Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Polishing... When or what stage do you use the Tempro to seal around windows

We just started polishing 1967 Overlander...with 1967 Corning windows and have a question. When or what stage do you use the Tempro to seal the top of the outside windows? We have it outside without a building over it and do not want rain to enter and I did remove the old product/caulking from that area....We are wondering if we even need to apply Tempro at all up there? Thanks everyone in advance.
Stage 1) Using Nuvite G9 or 6
Stage 2) Nuvite c
Stage 3) Nuvite s
Shawnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Any sealing should be done after all polishing, unless the sealant is covered or within the seam. Reason is the polish and sealant chemically react with each other and your left with a grew buttery mess...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
mineral , Virginia
Get ALL caulking off before polishing!

Yes indeed! Trying to polish with any caulking left on, created a real mess! Using plastic putty knives and aircraft stripper made my caulking removal process easy.
Mrhany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would use Parbond after polishing and wipe off any wax residue with alcohol or some other solvent to remove the wax so the sealant will stick.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I have polished 3 trailers & sealed up 4. I prefer Tempro for my sealer, because Parbond tends to get brittle after several years. If you have leaks, seal it now. If not, polish & then seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Walnut Creek , California
I'm in the middle of polishing and have removed the Vulkem from above my windows and some of the dry Parbond from the seams. I'm going to do mine in the following order:

1) Nuvite F7 (Compounder)
2) Nuvite C (Compounder)

Tape off and seal the seams with Parbond. Seal around the vents and windows with TremPro 635, then:

3) Nuvite S (Cyclo)

I'll try to post some photos. Right now I'm ~50 hours in and the difference stunning.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
I have a '67 Ambassador & would love to see where I should seal around my windows with Trempro 635.
Does anyone know of a tutorial with pics I could read?
Thank you,
Jerry
streamslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Tempro 635 is pretty thick for sealing around windows...doesn't flow very well. You might want to consider Parbond instead. Comes in an aluminum color...flows really nicely. You can buy syringes to apply it with, but I find the plungers on the syringes to be a little difficult to get a constant flow. I just use my hands to squeeze the tube consistently (hard on the hands...but works).
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Let me piggy back this thread and clarify the order of seal & polish

Seems the common advice is to polish first, then seal. And if I understand correctly,the reasoning is that the seam seal materials interacts with the polishing compounds, the buffers then pulls the goo out of the seam, and the end result is mess and frustration.

I am doing a shell off, almost all interior panels & insulation are out, I have replaced a dented side panel & broken vent. My priority has been to get the exterior skin water tight before freeze-up. Last night we had a good rain, and I was putting buckets here and there, before I just put a tarp over it an went to bed!!!

My new panel is sealed, but I have not yet tested all the original panels & windows individually.

I probably have 4 weeks before overnight freezing temps end the opportunity to work with caulks for the year. I am easily a year (or 2) away from getting on the road. It seems wildly out of line to spend a week polishing the skin at this point of the project just so I can seal it and repolish before we get on the road. If the seam sealing material is properly cured does it still interfere with polishing (next year or the year after !!!)?

P.S any good threads on sealing seams & windows ?
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote