Old 02-23-2005, 08:42 AM   #1
Somewhere between NY & LA
Polishing...the downside

Hello Everyone,

As I continue my cross country trek I've been thinking about the pro's & con's of polishing.

From the snow & salt of Michigan to the sandblasting of the Desert in Big Bend, I hate to think what my poor Globetrotter would look like now if I had started out polished.

Don't get me wrong, I love a polished trailer and used to own a 66 Caravel I buffed myself.

I just can't help but thinking how it would have gnawed at my guts as I clawed through the snow or spun down a muddy road in four wheel drive if I were puling a shiny rig.

Has anyone done a beautiful polish job and found they were reluctant to pull their trailer intended?

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at:
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
In my experience - a polish job will last a long time - but then I'm in the dry southwest. I pulled my trailer to New Jersey and back through all kinds of rain and the polish job held up great. Just update once a year or so and I think you will be fine.

1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw
1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Originally Posted by Lotek
Has anyone done a beautiful polish job and found they were reluctant to pull their trailer intended?
I did exactly that om my former '71 Caravel. After countless hours of stripping and polishing, I wound up with a very nice shiny trailer which I was reluctant to take to my favorite backwoods camping spots. I was not only concerned with spoiling the polish job, I worried about brush scratches, gravel dings, etc.
I also came to realize that, since I don't have inside storage, maintaining the shine was going to be an ongoing battle. I sold it last fall.
Ideally, I would like to have 2 AS's.... 1 for show at rallies and such, and 1 for the rugged use I subject my TT to. Unfortunately that's just not within my budget right now. Maybe some day.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
As one who looks at the clearcoat peel and thinks a lot about what we want to do about it...would a polish / clearcoat provide the better (not best - as I don't think mirror is an option with clearcoat) of both worlds?
72 Sovereign: L couch, mid-twin, rear-bath
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote