Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2008, 06:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
persistence and perseverance. This task will not be instant gratification by any means. Stick with and it will eventually become the surface you are looking for... Be glad too that you have a short trailer, I have 26 feet to deal with.
31 feet and 350 hours....that's AFTER removing the clear coat......
and absolutely worth it!!

TBTU (time between touch up) seems to be about six to eight months when stored under a 'Stream-Port in the East Texas Piney Woods.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Dennis, What a B E A U T I F U L trailer. I'm sure your neighbors don't complain about what is in your driveway.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Polishing Begins - Looking for the Ben Gay

Click image for larger version

Name:	as1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	66168
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
???

Cyclo=random orbit??
Old 08-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I found and bought a cyclo. After looking hard locally I got a nice slightly used one with a bunch of extras.
So question for you cyclo users... anyone using another polish beside Nuvite with theirs? How does it do with the Toolbox polish for example?
I am excited to get to use this great tool. It will be nice on my older 911 all well.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the cyclo can be used with any polish. The tool box stuff only cleans the surface and does not get deep into the pores. Nuvite is the best and polishes deeply. I highly recommend you not waste your time with the bargain polishes. The cyclo is not so good at removing the oxidation. That is best done with a compounder and wool bonnets.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Gotcha. Tool Box is no bargain at 12 bucks a bottle, but I see your point. I am buying some Nuvite . I used Liquid Glass at 20 bucks a can, for a long time to maintain the finish after clearcoat removal on my Classic Moho, it worked well.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have tried them all... Nuvite works the best. I promise.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #30
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I did side by side test with Nuvite v Metalwax, the guy that used the Nuvite couldn't believe it himself.

Metalwax was a higher gloss shine.

Others looking at both test areas agreed metal wax won hands down

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #31
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
It is a matter of what works for you. In my totally non scientific test, I found the Nuvite worked best over the long haul. Please prove me wrong and show me something else works, I am very open to learning. I am just a Nuvite guy at present.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Goleta , California
In the months following my initial post, I persisted as recommended by 62OVERLANDER racking up many more hours of polishing. The shadowing that I saw earlier was eliminated after a total of 10 or 12 passes on the more oxidized surfaces using the Makita polisher and Nuvite F7 and C. The Bambi has spent most of its lifetime near the California coast which likely accounts for the heavy oxidation. I am estimating a total of around 100 hours to complete the rotary polishing to my satisfaction and that's for a 16 footer.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread
walwalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I am still really confused about this polishing issue. We have a 65 Ambassador-28 feet long. Some-about 1/3 of the clear coat is worn away. Neither of us are physically capable of polishing her. We have been quoted $1,500 from someone who works out of their home-we have seen his work. We were told by another person that unless a clear coat was put on it would return to the before state in less than 5 months. Who do you believe. I am sure I could wax it but every month?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

If you do the math on that $1,500.00 strip and polish job it probably is not realistic. It should take between 100 and 200 hours just for the polishing of a 28footer to do it well. That's 2-1/2 to 5 weeks of full 8 hour days for $1,500.00. Just a financial observation here.
Then again, if they do a good job for you would you pleeeeease post their contact info here. My arms are killing me!
Thanks, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 AM   #35
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Since my last post to this thread I have purchase a new product... Jestco Products Buffing Supply - Airstream Polishing Kit #799S - Size 1 (Powered by CubeCart) I have not given it a go, but it has been highly recommended by a few people. I am also on the search for an Airmark drum polisher. So far I have not found one for less than $1300. The 5 months to tarnish is not true at all. It will remain shiny for a lot longer without any care at all. I would jump all over a price of $1500. My only question would be do you prefer $100, $50, or $20's
Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just a few thoughts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwalla View Post
I have been polishing my 1961 Bambi for many laborious hours following the recommended polishing technique as I understand it. Except for the isometric workout, the return per hour so far has been disappointing. The trailer was heavily oxidized, it having spent a fair amount of time near the beach in California. It was last clearcoated about 20 years ago but was garaged for a portion of that time.

After removing the clearcoat, I used a Makita polisher with Nuvite F7 and C, making five or six passes using F7 and C on every square foot of the trailer. I discovered, after some time, that the recommended fingerprint of polish on every 3 inch square was inadequate. Instead, I had to put enough polish down so that I could thinly cover the surface with polish using my fingers to spread the polish around in order to get a more uniform shine. Not doing this resulted in shiny streaks with unpolished areas around the streak. I am still not fully satisfied with the results using more polish. What looks like a well-polished area in bright light, shows blotchy, dark shadows under low light conditions. These dark areas are apparently areas that are still slightly oxidized. They are a headache to remove because they are difficult to see in regular lighting and will require many more passes with the polisher. The trailer is now semi-unsightly, exhibiting polisher swirl marks and non-uniform shininess. Is this problem commonplace, just requiring a lot of additional polishing (Ughh) or could the method I am using be improved upon? Also, does removal of polisher marks require a Cyclo polisher?
You have gotten some very excellent pointers..
Additionally..Several things to consider...
Don't overdo the amount of Nuvite F7 paste (whichever you use) dabs that you lay down. All you really need is something abt half the size of an MM candy laid out in a square. Prepare an area of no larger than what you plan to work up.. The Makita's pads will need to be changed out frequently as well. You will find that you need quite a few on hand so they can be change out as they become filled with black oxides guck. I always had a bucket filled with cleaning water near by to start the soaking process and, wash everything at the end of the day.(in order to have it ready for use the next)..
Also, watch your air temp..You don't want to be working in too hot of temp and, certainly don't work in the direct sunlight~! The opposite is also true..Don't try to work in too cool of temp..I doubt you would have that problem there in Ca..
You need to PRACTICE and, practice on a piece of scrap Alumnium to prefect your technique, it sounds to me..Don't be afraid to do that..What you need to learn is to "watch the metal" as it talks to you..You'll understand what I mean when it happens to you..
Remember, it is never done overnight~!! it will take alot of hard..efforts
YES, in the end..You will need a Cyclo polisher~There's just nothing that's better for a mirror finish result..
Good luck,,
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Goleta , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
I am still really confused about this polishing issue. We have a 65 Ambassador-28 feet long. Some-about 1/3 of the clear coat is worn away. Neither of us are physically capable of polishing her. We have been quoted $1,500 from someone who works out of their home-we have seen his work. We were told by another person that unless a clear coat was put on it would return to the before state in less than 5 months. Who do you believe. I am sure I could wax it but every month?
I don't plan to clearcoat my Bambi. I have used Mother's Carnauba Cleaner Wax and it appears to be durable in the Coastal California winter climate. Four to five months after application, the rain still beads up on the surface and the shine continues to look good.
walwalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I am also on the search for an Airmark drum polisher. So far I have not found one for less than $1300.
Recently at the Texas Vintage Airstream Rally we watched Pat McDowell do some quick, impressive polishing using similar bar buffing compounds and several loose cotton buffing wheels stacked against each other on a VS angle polisher to form somewhat of a drum polisher. I think he had made his own adapter. Seemed very effective and a lot cheaper than a drum polisher.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote