Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
What in the world is there to break on the outside of a trailer?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

How many Airstreams have you polished? Windows, vents, seals, A/C shroud, antenna, rain guards(flimsy), scratches from scaffolding, dents from slipping, solar rock guard, nameplates, plates, etc. I'm sorry but if I gave my Airstream to someone I would be pissed if they ruined the window seals cause it costs about 150$ to fix those in exact replication. Then you run the risk of breaking the window if the seals is hardend to the window. If you're thinking "Why can't you just tape off the windows?" Well try running a 5,000rpm buffer over that tape. It will melt it into the seal and make a mess and ruin them anyway. So in reality there's alot to ruin or break on an Airstream. Thanx for the question!
bubbles533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Caravanner
..."Why can't you just tape off the windows?" Well try running a 5,000rpm buffer over that tape. It will melt it into the seal and make a mess and ruin them anyway....

I think was my question - but I was more referring to the stripping process.

With your buffing comment - I now ask - how would your buffer get anywhere near the window seals on the 70's trailers??? Are you telling me that it conducts that much heat it would just melt them through 1/8 inch of aluminum frame????

Yes accidents can happen - but with proper equipment, skill and great care - they would be very far and few I would hope. Or at least keep practicing on your own trailers until you can do one with no accidents

To replace our window, door and compartment seals on a little 21'- was a bit more than $150 and don't forget the labour to remove and reinstall - it takes hours to do the job right - and a real bull to get the old glue off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_8609.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	16152  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Well try running a 5,000rpm buffer over that tape. It will melt it into the seal and make a mess and ruin them anyway.
5,000 RPM? At that speed, you'll burn right through the alclad in no time!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
How many Airstreams have you polished? Windows, vents, seals, A/C shroud, antenna, rain guards(flimsy), scratches from scaffolding, dents from slipping, solar rock guard, nameplates, plates, etc. I'm sorry but if I gave my Airstream to someone I would be pissed if they ruined the window seals cause it costs about 150$ to fix those in exact replication. Then you run the risk of breaking the window if the seals is hardend to the window. If you're thinking "Why can't you just tape off the windows?" Well try running a 5,000rpm buffer over that tape. It will melt it into the seal and make a mess and ruin them anyway. So in reality there's alot to ruin or break on an Airstream. Thanx for the question!
Have you polished any at this point? Care has to be taken, on a Vintage there are many items that need to be worked around, that if taken off would be tough to get a replacement. I would not even consider having mine touched it you were to attempt to remove the clear by way of a buffer. Something at that speed could quickly generate enough heat to damage or destroy the aluminum.
Take a look at the POR website and a few others I'd imagine to research chemically removing the clear, if required.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Okay well there's alot to go over here..

On the 70's Airstreams it's a little different. I was refering more to the 50's-60's era Airstreams. And no it would not melt the seams on a 70's from the outside. When I said 150$ I meant for just the seals. For the windows you're looking at another 500$-1000$ (I just did it today).

As for the 5,000rpms it works great and I've had no problems burning at all. It just takes not being stupid with the buffer.

Yes I have done many. I don't use the buffer to strip the clear coat. I'm not stupid thanx. There are alot of things that SHOULD be taken off if you want to do a good job of polishing. Obviously I have replacments for everything I take off and take alot of care in doing so. I've never had anything broken like what I've been talking about but the fear of it happening to someone baby makes me worry. That should make you happy because it's a good thing I don't want to hurt you're Airstream. Yet I'm hacked on about it.

This is exactly why I don't want to do a polishing service. Everybody has all these things on how I should do it and everyone wants to look for my flaws. Even though they've done very little polishing. I think I'll just stick with the 11 Airstreams I have now. This forum makes not want to polish for others.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

By the way StarTrakker you're Excella looks beautiful! Great job on it! You should be very proud.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Okay well there's alot to go over here..
Hey, no offense implied man! Sorry if your taking it was that way

Sounds like you have your hands full, I guess we all know how a polished rig generates some passion.

11 units eh? you should post some pics of you handy work!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
How many Airstreams have you polished?
Exactly one half. No, no, wait, make that two-thirds. But breakage hasn't been an issue, just weather. We're doing the tight spots & window surrounds by hand, certainly, but ran the Cyclo right over the ol' nameplate. So far, I don't see polishing being the big bugaboo that it was supposed to be, just slow, and I don't like the laundry part.

As for the original question, I'm paying my polishing buddy $800-$1000 for an 18-footer without clearcoat or heavy oxidation and with the understanding that I would do some of the work. In reality, though, I tend to lose focus & wander off--after sleeping in first.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:42 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
59caravanner,

Thanks for the compliment. I am proud of it, in fact it got the Gold Award for the 70's decade trailers at the International this year.

Now, OMG you are 20yrs old!! You are an ambitious entrepeneur for one so young. You have great ideas and plans. My compliments.

As you have noticed, there are as many ways to polish a trailer as there are people who polish them. My advice is to listen to what they have to say, pick out the wheat from the chaff and develop your own technique using what you have learned from experience and what you learn from others.

For example, 5000rpm on the buffer seems dangerous for the aluminum skin. You may have a technique that allows you to use that speed. If so, good for you. Since you are not doing other's trailers, then if it does present a problem, it will be on your own unit. The fact that you are experimenting on your own equipment is laudable. There is no liability involved.

Have you looked at www.perfectpolish.com for some insight. There is a link to a site that goes through the whole process. I got most of my information from there (along with all my polishing equipment).

Good luck in your endeavors. It is refreshing to see a young man with ideas and the will to make them come to fruition.

Vic
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Hey thanks so much for your nice comments. It means alot to a little punk like me!

I've been in contact with Tom at perfect polish for some time now. I also use the "Nuvite" method with great results. Thanx for the info!
Old 11-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Best of Luck to you!!!

I can understand your not wishing to expose yourself to the liability of polishing someone elses 'treasure.' If you do go this route you may want to talk to an attorney about having a release form created that would reduce/eliminate unneccessary lawsuits.

PS. I'm not an attorney, but as a financial planner we're always advising our clients about the importance of reducing their personal risk. Another way would be to incorporate your business. Best of Luck!!

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote