up, but he can cross vintage trailer restoration off his list.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
looks pretty shiny!! is the ice off the lake yet?

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
looks pretty shiny!! is the ice off the lake yet?
The ice clock fell through on Lake Dillon about 2 weeks ago, and it's fully melted now. What I consider the best campground on the lake is closed for the season for Pine beetle tree removal, but that still leaves 3 open.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
White pads for second/third cut

Sorry to drag up such an old post, but you mentioned that use used the blue and white pads on the cyclo for polishing. I wanted to know how you used the white pads on the last cut VS fleece cloth. What was your process?

Did you just use the white foam pad until it was filled with black polish, then wash and cycle in the next set?
Old 11-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Sorry to drag up such an old post, but you mentioned that use used the blue and white pads on the cyclo for polishing. I wanted to know how you used the white pads on the last cut VS fleece cloth. What was your process?

Did you just use the white foam pad until it was filled with black polish, then wash and cycle in the next set?
You need to have a lot of extra pads. I do have the yellow cotton pads but they're really rough so I would stick to the foam pads. Yellow to start if it's oxidized then blue or green then the off white and finally white. You'll no you're finished when it pleases you. I now only use the white for cleaning or to apply my liquid glass sealer. The off white pad will bring up your final shine.
The earlier stages will blacken your yellow pads quicker and the pads seem to go farther between changes in the final stages. How many passes you'll need to make varies a great deal with how bad it is. I now rarely bring out the yellow pads and polish only every other year. A full polish with the green pads using mothers followed by another polish with the off white pads, then a cleaning using liquid glass cleaner with the white pads and finally applying the liquid glass with a cloth then bringing it to a shine with the white pads and I'm finished. I've never liked the result of cloth for polishing, it can easily create swirls that are hard to get out.
Another good way to start on tough areas is to use Eagle polishing wool before starting with the cyclo. It will quickly turn a panel black but keep working with it past that point and it will remove a lot of oxidation. Then just wash it off with a soapy cloth, dry and move on.
I clean my pads in a bucket with soapy water then run them through the washing machine and if I have time I let them air dry. They don't work well if they're wet.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Nags Head , North Carolina
Does anyone use a sealant after polishing? I assume it would be an extensive project requiring spray equipment. Would paste wax help?
Jeff K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Jeff,

People have reported using liquid glass, shark hide protective coating, other have had a auto clear coat applied.

Others just re polish every year.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:11 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Nags Head , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Jeff,

People have reported using liquid glass, shark hide protective coating, other have had a auto clear coat applied.

Others just re polish every year.

Thank you!
Jeff K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #12
CoachEd

1976 31' Sovereign
1973 Argosy 22
Ocean Isle Beach , North Carolina
Tell me about the "high speed strip". We just bought a 1976 Land Yacht Sovereign and it is in need of stripping of the old clear coat. Thanks!
dkernc is offline   Reply With Quote