Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2003, 04:39 PM   #1
T&R
1 Rivet Member

Question Polishing roof

Hi everyone, this is our first post. As of yesterday, we are the proud parents of a beautiful A/S. we have read alot about, and seen alot of pictures on polishing the outside. One big question. I don't want to mess up the roof skin (climbing on top), so how do you polish on top? Any advice, comments, or just a simple hi, will be appeciated.

Thanks, Teresa & Rick
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Welcome T & R, This is THE place for good Airstream advice. I was told to lean a ladder against the awning and reach also do not walk on the end caps

Someone told me to cover a board with carpet that spans a couple of roof struts and I could stand on that....but I am hesitant to do that.

I bought a wand with brush for my hose and use that to wash with.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 05:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I purchased two items at Home Depot that made polishing our Safari much easier. A Werner M1-8-16 articulated ladder which can be set up as a 4 foot high 8 foot long work platform. Make sure to add the stabilizer. From this position you can reach the roof except for the center. For the very center, I used a soft Unger faux lampskin covered tool to both apply RV seal and polish. This setup allows you to span the tank cover to get front on the new wide body Airstreams. Hope this helps
Bud Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 05:31 PM   #4
T&R
1 Rivet Member

Thank you. for the replies. It sounds like it is going to be an adventure, to say the least. From others pictures, the end results are spectacular! Thanks again,

Teresa & Rick
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote