Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2002, 04:25 PM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Polishing tips?

I've just purchased a 1960 26' Land Yacht Overlander and am starting the restoration process. I've never polished an Airstream and will appreciate any advice or tips on proper chemicals and procedure.
I'm sure this topic has been much discussed in the forums but I'm brand new to this site. Thanks.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 05:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Welcome

First, welcome to our little family. Spend as much time as you can here. Everybody here tries to jump in and lend a hand. OrganicHosting has created this site for us to trade ideas and spread the Airstream word. Best of all its free with no advertising or donation requests.

This is the preferred polisher

http://www.topoftheline.com/cycorpol.html

Here is a link to someone who has done it right.

http://www.zianet.com/rlashway/Polishing.html

Are you sure you need to polish it? It takes a couple hundred hours to give it the Aircraft Polish treatment as it is a multistep process. It is a tremendous amount of work and usually the very last thing done during a restoration. Kind of like painting a restored car is the last step. Have you tried Walbernize'ing it. Not trying to discourage you, just giving you my thoughts.

How is the running gear, brakes, electrical, wood work and appliances? Is it Safe to haul down the road? The very best restoration advice I was given and try to convey to others is to start at the ground and work your way up. When you have made it to the roof you are ready to polish.

Keep us posted on your progress and discoveries and welcome to the family.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 05:46 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Hi Bobby. Thanks for the welcome and the quick response.
Yikes! I knew the polishing would be a difficult chore but I had no idea that it could take 200 hours. Looks like walbernizing is the right course for me. Are we talking about their "One Step" product? The skin on my trailer is actually in pretty good shape but I want to shine it up real nice-like.

As for the rest, it is mechanically sound and the appliances are in good working order. I used tung oil on the woodwork and am pleased with the result. The bathroom floor tiles need to be replaced. Any helpful hints on that?

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 05-25-2002, 06:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Yeah, I know a little about bathroom tiles....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=&threadid=249

Actually, MarilynW removed all our current projects tiles in about 4 hours. They lifted up in almost whole sheets using a gasket scraper and 4 inch putty knife. The adhesive was just dried out completely. Try not to create any dust as they used asbestos in both the tiles and the adhesive. Wear a respirator. Just keep them damp and you should not have any problems.

I would think the Cleaner, Polish and Glaze if it has been years since a treatment. Permaguard for a yearly treatment. In an ideal world Walbernize would be applied yearly.

By the way, you used one of my favorite words..."Yikes!!"

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
Old 05-27-2002, 08:16 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Thanks again for your advice on floor tile removal. I used your technique today and was pleasantly surprised to find a nice smooth floor beneath the damaged tiles.
Removing the toilet and tiles took less than 2 hours and I didn't even have to use any of my favorite cusswords.

Old 05-27-2002, 08:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Excellent news. Keep us posted on your progress and discoveries.

-BobbyWright

Old 05-28-2002, 08:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hi Rog0525

Congratulations on your Overlander. I had one that I pulled from Southern Ohio to Calgary, Alberta last June. Unfortunately it was pelted by large hail in South Dakota on the way home.
It has since been sold and replaced by a 66 Tradewind.

I liked the 2 part door on the Overlander, the arched wheel wells and the unique to 1960 Wally Byam emblem (photo attached)
Attached Images

VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 03:22 PM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
wheel well panels

Speaking of which, the factory added panels on my trailer are badly discolored and stand out from the rest of the skin. I'm hoping that walbernize will help them blend in but am dubious. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	236  

Old 07-29-2002, 01:54 PM   #9
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Angry dried parabond

On closer exam, the panels are not just discolored, they have dried parabond where a previous owner apparently had some tire shades attached. Tried mineral spirits but no go, Walbernizing no go. Help?

Old 04-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #10

1987 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Simcoe , Ontario
Hi there: I am interested in getting the exterior of our 87 Excella in tip top shape and need to know what you mean by "walbernize'ing". I should mention that we live in Canada. Is this a product that would be available in Canada? I am brand new to the forum and any information would be greatly appreciated.
Ruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #11
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggy
Hi there: I am interested in getting the exterior of our 87 Excella in tip top shape and need to know what you mean by "walbernize'ing". I should mention that we live in Canada. Is this a product that would be available in Canada? I am brand new to the forum and any information would be greatly appreciated.
Wow! You found one of my very early posts from nearly 5 years ago. That brings back memories. I never did completely get that stuff off that trailer.
Anyhow, welcome aboard. You can find tons of info on Walbernize by doing a search on these forums and you can buy it directly from RV Recreational Vehicle Car Auto Boat Bus Truck Wax Polish Cleaner Sealer Degreaser Tire Dressing if you feel that's the right product for your application. Good luck.