Old 08-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I have some "S" on hand, but have not seen it make any difference over the way I am currently doing it.
From our experience, "S" is really only a "final coat" almost like a wax. It really isn't intended to cut the finish as "C" or "F7" do, just bring out the final shine on the finish that's already there, much like a true jewelers rouge does to gold.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, misery loves company because I now feel much better about my efforts over the past two weekends polishing my '67 Globetrotter. I, too, had read the posts discussing 2 passes with F7 and was starting to wonder what I was doing wrong. I spent more than 4 hours polishing one portion of a smaller rear panel and even then it didn't look great. It was passable but not finished. I extrapolated that experience and estimated that at that rate I would spend about 100 hours for the entire trailer. Luckily, the higher panels go faster for some reason. Using a compounding bar seemed to speed things a bit this weekend and I have some G6 on order. Nevertheless, it is a slow process. On the plus side, I'm finding that I really enjoy polishing and that's saying something because it's been very hot in Houston. In fact today I decided to stop when the polish started smoking or steaming when I applied it to an upper panel.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I have a similar problem w/ my 63 GT. I polished it last year w/G6 & cyclo'd ww/ S and in certain light it has light brownish splotchy haze.I have tried polishing w/ C still no luck.Is the alum. "burned beyond repair? The owner of Vintage Trailer told me that it should be able to be buffed out, but I have had no luck..........
Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Goleta , California
Scorched Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I have a similar problem w/ my 63 GT. I polished it last year w/G6 & cyclo'd ww/ S and in certain light it has light brownish splotchy haze.I have tried polishing w/ C still no luck.Is the alum. "burned beyond repair? The owner of Vintage Trailer told me that it should be able to be buffed out, but I have had no luck..........
The brownish splotches on my my 61 Bambi are not scorched aluminum. They disappear with more compounding. If you look at the splotches closely in the right light you can see the hazy film that I believe is remaining oxidation. You may need to go to the coarser F7 as 62overlander described.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I also think it's left over oxidation.

You really have to buff ALOT to burn through the Alclad aluminum and when you do, you know it. It gets bigger when you polish more, it doesn't go away. We have a small spot (1"x1-1/2") on our '64 where we went through on a access door that had a deep scratch in it and thought if we buffed long enough it would go away. Not. I've tried photographing it to no avail...but it is not a haze, it is more like a puddle - consistently discolored - not splotchy at all. And it is a redish-brown color opposed to the greyish-brown of oxidation.

The key with compounding is to keep your compounder speed very slow and let the polish do the work. Also move around in a consistent pattern - up & down over a section then left to right. We will also squirt water on an area with a squirt bottle when we are polishing it to keep the temps down. But if your speed is slow, the polish "cuts" into the oxidation...if your speed is too fast or you use too much polish, the buff just slides on the skin instead of cutting into it.

One telltale sign that there is still oxidation there is to look at the section a couple of days later...if the splotchiness "shows up", it means its already started re-oxidizing which happens faster where old oxidation still remains.

Unless you are aggressively sanding, using super fast speeds on your buffer or really leaning into the tool while polishing, it's pretty doubtful you've gone through the metal or burned it. You really have to work hard to go through it. Try another pass ~ see what happens, my guess is it'll go away more with each pass. We had sections that took 4, 5 or 6 passes with "C" before all the oxidation was gone - each panel was slightly different.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
persistence and perseverance. This task will not be instant gratification by any means. Stick with and it will eventually become the surface you are looking for. Another thing I wanted to add, buy the best quality bonnets and compounds. There is so much time involved in this that cutting corners is not worth it in the long run. Be glad too that you have a short trailer, I have 26 feet to deal with.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
persistence and perseverance. This task will not be instant gratification by any means. Stick with and it will eventually become the surface you are looking for... Be glad too that you have a short trailer, I have 26 feet to deal with.
31 feet and 350 hours....that's AFTER removing the clear coat......
and absolutely worth it!!

TBTU (time between touch up) seems to be about six to eight months when stored under a 'Stream-Port in the East Texas Piney Woods.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Dennis, What a B E A U T I F U L trailer. I'm sure your neighbors don't complain about what is in your driveway.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Polishing Begins - Looking for the Ben Gay

Click image for larger version

Name:	as1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	66168
Old 08-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
???

Cyclo=random orbit??

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes
Old 08-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I found and bought a cyclo. After looking hard locally I got a nice slightly used one with a bunch of extras.
So question for you cyclo users... anyone using another polish beside Nuvite with theirs? How does it do with the Toolbox polish for example?
I am excited to get to use this great tool. It will be nice on my older 911 all well.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the cyclo can be used with any polish. The tool box stuff only cleans the surface and does not get deep into the pores. Nuvite is the best and polishes deeply. I highly recommend you not waste your time with the bargain polishes. The cyclo is not so good at removing the oxidation. That is best done with a compounder and wool bonnets.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Gotcha. Tool Box is no bargain at 12 bucks a bottle, but I see your point. I am buying some Nuvite . I used Liquid Glass at 20 bucks a can, for a long time to maintain the finish after clearcoat removal on my Classic Moho, it worked well.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote