Old 02-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
san diego , California
Polishing question w/ Walberneze

I just ordered some Waleberneze polish. Now, do I have to use some sort of compounding pre-polish before I use the Walberneze? Walberneze is just polish, right? It's not going to remove the pit marks from oxidation - am I right?
Thanks

Old 02-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
It is my understanding that walbernize is used to clean the 1974 and newer airstreams. We are currently removing the oxidation and pitting on our 55 using nuvite products. Nuvite is a series of products that were originally designed to polish aluminum airplanes. There is a lot of good polishing information on the web. Look at www.vintagetrailersupply.com and www.perfectpolish.com There are also a lot of posts on this site regarding polishing the older airstreams.
Lynn

Old 02-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
san diego , California
So why on 1974 and newer? Is it different aluminum? The thing is, is that I haven't got $200 to spend on polish, though I've read alot about the Nuvite products and I know they are probably the best choice - I'm trying to do this on a budget. That's why I bought the Walberneze.
Anyone know of a cheaper way of removing the oxidation other than Nuvite?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandau
Walberneze is just polish, right? It's not going to remove the pit marks from oxidation - am I right?
Thanks
Its NOT polish; its just a wax. yeah, it'll shine it up a bit. but its not going to remove any oxidation or anything like that.

"Polish", by definition, is abrasive. It removes metal, albeit on a very fine scale. Different grades of polish are like different "grits" of sandpaper...just much finer or smaller grit.

You can walbernize a polished trailer, and the wax coating will help to slow down the re-oxidation process. Or, you can use it to shine up a clear-coated trailer, much the same way as you might wax your car. Some people will polish a trailer (hundreds of $$ and hours), then clear-coat it to protect the finsihed alluminum, then wax it to protect the clear-coat....then store it in a hermetically sealed garage to protect the wax from the sun.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Pretty much what everyone said. It's more of a cleaner type wax that won't really get rid of what yer looking to do....... in addition, there are from what I understand 2 types of Walbernize. Stuff for 74 and newer and stuff for 74 and older:

http://www.airstream.com/shop/dynami...=cat&offset=10
Old 02-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi jlandau

walbernize has at least 10 products......3 of which are for exterior surface use...the 2 most often posted about here are used to maintain the plasticoat or newer clearcoated trailers. these 2 products are NOT for your trailer....and really there are better waxes for clearcoat.

they do also offer an aluminum/metal polish product, for non coated, bare aluminum panels....is this what you ordered?

pitting and severe surface damage from oxidation and other outdoor life, will not be removed with any of the milder metal polishes....and may not be removed by even the more abrasive compounds.....

certainly one can try the product you ordered....it's relatively safe if not used with a high abrasion pad....and if you have some skill with the orbital. it will remove light oxidation....and i have used it by hand on fenders, trim and so on...for the trailer you will need help...like the cyclo polisher...

there are 2-3 other more favored polish systems used by airstreamers and plenty of threads here on them...including links to rather detailed 'how to' guides....

use the search function or browse the exterior restoration subset....

many of the spring/summer rv shows and airstream rallies have demos. if i had an old trailer i valued........i'd go to some of the demos and learn....before burning through the top aluminum layer on the panels....

cheers
2air'
Old 02-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1956 26' Crusier Overlander
douglasville , Georgia
As an inexpensive experiment. I went to a local auto parts store and
bought a bottle of the stuff they use to compound cars. I was AMAZED!!!!
I couldn't believe the difference!! My '56 overlander had been 'uncared for'
for who knows how long!!! Lots of oxidation.....but following the advice of
many (albeit using a different product), I am now the proud owner of a
mirror!!! Well, partially anyway...when the weather warms a little, I'll
finish her.
Steve
Old 02-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
san diego , California
This is what I bought. it says it removes oxidation. Are they exaggerating?

"WALBERNIZE CLEANER POLISH & GLAZE is an original formula containing a combination of cleaning, polishing, and glazing ingredients. It provides easy cleaning and polishing action while simultaneously depositing a deeply reflective , water-proof, glaze finish.

WALBERNIZE quickly and easily removes oxidized pigment, traffic film and spots of road oil or tar.

WALBERNIZE glaze finish is long lasting and detergent resistant. It can be used on chrome and glass.
Not recommended for clear coat finishes."
Old 02-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga501
As an inexpensive experiment. I went to a local auto parts store and
bought a bottle of the stuff they use to compound cars. I was AMAZED!!!!
I couldn't believe the difference!! My '56 overlander had been 'uncared for'
for who knows how long!!! Lots of oxidation.....but following the advice of
many (albeit using a different product), I am now the proud owner of a
mirror!!! Well, partially anyway...when the weather warms a little, I'll
finish her.
Steve

Details! Details! and pics if ya got em

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandau
This is what I bought. it says it removes oxidation. Are they exaggerating?

"WALBERNIZE CLEANER POLISH & GLAZE is an original formula containing a combination of cleaning, polishing, and glazing ingredients. It provides easy cleaning and polishing action while simultaneously depositing a deeply reflective , water-proof, glaze finish.

WALBERNIZE quickly and easily removes oxidized pigment, traffic film and spots of road oil or tar.

WALBERNIZE glaze finish is long lasting and detergent resistant. It can be used on chrome and glass.
Not recommended for clear coat finishes."
You bought the stuff to use on finishes prior to 1974. I never have used this product. My only experience is with the Super Seal which I used on new Airstreams.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
san diego , California
Another unrelated question - does anyone know where to get the floor vent covers? I tried Home depot, but they seem to be an off-size.
Thanks!
Old 02-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Floor vents?

What floor vents..... I don't have any floor vents in "Landshark" Can you post a picture? Perhaps some previous owner re-did the heating system on your trailer? I would be interested to know if anyone else with a 66',67', or 68', has floor vents and where are they located? Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:15 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
san diego , California
There are 3 holes in the floor - i assumed they were for vents - maybe they're not? One is to the left of the door, one is in the front table area, and the other is where the frig used to be.
I've sorted my problem - I couldn't find those sizes of grills anywhere, so I just covered them w/ a plate of steel and put wood laminate flooring in.