Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Polishing regrets?

The wife and I are considering eventually putting the hard work going for the mirror finish. I was wondering if there are some folks out there who think maybe it wasn't worth the effort, blood, sweat, tears and of course, the money.

Some questions:
-Does anyone overly stress-out with worry over keeping their AS clean after a complete shine job? Do you spray off bugs and road grime after pulling into each campground?
-Does anyone yell at their kids for getting fingerprints on the exterior of their AS? I caught myself yelling at my daughter for getting fingerprints on our kitchen refrigerator door, and immediately felt stupid for doing so.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
We did the first cut on ours about 1.5 years ago. An amazing difference! I have not had the time to do the second cut yet, but it still looks much better.

Some people really put in a lot of effort to keep it perfect, others don’t. The real question is, how do you like things. If your ok with thing not perfect, you will be fine. But if you want to keep a perfect mirror finish it will take Work.

And the kids will touch it, leave face prints in it, etc. Could you live with that?
Old 02-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmox View Post
The wife and I are considering eventually putting the hard work going for the mirror finish. I was wondering if there are some folks out there who think maybe it wasn't worth the effort, blood, sweat, tears and of course, the money.

You forgot time. Money is not that much a factor unless you pay someone. The last time I heard was $50 per foot. Probably more now.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I repolish my 26 footer every spring to keep mirror finish! Takes about 20 hours, which pales in comparison to the 150 hours it took to do the first polish!(that is probably why I do it annually!)
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I figure stripping and polishing is a whole lot cheaper than reapplying the clear coat. Polishing is a lot of messy work for sure. The trailer will look good when done.

Every episode of morning dew, rain storm, bird splat, leaf fall, bug splat, etc, will leave a spot or stain on your newly polished Airstream. Your finely polished trailer will have all kinds of flaws soon after you are done unless you leave it in the museum.

A 20 hour once around light polish with the cyclo every year or two does remove the stains. The more you polish, the more you "close the pores" in the aluminum making it harder to stain. But it will spot and stain anyways.

So you must resign yourself that your Airstream looks pooly with "male pattern baldness" as the old clearcoat wears and fades off. It will look better polished, but it won't be perfect.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote